GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anti-virus software recommendations

+10
rooneypoo
spader
SensFan71
wprager
LeCaptain
Phoenix30
Hockeyhero22000
Tuk Tuk
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Anti-virus software recommendations Empty Anti-virus software recommendations Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:30 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hey GMHockey computer wiz members:

I need to download some anti-virus software and I want a good one. I have heard not all anti-virus software programs are alike and some actually make your computer worse off so let me know what you recommend please.

Thank you in advance.

- Unknown Author

2Anti-virus software recommendations Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:31 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I use Avast.... free and good.

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

3Anti-virus software recommendations Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:32 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

AVG

4Anti-virus software recommendations Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:32 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

And if anyone's looking for a good, free Firewall...

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html

Comodo is very good.

5Anti-virus software recommendations Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:34 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

AVG is very good and i had it reccomended to my by a computer engineer who had fixed my computer many times he told me it is the best one out there and it is free

6Anti-virus software recommendations Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:36 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Careful with the latest versions of AVG... they've started to bloat their "free" software. I gave up on it and moved to Avast.

7Anti-virus software recommendations Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:38 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

and by bloat you mean?

8Anti-virus software recommendations Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:41 pm

I use Trend Micro. It has a buttload of features, is relatively cheap and really doesn't monopolize your system. I've been using it for several years now.

9Anti-virus software recommendations Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:58 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:and by bloat you mean?
Add lots of useless stuff... slows it down...

10Anti-virus software recommendations Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:01 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

I am current trying avira....

11Anti-virus software recommendations Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:02 pm

shabbs wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:and by bloat you mean?
Add lots of useless stuff... slows it down...

That's one of my favorite things about Trend Micro...you only run the feature you choose and it's a simple click to shut down the program.

12Anti-virus software recommendations Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:45 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:I use Avast.... free and good.

This, unbeatable.

13Anti-virus software recommendations Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:40 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm going to have to check out avast, I think. I've been using AVG for a few years and, you're right, it's begun to get too big for my britches.

I've got a low-end PC (a 4-5 year old eMachines -- never again buy an eMachnes, but that's another story) and when AVG is running its comprehensive scan it sucks up the CPU for a couple of hours -- and I only have an 80 GB drive that's about half full. As well, I've got a multi-user installation (all six of us have an account) and the update nags happen for everyone, which means that the update checker is running for everyone -- frankly, I don't want my kids involved in the decision of what and when to upgrade. Is it too much to ask that only the user(s) with admin privileges run the updater?

14Anti-virus software recommendations Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:25 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

[url=http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html[/quote[/url]]

this one beats AVG by a mile, noticed like you said with AVG 8, the package was starting to bloat and cause major slow downs on my pc.

15Anti-virus software recommendations Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:34 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, just unloaded AVG and installed Avast. Couple questions:

1. Where is the option to select when to do a full scan? I want to schedule it at something like 1AM every Monday morning. Couldn't (quickly) find it. I don't want it to scan at startup every time, which is what it is currently insisting on doing.

2. While looking for the full scan scheduling option, I started up the simple user interface. There it asked me for a registration license and said I had 59 days left on the demo license. So is this just a time-limited demo that expires in 2 months?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum