GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week

+3
PTFlea
asq2
SensGirl11
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week Empty Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:26 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Posting from the Sun - UPDATE - BRUCE GARRIOCH
This can be moved to the Gameday Thread when it is up.

Pascal Leclaire might not be at the top of his game these days, but expect him to get the call in the Ottawa net Tuesday when the Senators meet the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Ottawa coach Cory Clouston doesn’t name his starter until game day, but expect to see Leclaire make the start against the struggling Maple Leafs. He is the club’s No. 1 backstop and there is no reason to start a goaltending controversy at this stage of the campaign.

Brian Elliott has played well, including his performance Saturday in a 2-1 shootout loss to the New York Rangers, but the thinking is the Senators want to give Leclaire a chance to get into a groove.

“We’re confident. It’s a long season," said Clouston. "Both have played very well. I don’t think it’s going to be very long before Pascal finds his rhythm and I think he’s going to be one of the top goalies in the league."

That wasn’t only update from practice today. The Senators are also looking forward to the return of Anton Volchenkov.

The veteran defenceman, who has missed seven games with an elbow injury, could return to practice tomorrow and could be back on the ice against the Buffalo Sabres Saturday at home.
There was a change to the lines today. Winger Nick Foligno skated with Mike Fisher and Alexei Kovalev.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week 593227

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Sweetness, A-Train back soon!!

The Foligno-Fisher-Kovalev line should be quite interesting. Foligno needs to get going as much as Kovalev does.

I would still like to see Kovalev on line 1 though, hopefully that will be tried again soon.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Come on Leclaire!! Get your groove back!!

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I'm not sure I like Foligno and Kovalev together. Kovalev's a guy who's best working in open ice in the zone, sort of like on a powerplay. Foligno is cycle, cycle, cycle. I don't think that meshes.

Here's what I'd do. Spezza and Michalek are good enough in their own right that they shouldn't need Alfredsson and in fact should be responsible for getting one of the two struggling forward additions going. Alfredsson should play with Regin and get the other one. Finally, FFS gets put back together, which benefitted Fisher last season and also had Shannon and Foligno going.

So,

Michalek - Spezza - Cheechoo/Kovalev
Cheechoo/Kovalev - Regin - Alfredsson
Foligno - Fisher - Shannon

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Diddle yeah. Volchenkov means so much to this team. Saturday...is a long way off, but it's better than a month from now.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm not a fan of the Fisher - Foligo - Kovalev line to be honest.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Now would be a great time for Leclaire to be lights out and win NHL 1st star of the week honors. With Toronto coming in you know it's going to be a battle. Then you have Pittsburgh who just got Malkin back and Buffalo who has Miller playing fantastic hockey right now.

- Unknown Author

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I can see us winning vs. the Leafs but the Pens and Sabres worry me. Then comes Washington (probably with AO back). If the Sens truly think they are a playoff team they need wins vs. the Leafs and Pens and a minimum of an OT/SOL vs. the Sabres and Caps.

- Unknown Author

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

asq2 wrote:I'm not sure I like Foligno and Kovalev together. Kovalev's a guy who's best working in open ice in the zone, sort of like on a powerplay. Foligno is cycle, cycle, cycle. I don't think that meshes.

Here's what I'd do. Spezza and Michalek are good enough in their own right that they shouldn't need Alfredsson and in fact should be responsible for getting one of the two struggling forward additions going. Alfredsson should play with Regin and get the other one. Finally, FFS gets put back together, which benefitted Fisher last season and also had Shannon and Foligno going.

So,

Michalek - Spezza - Cheechoo/Kovalev
Cheechoo/Kovalev - Regin - Alfredsson

You have a good point for sure. I initially cringed a little when I saw that, but thought maybe it could work. We'll see what happens, hopefully it works out, if not Clouston will do what he needs to do.

I would really like to see Kovalev on the top line though. I don't mind seeing Regin with Alfie either, Cheechoo could possibly work out there. Maybe that's who Cheechoo needs to play with to get him going. Alfie is quite good at making everyone around him better, it could work.

Michalek - Spezza - Kovalev
Cheechoo - Regin - Alfie
Ruutu - Kelly - Donovan
Then that leaves Neil out? I don't want to scratch Dono again, I'll tell you that much. Ruutu can't get scratched either, he's been too good. And, of course, we just can't scratch Neil, he's been very good too. Shannon really is the odd man out.

Dilemma. Am I wrong?

Phillips - Lee
Campoli - Kuba
Carkner - Picard Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week 489887 Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week 521674 Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week 853109 I can't anymore...it's too terrible.

When A-Train comes back

Phillips - A-Train
Campoli - Kuba
Lee - Carkner
??? Good?

10Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week Empty Re: Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:39 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

It's a battle of the powerhouses for sure. Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week 159628

Should be an interesting game. Toronto's skaters looked excellent against Calgary, but couldn't beat Kiprusoff and their own goaltending.

Ian White should be good to go, right? He's much improved over the past season and a half, and he's an important piece of their team.

11Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week Empty Re: Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:42 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I can see us winning vs. the Leafs but the Pens and Sabres worry me. Then comes Washington (probably with AO back). If the Sens truly think they are a playoff team they need wins vs. the Leafs and Pens and a minimum of an OT/SOL vs. the Sabres and Caps.

Leafs should be a very interesting game. I hope we can win it, they put so much energy into their games, we'll have to match it and even be better. Good game for Leclaire to get his groove back and some more confidence for sure though.

Sabres, I love playing them! It's a good test for us and they are always serious intense battling games. I'm not worried to be honest. We know Miller. We should be able to battle against them and make a push for a win or at least a point.

Pens we always play some of our best hockey against them, so again, not too too worried. Should be another great battling exciting game.

Washington, forget it! We're done against them, I don't see us winning one game against them. We have as hard a time against them as we do against the B's. We've got to get out of that somehow, it's disastrous.

12Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week Empty Re: Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:46 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:I'm not a fan of the Fisher - Foligo - Kovalev line to be honest.

They played together already. I don't see how this is "new"? Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week 105237

13Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week Empty Re: Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:46 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I watched the Leafs/Flames game and if Gustvasson hadn't of let those softies in right at the start, it would have been a whole different game, but Kiprusoff was playing lights out... unbelievable.

14Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week Empty Re: Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:51 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I'm not a fan of the Fisher - Foligo - Kovalev line to be honest.

They played together already. I don't see how this is "new"? Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week 105237

Have they? I don't really remember, it's not really something that strikes me as being something that would work - unless Foligno turned into a bonafide goal scorer and I missed it somewhere along the way. Cheechoo should be there, because he's been a sniper before and we've seen him snipe one this year and hit about 40 posts.

Kovalev is close to being as good a passer as even the great Spezza, so he needs someone there who can finish. Which is why it's odd that Alfie was moved from that line - although it forced Kovalev to play his wrong wing - which...sucked.

15Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week Empty Re: Sens' Lineup Talk going into this week Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:52 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensGirl11 wrote:Posting from the Sun - UPDATE - BRUCE GARRIOCH
This can be moved to the Gameday Thread when it is up.
GDT is up now!

Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum