GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anti-virus software recommendations

+10
rooneypoo
spader
SensFan71
wprager
LeCaptain
Phoenix30
Hockeyhero22000
Tuk Tuk
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

46Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 4 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:41 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Yeah, I'm telling ya, 'once you go Mac, you never go back (to PC).'

are the MACs still linux based or have they moved onto more of hte GUI based system?

To tell the truth, SF71, I have no idea what you just asked me. Smile

I use a Mac because it's simple, direct, and hassle free. And that's because it's not Windows based. That's about all I know.

47Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 4 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:49 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Yeah, I'm telling ya, 'once you go Mac, you never go back (to PC).'

are the MACs still linux based or have they moved onto more of hte GUI based system?

To tell the truth, SF71, I have no idea what you just asked me. Smile

I use a Mac because it's simple, direct, and hassle free. And that's because it's not Windows based. That's about all I know.

ah okay, no worries there, huge points for getting away from a windows based, overbloated OS. Linux is a command driven OS as opposed to point and clicking, runs much smoother, but of course, a bit more effort to getting it working.

48Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 4 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:18 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Macs have been GUI based since the days of the Applebefore the PC. What were you talking about? Or are you referring to the fact that the OS X (the Macs' OS since the early 2000s) is based largely on FreeBSD and NetBSD Unix? Not sure where Linux fits in.

Here is a little history:

Microsoft was deeply involved in the development of the Macintosh. Microsoft had been the first outside developer to get a Macintosh prototype. The prototype was promptly nicknamed SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device) by Bill Gates and Charles Simonyi.

Microsoft developed productivity software that the Macintosh desperately needed to make the Macintosh a contender in corporate markets.

After the public unveiling of the Macintosh, Bill Gates personally wrote John Sculley, urging him to license the software and ROMs to outside manufacturers so that the Macintosh would become the new standard in personal computing. This was two years after Microsoft began development of Interface Manager, renamed Windows shortly before release.)

The proposal, dated June 25, 1985, was soundly rejected by Jean-Louis Gassée, who was given control of the Macintosh and Lisa after Steve Jobs had been stripped of management responsibilities. Gassée reasoned that the Macintosh was so vastly superior to the existing PC graphical environments that Apple would never face any serious competition and would be able to rely on profit-rich hardware sales (with margins over 55% until the early 90s).

Besides protecting profits, Gassée was probably a little distrustful of Microsoft's motives. It was in Microsoft's interest to maintain the IBM PC standard for as long as possible, since Microsoft controlled most of the operating system market and most of the developer's tools market. In Gassée's mind, the proposal could have been an attempt to sabotage the Macintosh.

In later interviews, however, Bill Gates himself points out that Microsoft made a lot more money selling a Mac user a copy of Word and MultiPlan (the predecessor of Excel), than selling an OEM DOS licenses, so a Macintosh standard would have benefited both companies in the long term.

Despite Gassée's objections to the plan, Sculley believed that it could help Apple establish the Macintosh as the personal computer standard, supplanting the IBM PC and MS-DOS. Sculley had Dan Eilers, one of his aides, prepare a list of possible licensing deals. The list of suggestions included selling entire system boards to manufacturers, porting the Macintosh software to the IBM PC and selling the software to consumers, partnering with a workstation vendor, and others.

49Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 4 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:26 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensFan71 wrote:

MACs are now running OSX... it still has it's roots in Unix and is a very stable OS... and can run on PC hardware if you tweak it enough.

Linux and UNIX both have awesome GUIs... you just need to fire them up. Everybody assumes they're command line only... but that is not the case.

Linux has Gnome, Motif, KDE etc... and UNIX has X-Windows and they can all be made to look very similar to Windows with various enhancements and skins.

50Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 4 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:08 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Umm, "X Window" actually. No 's'. I never understood that, but that's what it is.

51Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 4 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:58 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Umm, "X Window" actually. No 's'. I never understood that, but that's what it is.

that's to prevent copyright infringement, and wasn't aware there was that many GUI's for Linux Shabbs, I have really been out of touch.

52Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 4 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:26 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Every OS vendor has their flavor of a window manager. Back when I was working with SunOS it came with olwm (OpenLook Window Manager) and there was olvwm (v=Virtual) which extended olwm with multiple desktops. Then there are the third party managers (like KDS). I was sort of conservative, and stuck to olvwm, but there were several others in use. And then when we moved to Linux the choices were even greater.

53Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 4 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:01 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Umm, "X Window" actually. No 's'. I never understood that, but that's what it is.
True, but no one cares... should have just stuck with X11.

Wink

54Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 4 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:57 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I just got my son's laptop (Vista Home 64-bit version). and am setting it up with Avast. Unfortunately there is a nasty side-effect that Control Panel (and quite possibly anything that requires Windows Explorer) just hangs. I googled "vista control panel hangs" and found the avast link. Disabling avast "fixes" the problem. The issue is that I already de-installed the trial version of McAfee that came with the laptop. I really want to get avast to qork with vista. Their website says it's compatible since version 4.7.892 and I've downloaded 4.8.

I'm sure I can figure this out given enough time, but I was hoping someone's already gone through this and figured it out.

55Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 4 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:18 pm

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

wprager wrote:I just got my son's laptop (Vista Home 64-bit version). and am setting it up with Avast. Unfortunately there is a nasty side-effect that Control Panel (and quite possibly anything that requires Windows Explorer) just hangs. I googled "vista control panel hangs" and found the avast link. Disabling avast "fixes" the problem. The issue is that I already de-installed the trial version of McAfee that came with the laptop. I really want to get avast to qork with vista. Their website says it's compatible since version 4.7.892 and I've downloaded 4.8.

I'm sure I can figure this out given enough time, but I was hoping someone's already gone through this and figured it out.
Hmmm...are you running avast home or professional?  I have vista 64 bit as well, running avast professional and control panel never hangs...

56Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 4 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:27 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, weird.

With the on-access scan disabled, I started up Control Panel. Then I re-enabled on-access scan. Control Panel seemed to be fine. I tried a couple of applications (from Control Panel) with no issues, then I closed Control Panel and re-opened it. Again, no problems this time.

I've got to run now, but later I'll try re-starting the laptop to see if the original problem comes back. If not, then I'll have to next figure out how to schedule the full scan in Vista. I bet it's a bit different from XP.

57Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 4 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:28 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Vandelay wrote:
wprager wrote:I just got my son's laptop (Vista Home 64-bit version). and am setting it up with Avast. Unfortunately there is a nasty side-effect that Control Panel (and quite possibly anything that requires Windows Explorer) just hangs. I googled "vista control panel hangs" and found the avast link. Disabling avast "fixes" the problem. The issue is that I already de-installed the trial version of McAfee that came with the laptop. I really want to get avast to qork with vista. Their website says it's compatible since version 4.7.892 and I've downloaded 4.8.

Hmmm...are you running avast home or professional? I have vista 64 bit as well, running avast professional and control panel never hangs...

Home 64-bit (it's actually in my post).

58Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 4 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:33 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
Vandelay wrote:

Hmmm...are you running avast home or professional? I have vista 64 bit as well, running avast professional and control panel never hangs...

He asked which version of Avast, not Vista. Vandelay - I'm pretty sure he's running Avast Home (free) edition.

59Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 4 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:46 pm

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
Vandelay wrote:

He asked which version of Avast, not Vista. Vandelay - I'm pretty sure he's running Avast Home (free) edition.
Well, find a good torrent site (I recommend mininova) and get the professional version...free edtion.  I'm on a laptop with pes2009 minimized and about 15 other programs running with opera(browser) open with about 15 tabs and I don't freeze.  64-bit windows kills it.

60Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 4 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:49 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

That shouldn't be necessary... Avast does indicate that ALL versions work fine with Vista 64-bit.

61Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 4 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:05 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, sorry about that. Not sure why I thought you were asking about the OS.

Anyhow, it seems to be OK now.

62Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 4 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:06 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Yeah, sorry about that. Not sure why I thought you were asking about the OS.

Anyhow, it seems to be OK now.
Was it an "I-D-10-T" error?

Wink

Something between the keyboard and the chair?

Wink

63Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 4 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:42 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

You mean PIBSAK (problem is between seat and keyboard).

No, there is definitely something there. Just found this:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=45715.0

Vista + Avast = Control Panel not responding
« on: May 29, 2009, 10:35:05 PM »

Have a new Dell 1545 Laptop (4Gb Ram; 32 bit OS) with Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed. Laptop is 2 months old and when I re-booted Avast after installation there weren't any infected files found. Downloaded and installed Avast Anti Virus (Avast Home Edition - Free 4.8.1335.90414) today.

Now Control Panel won't show any options and keeps showing as 'Not Responding'. Just shows the main panel but is all white where the icons should be!!! Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 4 Huh

Is there a cure or a simple solution to resolve this or is there some sort of incompatibility issue?

Note:
this laptop came with a trial version of McAfee pre-installed which
I've done nothing with. Should this have been un-installed first?? Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 4 Undecided

Re: Vista + Avast = Control Panel not responding
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 11:14:04 PM »

Yes it should have been uninstalled first as two AVs can conflict, even after an uninstall some remnants can be left behind.

I uninstalled McAfee but had not rebooted yet. That must have been the problem. Unfortunately my initial googling found some less direct answers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum