GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anti-virus software recommendations

+10
rooneypoo
spader
SensFan71
wprager
LeCaptain
Phoenix30
Hockeyhero22000
Tuk Tuk
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

61Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 5 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:05 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, sorry about that. Not sure why I thought you were asking about the OS.

Anyhow, it seems to be OK now.

62Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 5 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:06 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Yeah, sorry about that. Not sure why I thought you were asking about the OS.

Anyhow, it seems to be OK now.
Was it an "I-D-10-T" error?

Wink

Something between the keyboard and the chair?

Wink

63Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 5 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:42 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

You mean PIBSAK (problem is between seat and keyboard).

No, there is definitely something there. Just found this:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=45715.0

Vista + Avast = Control Panel not responding
« on: May 29, 2009, 10:35:05 PM »

Have a new Dell 1545 Laptop (4Gb Ram; 32 bit OS) with Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed. Laptop is 2 months old and when I re-booted Avast after installation there weren't any infected files found. Downloaded and installed Avast Anti Virus (Avast Home Edition - Free 4.8.1335.90414) today.

Now Control Panel won't show any options and keeps showing as 'Not Responding'. Just shows the main panel but is all white where the icons should be!!! Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 5 Huh

Is there a cure or a simple solution to resolve this or is there some sort of incompatibility issue?

Note:
this laptop came with a trial version of McAfee pre-installed which
I've done nothing with. Should this have been un-installed first?? Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 5 Undecided

Re: Vista + Avast = Control Panel not responding
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 11:14:04 PM »

Yes it should have been uninstalled first as two AVs can conflict, even after an uninstall some remnants can be left behind.

I uninstalled McAfee but had not rebooted yet. That must have been the problem. Unfortunately my initial googling found some less direct answers.

64Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 5 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:02 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Solution: buy a Mac, and don't ever worry about anti-virus software ever again.

Seriously. That's what I did. I don't ever look back, either.

well you could do that, but a lot of us are afraid of change :^^^^:

Yes, but when the change is from a long cloudy week to a sunshiny day, or a long cold winter to hot summer day, you should welcome it.

Seriously, it's nice out here. Come try it. No anti-virus crap eating up RAM, no firewalls, no blue-screens-of-death, no freezing whatsoever.

Yes, I am a brand new Mac user. Smile I never used one a day in my life before last week, and already it feels like home.

Glad to hear about your experience - I'm on the verge of making the switch (I have a home network with anywhere up to seven computers running at any one time, including at least one server - two adults and four kids). It will clearly be a gradual transition...

For those that were questioning whether it's worth switching due to the games, etc, check out this site: www.hackintosh.com If you are willing to to some tweaking (which I'm not), then it seems it's possible to get OS X running on relatively powerful PC hardware cheaper than what Apple sells. It is basically Linux, after all. This sort of high end hardware would make dual boot systems more tenable as PC game machines as well.

In terms of antivirus, I have been told by those more expert than me that it is worthwhile to have an antivirus installed on a Mac. The OS is converging with that of the iPod Touch and iPhone, and apparently that makes it more of a target for virus writers (no, I have no idea how this makes a difference; I always thought that the iPod/iPhone OS were just slimmed down versions of OS X already)

Finally, in terms of cost, everyone that I have spoken to (I avoid the "Mac fanboi" type) has proven to me time and time again that the long-term cost of ownership is actually lower. I have colleagues that have MacBooks from 2003 that still run well, and are still usable. I'd challenge anyone to find a PC laptop in the same price category (in 2003) that would even be tolerable now. Most that I have had last about two years.

That's my 2 cents.

65Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 5 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:56 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Did something recently change with Avast? I installed it on my desktop a couple months ago and it's been running mostly transparently ever since then (with one sort-of interesting exception*).

A little while later I installed it on my son's laptop. Now, this one recently turned itself off and insists that I register it -- I need a license key to turn it back on. The license key is free for the personal use home edition, but it will need to be renewed yearly. Also the registration key is not getting here in any hurry whatsoever -- I've been waiting about 10 minutes already, and the instructions only say "within 24 hours".

Now here's the interesting part -- both are version 4.8 Home edition. It's possible that I haven't rebooted my desktop in a while so it continues running while it's still resident, and if I reboot now it will shut down just like the one on my son's laptop. It's also possible that it behaves differently with Vista versus XP. Not all that important, really, but I hate not knowing.

* The one quirky thing Avast did was tag "Plant Tycoon.exe" as a worm. Plant Tycoon is just some game one of my kids downloaded -- probably just a demo version, and who knows, maybe Avast confuses nagware with worms? The *really weird* thins is my kid claims he downloaded it "like two years ago" (he exaggerates, but it's still likely to have been quite a while ago) and has not used it "like for ever".

So, why did Avast all of a sudden (it seems) find something suspicious about it?

66Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 5 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:00 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

My wife's Mom's Avast installation (which I did) had the same thing happen the other day with the license. Not sure why, but I had her request a new one and when it arrived, she entered it and all was fine. Not sure what was up with that.

Give the email some time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum