GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brendan Bell called up by the Sens

+4
rooneypoo
dennycrane
wprager
shabbs
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Empty Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:17 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Bell has been called up to help on the PP.

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2008/11/16/7430606.html

Who will sit? Hmmmmm...

2Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Empty Re: Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:17 pm

shabbs wrote:Bell has been called up to help on the PP.

Who will sit? Hmmmmm...
Shubert, no question

3Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Empty Re: Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:51 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Tukker wrote:
shabbs wrote:Bell has been called up to help on the PP.

Who will sit? Hmmmmm...
Shubert, no question

I'd have to agree. But I'd sit anyone besides Kuba at this point. Yes, even Volchenkov. It hurts to say that, since he's a Moskvitch like me.

4Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Empty Re: Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:52 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I wonder if this came out of Alfie's team meeting?

5Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Empty Re: Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:03 pm

Nice to see Bell getting a shot. Hopefully he can make the most of it.

6Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Empty Re: Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:14 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

I hope he does well, he has earned a shot.

Having said that, if Brendan Bell is the answer, I don't know that I like the question.

Step 1: Meeting
Step 2: Call out players
Step 3: Rattle your players with callups
Step 4: Trade a longtime player

7Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Empty Re: Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:33 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

dennycrane wrote:I hope he does well, he has earned a shot.

Having said that, if Brendan Bell is the answer, I don't know that I like the question.

Step 1: Meeting
Step 2: Call out players
Step 3: Rattle your players with callups
Step 4: Trade a longtime player

I think there's at least one other step in there before we begin trading longtime players: bench underperforming guys, regardless of the value of their contract. I'd certainly hope we'd start there before we shipped anyone out.

8Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Empty Re: Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:31 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

hemlock34 wrote:Nice to see Bell getting a shot. Hopefully he can make the most of it.

So, Schubert to replace Neil and Bell takes over for Schubert? That's the way I see it.

I'd still like to see a forward or two brought up to make room for some benchings.

9Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Empty Re: Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:36 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
hemlock34 wrote:Nice to see Bell getting a shot. Hopefully he can make the most of it.

So, Schubert to replace Neil and Bell takes over for Schubert? That's the way I see it.

I'd still like to see a forward or two brought up to make room for some benchings.

Then where does one of Ruutu/Zubov play?

10Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Empty Re: Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:58 pm

asq2 wrote:
wprager wrote:

Then where does one of Ruutu/Zubov play?

I think Schubert sits, and Ruutu, Zubov and Bell all get in. Sorry Schubie, someone has to take one for the team. Hartsburg ought to make use of benching players who aren't putting the effort in. Just rotate benchings. After a few, guys might start to get the message.

11Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Empty Re: Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:07 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Well, you can't rotate benching players, that doesn't make a point. You bench a player that deserves to be benched, not just arbitrarily choose someone to bench for the sake of benching. If you bench, say Shuchert, and everyone plays well, then Schubert remains scratched. Not unti lsomeone else falters then does he get back into rotation. That's how you do it, if you're going to do it at all.

I haven't seen many games, thanks to the joys of living in Toronto, so I can't really comment on whether Shubert deserves to not play or if it is merely a numbers game.

Someone made a good point about having Schubert play as your forward and filling in on defence for when one of the defenceman gets a penalty, or worse gets injured, then you place Schubert in as to not have to split up your pairings.

But right now, Ottawa really only has 4 NHL calibre offensive defenceman, and two of them are in the AHL (Bell and Lee), with Picard and Kuba the other two.

12Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Empty Re: Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:12 pm

DashRiprock wrote:Well, you can't rotate benching players, that doesn't make a point. You bench a player that deserves to be benched, not just arbitrarily choose someone to bench for the sake of benching. If you bench, say Shuchert, and everyone plays well, then Schubert remains scratched. Not unti lsomeone else falters then does he get back into rotation. That's how you do it, if you're going to do it at all.

I haven't seen many games, thanks to the joys of living in Toronto, so I can't really comment on whether Shubert deserves to not play or if it is merely a numbers game.

Someone made a good point about having Schubert play as your forward and filling in on defence for when one of the defenceman gets a penalty, or worse gets injured, then you place Schubert in as to not have to split up your pairings.

But right now, Ottawa really only has 4 NHL calibre offensive defenceman, and two of them are in the AHL (Bell and Lee), with Picard and Kuba the other two.
What is Volchie doing wrong?

13Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Empty Re: Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:13 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DashRiprock wrote:Well, you can't rotate benching players, that doesn't make a point. You bench a player that deserves to be benched, not just arbitrarily choose someone to bench for the sake of benching. If you bench, say Shuchert, and everyone plays well, then Schubert remains scratched. Not unti lsomeone else falters then does he get back into rotation. That's how you do it, if you're going to do it at all.

You bench someone for poor play, but then you give them a chance to redeem themselves. So it "looks like" a rotation, because everyone gets to sit once. However repeat offenders will stay longer, so it ceases being a rotation at that point.

And I'd sit Vermette before Schubert.

14Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Empty Re: Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:34 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Tukker wrote:What is Volchie doing wrong?

Nothing? Why?

15Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Empty Re: Brendan Bell called up by the Sens Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:42 pm

DashRiprock wrote:
Tukker wrote:What is Volchie doing wrong?

Nothing? Why?
"But right now, Ottawa really only has 4 NHL calibre offensive
defenceman, and two of them are in the AHL (Bell and Lee), with Picard
and Kuba the other two."

that's implying volchie isnt NHL caliber

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum