GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Staal press conference for 2PM

+5
AlfieforPM
beedub
Money Farmer
Cronie
PTFlea
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Staal press conference for 2PM - Page 2 Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:32 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

AlfieforPM wrote:
He had 100+ points in his sophomore season in 05-06. As for the contract and terms.... WAAY too much for Staal. I know the Canes had to keep him no matter what but...wow that is a lot of dough. That contract says he is on par with Ovechkin and Crosby which we all know is false. This makes Spezza and Heatley's contracts look really good.

The more I think about it, the more I agree. Either Heatley and Spezza were the signings of the century, or I go back on liking this deal. 8 million is a million too much. I thought for sure it was gonna be a 7 X 7.

In what world does Eric Staal make more money than Dany Heatley? That's the question that should've been asked in negotiations (which much have been really easy for the Staal camp).

I still like getting this guy locked up for the rest of his productive life, but that extra million is silly and not needed. Now how much is Gaborik gonna ask for? 10?

17Staal press conference for 2PM - Page 2 Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:33 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

[quote="AlfieforPM"]
He had 100+ points in his sophomore season in 05-06.

Says you...no I'm kidding, I completely forgot that he broke the century mark already.

18Staal press conference for 2PM - Page 2 Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:25 am

Money Farmer

Prospect
Prospect

Spezza & Heatley will be unbelieveably underpaid by their final years........Alfie is already a steal..........Philly & A-Train are top notch erasers for 3 and 4 money.

Any team in the NHL would pay between 30-40% more for our core players in the open market.

BMUR has done an amazing job @ GM.

http://www.investorsgroup.com/consult/tim.frisby/english/default

19Staal press conference for 2PM - Page 2 Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:04 am

Gotta give Muckler his props, though, on the A-Train and Rig contracts.

20Staal press conference for 2PM - Page 2 Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:35 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Money Farmer wrote:Spezza & Heatley will be unbelieveably underpaid by their final years........Alfie is already a steal..........Philly & A-Train are top notch erasers for 3 and 4 money.

Any team in the NHL would pay between 30-40% more for our core players in the open market.

Hell yeah, it's awesome. They also took a discount, which is really cool.

Don't forget that Muckler was the guy that extended Phillips and A-Train. Those were stupid good signings!

21Staal press conference for 2PM - Page 2 Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:49 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Actually, as Muckler admitted to the press, it was his assistant GM that did the negotiating. Having said that, it was on Muckler's watch, and they were good signings.

Volchenkov makes 3 mil in his final year, so they will negotiate off of that.

22Staal press conference for 2PM - Page 2 Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:29 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

dennycrane wrote:Actually, as Muckler admitted to the press, it was his assistant GM that did the negotiating. Having said that, it was on Muckler's watch, and they were good signings.

Volchenkov makes 3 mil in his final year, so they will negotiate off of that.

To what I wonder? 4.5? Hopefully he goes for 4 and we can call it a day.

23Staal press conference for 2PM - Page 2 Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:49 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

504Heater wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:WOW!! Now, how will he come out this season after inking such a juicy contract?

First 100 point season for him IMO.
He's already had a 100 point season in 2005-2006when they won the Cup.

24Staal press conference for 2PM - Page 2 Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:23 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Money Farmer wrote:Spezza & Heatley will be unbelieveably underpaid by their final years........Alfie is already a steal..........Philly & A-Train are top notch erasers for 3 and 4 money.

Cannot dispute that... All those contracts will be golden in a few years... The management has done a really good job with the core...

25Staal press conference for 2PM - Page 2 Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:33 am

shabbs wrote:
504Heater wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:WOW!! Now, how will he come out this season after inking such a juicy contract?

First 100 point season for him IMO.
He's already had a 100 point season in 2005-2006when they won the Cup.

Perhaps I am not paying close enough attention to Carolina but an $8M player should be highly visible throughout the league. Since the cup run I would suggest Staal has not been. Just my opinion, perhaps it is marketing only but any other player in that economic strata is usually elite with league wide marketing appeal. We don't line up for Carolina tickets because Staal is coming to town, we do for Cindy, Ovechkin etc...

26Staal press conference for 2PM - Page 2 Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:39 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah I get what you are saying, and i'm sort of the same opinion... 8 million is too much to be giving to Staal, but at the same time, other teams would have done it in a heartbeat, so Carolina's put in a tough spot... In the end I think it will work out, but they shouldn't expect the same output as a Crosby or Ovechkin...

27Staal press conference for 2PM - Page 2 Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:49 am

smash88 wrote:Yeah I get what you are saying, and i'm sort of the same opinion... 8 million is too much to be giving to Staal, but at the same time, other teams would have done it in a heartbeat, so Carolina's put in a tough spot... In the end I think it will work out, but they shouldn't expect the same output as a Crosby or Ovechkin...

There are certainly GMs who don't have depth and try to solve their short term problems with the big contract to the UFAs. In those circumstances they force fiscally responsible teams into tough decisions. The reality for those GMs will set in soon. You can see it in Anahiem with Schnieder (although Atlanta stupidly helped out Burke). You can see it in Chicago with Khabibulin. You will see it in New York with Redden, you can book that.

I think Murray has done the right things here and that a couple years from now our contract situations will look good. Staal at $8M is a bit too high but perhaps Rutherford acted a year too late. Hopefully Carolina doesn't handcuff themselves in this but if they do I am not too invested in their outcome.

28Staal press conference for 2PM - Page 2 Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:41 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

MurderOnIce wrote:
smash88 wrote:Yeah I get what you are saying, and i'm sort of the same opinion... 8 million is too much to be giving to Staal, but at the same time, other teams would have done it in a heartbeat, so Carolina's put in a tough spot... In the end I think it will work out, but they shouldn't expect the same output as a Crosby or Ovechkin...

There are certainly GMs who don't have depth and try to solve their short term problems with the big contract to the UFAs. In those circumstances they force fiscally responsible teams into tough decisions. The reality for those GMs will set in soon. You can see it in Anahiem with Schnieder (although Atlanta stupidly helped out Burke). You can see it in Chicago with Khabibulin. You will see it in New York with Redden, you can book that.

I think Murray has done the right things here and that a couple years from now our contract situations will look good. Staal at $8M is a bit too high but perhaps Rutherford acted a year too late. Hopefully Carolina doesn't handcuff themselves in this but if they do I am not too invested in their outcome.

yeah neither am I, will probably happen soon anyway... it's too bad...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum