GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pittsburgh resigns Staal

+2
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pittsburgh resigns Staal Empty Pittsburgh resigns Staal Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:22 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

At 4 years/16 million.

Great deal. Dammit.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/comments/penguins_extend_staal/

2Pittsburgh resigns Staal Empty Re: Pittsburgh resigns Staal Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:25 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

That's a lot of cabbage.

3Pittsburgh resigns Staal Empty Re: Pittsburgh resigns Staal Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:35 pm

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie

hmm hopefully he develops quite a bit over the coming years. He does a lot of things right but thats quite a bit to throw at him this early.

4Pittsburgh resigns Staal Empty Re: Pittsburgh resigns Staal Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:35 pm

That is an outstanding deal. Staal is a tank and is being held back by his place on the team. Its time for them to cash in on their Malkin investment and get as much back for him as they can - which would be a LOT. They could get a young quality winger, a mid-level prospect, an early round pick, and a replacement for Gonchar all for Malkin.
The idea that they'll keep all three down the middle seems like a stretch.

5Pittsburgh resigns Staal Empty Re: Pittsburgh resigns Staal Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:37 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Nasty Nas wrote:hmm hopefully he develops quite a bit over the coming years. He does a lot of things right but thats quite a bit to throw at him this early.

He's sure no Selke nominee or PP quarterback either.

6Pittsburgh resigns Staal Empty Re: Pittsburgh resigns Staal Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:37 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Wow, Pittsburgh fans are NOT happy with the amount of green he got. I think it's a good deal, but I don't follow the Pens very closely (hate them).

7Pittsburgh resigns Staal Empty Re: Pittsburgh resigns Staal Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:57 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Wow, Pittsburgh fans are NOT happy with the amount of green he got. I think it's a good deal, but I don't follow the Pens very closely (hate them).

They shouldn't be, either.

Think of it this way. The Sens have got just under $23 mil invested in 4 forwards, and unless Fisher picks up his game and the big 3 get back on track, that doesn't appear to be a very sustainable model. Consult your own feelings on this one.

PIT now has $21.4 mil (or just under a million less than the Sens) locked up long-term in 3 -- three! -- forwards. Talk about your recipes for disaster. Malkin and Crosby might be great, but, unless they're all put on one line together (and we here in Ottawa know how well that works, long-term), they're all going to be playing with with cheap renter-jobbers and low-skill (because late draft picks) rookies.

With this new CBA, tho', I don't know if there's anyway to avoid these kinds of situations. Maybe you luck out in the short term -- with steal-of-a-deal contracts, great rookies, etc. -- but in the end it seems inevitable that teams end up with 5 highly paid players surrounded by, for the most part, jobbers.

8Pittsburgh resigns Staal Empty Re: Pittsburgh resigns Staal Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:00 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
504Heater wrote:Wow, Pittsburgh fans are NOT happy with the amount of green he got. I think it's a good deal, but I don't follow the Pens very closely (hate them).

Think of it this way. The Sens have got just under $23 mil invested in 4 forwards, and unless Fisher picks up his game and the big 3 get back on track, that doesn't appear to be a very sustainable model. Consult your own feelings on this one.

PIT now has $21.4 mil (or just under a million less than the Sens) locked up long-term in 3 -- three! -- forwards. Talk about your recipes for disaster. Malkin and Crosby might be great, but, unless they're all put on one line together (and we here in Ottawa know how well that works, long-term), they're all going to be playing with with cheap renter-jobbers and low-skill (because late draft picks) rookies.

With this new CBA, tho', I don't know if there's anyway to avoid these kinds of situations. Maybe you luck out in the short term -- with steal-of-a-deal contracts, great rookies, etc. -- but in the end it seems inevitable that teams end up with 5 highly paid players surrounded by, for the most part, jobbers.

Yup, that's the concern. Also that they can't afford Gonchar anymore (here please!!!) and his successor sucks (Whitney). And Whitney's successors are...okay - not to mention, up for negotiation.

9Pittsburgh resigns Staal Empty Re: Pittsburgh resigns Staal Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:01 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Too much money for him right now, IMO. What has he done to deserve that kind of cash?

10Pittsburgh resigns Staal Empty Re: Pittsburgh resigns Staal Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:58 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:That is an outstanding deal. Staal is a tank and is being held back by his place on the team. Its time for them to cash in on their Malkin investment and get as much back for him as they can - which would be a LOT. They could get a young quality winger, a mid-level prospect, an early round pick, and a replacement for Gonchar all for Malkin.

Malkin's arguably the best or second best forward in the game, at 22.

I would deal Staal before considering moving Malkin.

11Pittsburgh resigns Staal Empty Re: Pittsburgh resigns Staal Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:24 am

asq2 wrote:
cash wrote:That is an outstanding deal. Staal is a tank and is being held back by his place on the team. Its time for them to cash in on their Malkin investment and get as much back for him as they can - which would be a LOT. They could get a young quality winger, a mid-level prospect, an early round pick, and a replacement for Gonchar all for Malkin.

Malkin's arguably the best or second best forward in the game, at 22.

I would deal Staal before considering moving Malkin.

I'd move Crosby, before I moved Malkin.

12Pittsburgh resigns Staal Empty Re: Pittsburgh resigns Staal Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:26 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I fail to see why they didn't move him this past summer. Surely they could've improved their team long run, no?

Although I actually feel the $$ is okay (he's just...huge and skilled), I wonder what they heck these guys are gonna do. There is a salary cap after all.

13Pittsburgh resigns Staal Empty Re: Pittsburgh resigns Staal Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:28 am

rooneypoo wrote:

I think the model under the cap will be suck for awhile and load up. Then start your 5-10 year window(depending how well your players turn out and how well you manage the cap) of taking a shot at a Stanley Cup(s) , then blow it up and start over. The alternative is to kidnap Holland, Nill, and the scouting staff from the Wings.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum