GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lee called up

+11
shabbs
SensGirl11
PKC
rooneypoo
wprager
Jordo
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
asq2
jamvan
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

61Lee called up - Page 5 Empty Re: Lee called up Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:49 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:The longest ELC is 3 years is it not? So, at 18, if it slipped twice, they would be 23 when they finished their ELC 5 years later.

The standard ELC for goalies is 4-year. The contract is designed to acknowledge that goalies usually take longer to develop than players at any other position.

62Lee called up - Page 5 Empty Re: Lee called up Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:51 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

rooneypoo wrote:
shabbs wrote:The longest ELC is 3 years is it not? So, at 18, if it slipped twice, they would be 23 when they finished their ELC 5 years later.

The standard ELC for goalies is 4-year. The contract is designed to acknowledge that goalies usually take longer to develop than players at any other position.
Hmmmm... then I'm not sure if the dual slip rule applies to goalies as well. The CBA section 9 only talks about "players", which I assumed included goalies.

63Lee called up - Page 5 Empty Re: Lee called up Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:56 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Hmmmm... then I'm not sure if the dual slip rule applies to goalies as well. The CBA section 9 only talks about "players", which I assumed included goalies.

You know, I'm looking through the CBA section on ELCs right now, and I don't see that distinction between players and goalies any more. It used to be there, I swear. I've been looking at the 2005-06 version for so long that I might be out of date on this one.

64Lee called up - Page 5 Empty Re: Lee called up Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:18 am

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

To be fair, I'll continue my Karlsson argument with Lee.  I'm not a fan of sending Karlsson down for the same reasons I think Lee deserves a fair shot with the NHL sens.  The AHL game can teach a young junior player some things but it's still a big step between AHL and NHL- thus I don't think Karlsson's development will improve all that much in the A and Lee will need some time to adjust to the NHL speed again.

65Lee called up - Page 5 Empty Re: Lee called up Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:29 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Thing is, Lee has been playing NA hockey (smaller rinks, less emphasis on skill, more hitting) for a while, now, while Karlsson has been playing Euro hockey. Before the season started you could definitely make the argument that Karlsson could use a little seasoning in Bingo. After playing 9 games, has he *really* learned all there is to learn about the smaller rink, the more aggressive forecheck, the bigger/faster players?

66Lee called up - Page 5 Empty Re: Lee called up Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:40 am

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

wprager wrote:Thing is, Lee has been playing NA hockey (smaller rinks, less emphasis on skill, more hitting) for a while, now, while Karlsson has been playing Euro hockey. Before the season started you could definitely make the argument that Karlsson could use a little seasoning in Bingo. After playing 9 games, has he *really* learned all there is to learn about the smaller rink, the more aggressive forecheck, the bigger/faster players?
No, for sure Karlsson has more to learn...I'm just not sold on the idea that him playing the year in Bingo will make him THAT much better.  What's the point in sending him down this year (a year you've stated will likely be a 1st round playoff and out year) just for him to have to go through the same learning process (maybe to a slighly lesser degree) next year?  As a professional, the learning should never stop, regardless of where you're playing.  But again, it all comes down to the numbers.I just wanted to make sure I was using the same logic across the board.  So, Lee should be given at least 3-5 games before we completely throw him to the dogs.  He looked like garbage last night, no question...but he certainly wasn't alone there.

67Lee called up - Page 5 Empty Re: Lee called up Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:38 pm

Lee has to figure out what kind of player he is and that wont happen in The NHL. He isnt an offensive D man, he isnt a physical force, he isnt a shut down guy, what is he? We all know what Karlsson is and will be.

Lee has to figure it out and it wont happen in The NHL.

68Lee called up - Page 5 Empty Re: Lee called up Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:40 pm

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

N4L wrote:Lee has to figure out what kind of player he is and that wont happen in The NHL. He isnt an offensive D man, he isnt a physical force, he isnt a shut down guy, what is he? We all know what Karlsson is and will be.

Lee has to figure it out and it wont happen in The NHL.
You're right, if he can't figure out his role in the AHL, he certainly won't get it figured out in the NHL.  A lot of players make adjustments in the NHL as they move along in their career but in Lee's case, I'm starting to question his hockey IQ...watching him last night, it just seems like his head is not in the game.  Somebody (a mentor of some sorts) needs to take him aside and lay it on the line for him because what he's doing isn't working and so far is not enough to make it as an NHLer.  I don't get to see any AHL games but I would love to see how he looks there...whether or not he just can't make the adjustment or if he's zoned out when he plays for bingo as well...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum