GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Staal press conference for 2PM

+5
AlfieforPM
beedub
Money Farmer
Cronie
PTFlea
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Staal press conference for 2PM Empty Staal press conference for 2PM Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:05 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Eric Staal and the Hurricanes have reached a long term, 7 year deal. There will be a presser at 2 in Carolina to announce that Staal will remain with the team.

Terms have not been disclosed, but the thoughts are that this is similar to the Jason Spezza 7 X 7 signing.

2Staal press conference for 2PM Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:10 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

WOW!! Now, how will he come out this season after inking such a juicy contract?

3Staal press conference for 2PM Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:31 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronenbergfan wrote:WOW!! Now, how will he come out this season after inking such a juicy contract?

First 100 point season for him IMO.

4Staal press conference for 2PM Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:50 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

perhaps... Here's hoping he stays healthy and keeps his eye on the prize!

5Staal press conference for 2PM Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:16 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Look out, this is apparently worth over 8 million a year. Possibly a 56 million dollar package.

6Staal press conference for 2PM Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:01 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

504Heater wrote:Look out, this is apparently worth over 8 million a year. Possibly a 56 million dollar package.

Are you kidding me?!?!

Whoa!! He better play for it, or rather maintain or increase his play...

But, on the other hand, nice payday Staal! *whistling* WOW

7Staal press conference for 2PM Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:29 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronenbergfan wrote:
504Heater wrote:Look out, this is apparently worth over 8 million a year. Possibly a 56 million dollar package.

Are you kidding me?!?!

Whoa!! He better play for it, or rather maintain or increase his play...

But, on the other hand, nice payday Staal! *whistling* WOW

He's worth it though. Great player.

8Staal press conference for 2PM Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:52 pm

Money Farmer

Money Farmer
Prospect
Prospect

He's not worth $8M/yr. Alfie only makes $5.46/yr.

Staal is a good two way centre (with size) but not a great player. He had one great season 05-06. One great season equals $8M/yr????

He should be making $5M to $6M tops.

http://www.investorsgroup.com/consult/tim.frisby/english/default

9Staal press conference for 2PM Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:11 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I would tend to disagree with Farmer. Staal is very much a Spezza style player, and in my humble opinion worth $8 mil x 6. He is the foundation of the Canes team

10Staal press conference for 2PM Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:36 pm

Money Farmer wrote:He's not worth $8M/yr. Alfie only makes $5.46/yr.

Staal is a good two way centre (with size) but not a great player. He had one great season 05-06. One great season equals $8M/yr????

He should be making $5M to $6M tops.
i agree

11Staal press conference for 2PM Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:55 pm

AlfieforPM

AlfieforPM
Prospect
Prospect

504Heater wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:WOW!! Now, how will he come out this season after inking such a juicy contract?

He had 100+ points in his sophomore season in 05-06. As for the contract and terms.... WAAY too much for Staal. I know the Canes had to keep him no matter what but...wow that is a lot of dough. That contract says he is on par with Ovechkin and Crosby which we all know is false. This makes Spezza and Heatley's contracts look really good.

12Staal press conference for 2PM Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:46 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

AlfieforPM wrote:
504Heater wrote:

He had 100+ points in his sophomore season in 05-06. As for the contract and terms.... WAAY too much for Staal. I know the Canes had to keep him no matter what but...wow that is a lot of dough. That contract says he is on par with Ovechkin and Crosby which we all know is false. This makes Spezza and Heatley's contracts look really good.

I have to agree - this contract is essentially equal to Crosby. Is his value equal to Sid? (granted he doesn't whine nearly as much, but still...)

Carolina may have handcuffed themselves somewhat - they have now indicated that they are willing to loosen the purse-strings for a "very high-end" player, instead of waiting for the "elite" (poor wording, I know). What happens when the deadline deal for an elite UFA comes up? (or do they not believe in keeping "rentals", like Hossa in Pitt?, or worse, do they not plan on being contenders through the life of this contract?)

13Staal press conference for 2PM Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:32 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

AlfieforPM wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I agree. Either Heatley and Spezza were the signings of the century, or I go back on liking this deal. 8 million is a million too much. I thought for sure it was gonna be a 7 X 7.

In what world does Eric Staal make more money than Dany Heatley? That's the question that should've been asked in negotiations (which much have been really easy for the Staal camp).

I still like getting this guy locked up for the rest of his productive life, but that extra million is silly and not needed. Now how much is Gaborik gonna ask for? 10?

14Staal press conference for 2PM Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:33 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

[quote="AlfieforPM"]
He had 100+ points in his sophomore season in 05-06.

Says you...no I'm kidding, I completely forgot that he broke the century mark already.

15Staal press conference for 2PM Empty Re: Staal press conference for 2PM Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:25 am

Money Farmer

Money Farmer
Prospect
Prospect

Spezza & Heatley will be unbelieveably underpaid by their final years........Alfie is already a steal..........Philly & A-Train are top notch erasers for 3 and 4 money.

Any team in the NHL would pay between 30-40% more for our core players in the open market.

BMUR has done an amazing job @ GM.

http://www.investorsgroup.com/consult/tim.frisby/english/default

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum