GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lee called up

+11
shabbs
SensGirl11
PKC
rooneypoo
wprager
Jordo
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
asq2
jamvan
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

31Lee called up - Page 3 Empty Re: Lee called up Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:18 pm

The Silfer Server

Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:Apparently Tim Murray said that it wasn't too serious of an injury, mor than day to day but not too much more than that. So I hear again, from someone at work that was listening to the Team today. Why would Tim Murray have anythign to say about it?

Clouston himself said weeks, so...yeah.

The official Twitter account says:

NHL_Sens wrote:
Clouston: Volchenkov (elbow) likely out a couple of weeks - will know more when the team returns to Ottawa.

32Lee called up - Page 3 Empty Re: Lee called up Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:20 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensGirl11 wrote:It's a little odd that it would be so long, apparently there aren't broken bones or anything, it sounded more like a deep bruise kind of thing. ANyways, I'm just hoping for the best, hopefully he comes back before 1 month. It's going to hurt us a lot to not have him here for any length of time. Hopefully Kuba stays strong, otherwise, we're in a world of hurt.

Yeah. I think we have a pretty good idea how this will play out.

Lee called up - Page 3 Warhol10

33Lee called up - Page 3 Empty Re: Lee called up Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:24 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

TSN ICE CHIPS -
Defenceman Anton Volchenkov (elbow) is out for a couple of weeks. Brian Lee has been recalled and will play Thursday against the Lightning. Brian Elliott will start in goal. - TSN

34Lee called up - Page 3 Empty Re: Lee called up Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:26 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

ugh Lee? ah well, he will play minor minutes, guess Carkner will be getting a majority of the time, just don't break up Carkner and Picard, they make a great pairing.

35Lee called up - Page 3 Empty Re: Lee called up Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:29 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So, will we see a set of pairings like:

Phillips - Lee
Kuba - Campoli
Picard - Carkner

???

36Lee called up - Page 3 Empty Re: Lee called up Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:31 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

I would say that is most logical, especially after the game Kuba and Campoli had together last night, and Picard/Carkner should not be messed with either, but on the PK, it will be Phillips and Carkner logging big minutes if we get 7 penalties tonight.

37Lee called up - Page 3 Empty Re: Lee called up Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:31 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sens web site reporting now...

http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=504017

38Lee called up - Page 3 Empty Re: Lee called up Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:32 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:It's a little odd that it would be so long, apparently there aren't broken bones or anything, it sounded more like a deep bruise kind of thing. ANyways, I'm just hoping for the best, hopefully he comes back before 1 month. It's going to hurt us a lot to not have him here for any length of time. Hopefully Kuba stays strong, otherwise, we're in a world of hurt.

Yeah. I think we have a pretty good idea how this will play out.

Lee called up - Page 3 Warhol10

Is this facetious SSF speaking, or serious SSF?

For the sake of argument: even assuming that CHI will basically be giving Campbell away in order to get rid of that huge contract, I don't see how we're a fit in terms of what CHI would be looking for. Beyond Volchenkov, we don't have the kind of expiring contracts that they'd want in return, since dumping Campbell would be all about clearing salary for next year in order to sign Kane, Toews, and Keith. CHI can't move Campbell for guys on contracts that go beyond this year (Cheechoo, Kelly, etc.) -- it would defeat the purpose of moving him in the first place. And at this point in the season, you pretty much have to do dollars for dollars.

I get that BM likes Campbell, and that our D does need guy like him, but I'm not sure I see a fit here.

39Lee called up - Page 3 Empty Re: Lee called up Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:42 pm

Get Derek Smith up here if they dont wanna burn a year on Karlsson's deal.

40Lee called up - Page 3 Empty Re: Lee called up Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:04 pm

N4L wrote:Get Derek Smith up here if they dont wanna burn a year on Karlsson's deal.

My understanding is that since he's playing pro hockey (AHL) under his ELC, his contract starts this season anyway. The only thing they gain by sending him down now is a year of seniority. This means he'll still have to complete the prerequisite number of years before being UFA eligible, with this year not counting. Still, going into next season, we'll be on year two of his ELC.

I'm pretty certain that's the way it works. Activating an ELC and seniority years towards UFA status are separate issues. Perhaps Dr. Poo could clarify, but this is my understanding.

41Lee called up - Page 3 Empty Re: Lee called up Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:14 pm

Nope, he's under 20 and doesnt have to go to Jr. That's been discussed, it doesnt count for KArlsson.

42Lee called up - Page 3 Empty Re: Lee called up Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:05 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:Nope, he's under 20 and doesnt have to go to Jr. That's been discussed, it doesnt count for KArlsson.

Yep, also my understanding. I actually said just his in reply to one of your posts, Hemmer, earlier today.

What's up, nobody reading me anymore? A guy gets three jobs and obligations / commitments coming out the @ss, and so doesn't have much time to post, and all of a sudden he's invisible?

Lee called up - Page 3 979942

43Lee called up - Page 3 Empty Re: Lee called up Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:30 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
N4L wrote:Nope, he's under 20 and doesnt have to go to Jr. That's been discussed, it doesnt count for KArlsson.

Yep, also my understanding. I actually said just his in reply to one of your posts, Hemmer, earlier today.

What's up, nobody reading me anymore? A guy gets three jobs and obligations / commitments coming out the @ss, and so doesn't have much time to post, and all of a sudden he's invisible?

Lee called up - Page 3 979942

I didn't see your other post, sorry. I don't see what Karlsson's age has to do with anything. If he's playing in the AHL, he's on his pro contract. I don't see how there is a way around that. It's a pro league and he's being paid a salary under the terms of his pro contract, which is signed with the Senators. I don't see how his ELC doesn't kick in this year regardless of where he plays. Look at players like Jonathan Bernier in LA. He's played less NHL games than Karlsson and is from what I can tell currently on his 2nd year of his ELC from what I can tell at cap geek.

44Lee called up - Page 3 Empty Re: Lee called up Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:33 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Bernier was signed in October of 2006.

45Lee called up - Page 3 Empty Re: Lee called up Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:36 pm

asq2 wrote:Bernier was signed in October of 2006.

Ok, but like I said, he's never hit the magic 10 games in the NHL, yet his ELC has started, so why is Karlsson any different?

I'm trying to establish why Karlsson seems to be exempt from this, but not other (quite a few actually) players.

46Lee called up - Page 3 Empty Re: Lee called up Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:37 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Age?

47Lee called up - Page 3 Empty Re: Lee called up Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:53 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
asq2 wrote:Bernier was signed in October of 2006.

Ok, but like I said, he's never hit the magic 10 games in the NHL, yet his ELC has started, so why is Karlsson any different?

I'm trying to establish why Karlsson seems to be exempt from this, but not other (quite a few actually) players.

The 'first year' of your contract can only slide the first year of the deal (if you don't play 10 games), and no other year. The standard 3-year ELC can stretch out to 4 years, but no more. It's that simple.

For instance:

We signed Brian Lee to his ELC for the 2007-08 season. He played 6 regular season games, and 4 post season games. As a result, the first year of his ELC was burnt -- in hindsight, probably a big mistake here. That's why, now, 2 years later, he's in the last year of his deal.

Jonathan Bernier, by contrast, signed for the 2006-07 season, too. However, here's the catch: goalies sign 4-year ELC deals, not 3, with the option to 'slide' the first year. Bernier didn't play at all in 2006-07; as a result, the first year of his contract 'slid' to the next year. Hence 2007-08 was the first year of his ELC; and even though he didn't play 10 NHL games, he still burnt off the first year of his 4-year contract because the 'sliding' loophole only works once, for year one. Hence, he's now in the 3rd year of his 4-year ELC.

The pro seasons thing you mention is different. After accumulating 7 seasons at the pro level (AHL, NHL, etc.), a player becomes eligible for UFA, regardless of what level he plays those seasons at. That's what you're thinking of, I think. JBo was one of the earliest guys to benefit from this rule change -- he was eligible for UFA at the very young age of 25 because he started playing pro at 18.

Last edited by rooneypoo on Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total

48Lee called up - Page 3 Empty Re: Lee called up Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:59 pm

I dont think it's any mistake for Lee's ELC to come off Ottawa's books at all. I dont think there is any chance Murray doesnt deal that kid for a 3rd or 4th round pick at some point in the next year.

We actually drafted Lee over Staal and Kopitar, like, that actually happend.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum