GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anti-virus software recommendations

+10
rooneypoo
spader
SensFan71
wprager
LeCaptain
Phoenix30
Hockeyhero22000
Tuk Tuk
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

31Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:31 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:Solution: buy a Mac, and don't ever worry about anti-virus software ever again.

Seriously. That's what I did. I don't ever look back, either.

well you could do that, but a lot of us are afraid of change :^^^^:

32Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:59 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Solution: buy a Mac, and don't ever worry about anti-virus software ever again.

Yes, but when the change is from a long cloudy week to a sunshiny day, or a long cold winter to hot summer day, you should welcome it.

Seriously, it's nice out here. Come try it. No anti-virus crap eating up RAM, no firewalls, no blue-screens-of-death, no freezing whatsoever.

Yes, I am a brand new Mac user. Smile I never used one a day in my life before last week, and already it feels like home.

33Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:04 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Yes, but when the change is from a long cloudy week to a sunshiny day, or a long cold winter to hot summer day, you should welcome it.

Seriously, it's nice out here. Come try it. No anti-virus crap eating up RAM, no firewalls, no blue-screens-of-death, no freezing whatsoever.

Yes, I am a brand new Mac user. Smile I never used one a day in my life before last week, and already it feels like home.

hmmmm something to think about, me I would switch in a heartbeat, but my wife refuses to tread away from the PC safeland, besides she would complain that Sims 3 probably would not work on a MAC. I would prefer running Linux on a MAC system if I had my choice.

34Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:06 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If I were some kind of Rockefeller or other big-shot I would have bought a Mac years ago.

35Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:54 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Shabbs and SF71, thanks a bunch. Avast is installed, licensed, and scheduled to run early Monday mornings. Now, if it finishes the scan before I get up on Monday I'll be impressed. With AVG I first started running it at 5AM, then moved it back to 3, then finally 1AM, and it would still (usually) be chugging away when I got up at 5:30 or 6. That's with a half-full 80 GB drive. I think I need to get rid of some crap. Like Microsoft Works -- don't think I ever used it.

36Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:01 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Shabbs and SF71, thanks a bunch. Avast is installed, licensed, and scheduled to run early Monday mornings. Now, if it finishes the scan before I get up on Monday I'll be impressed. With AVG I first started running it at 5AM, then moved it back to 3, then finally 1AM, and it would still (usually) be chugging away when I got up at 5:30 or 6. That's with a half-full 80 GB drive. I think I need to get rid of some crap. Like Microsoft Works -- don't think I ever used it.

you won't be thanking us when you get our bill, just kidding, as always, glad to help Prags, welcome to the wonderful world of Avast.

37Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:47 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

I woudl recommend a Mac to people who do general stuff on a computer, don't have the time to dig through drivers and softwares and have the cash to spend on it. However for people like me who play games, uses a lot of 3rd party dev softwares and upgrades components every 1-2 years it's kind of impossible.
Oh, and I hate ipods and iTunes Frustrated2

38Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:07 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:If I were some kind of Rockefeller or other big-shot I would have bought a Mac years ago.

Haha, dude, I'm a just-finished graduate student, and have lived as a student for 11 years. I lived on, and continue to live on, less than $30,000 a year. If you work at Subway 40 hours a week, you can afford a Mac -- and NHL Centre Ice.

39Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:09 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:If I were some kind of Rockefeller or other big-shot I would have bought a Mac years ago.

Haha, dude, I'm a just-finished graduate student, and have lived as a student for 11 years. I lived on, and continue to live on, less than $30,000 a year. If you work at Subway 40 hours a week, you can afford a Mac -- and NHL Centre Ice.

Not with 3 kids (one goalie), a mortgage and 2 car payments you can't, Your Majesty. DancingBanana

40Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:45 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Not with 3 kids (one goalie), a mortgage and 2 car payments you can't, Your Majesty. DancingBanana

I'm paying for half the mortgage and the car, peon.

41Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:47 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Peon is a little mean. You could have went easy and compared me to the fat, be-spectacled nerd who represents the PC. DancingBanana

42Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:49 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Peon is a little mean. You could have went easy and compared me to the fat, be-spectacled nerd who represents the PC. DancingBanana

Well, my point about the Mac decision is that it's all about the priorities you set for yourself. Anyone who works can afford one. Or NHL CI. Even if it takes time (i.e., savings). Tho' kids complicate that a lot, I agree.

43Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:54 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:Well, my point about the Mac decision is that it's all about the priorities you set for yourself. Anyone who works can afford one. Or NHL CI. Even if it takes time (i.e., savings). Tho' kids complicate that a lot, I agree.

I'm just horsing around, as usual. The Mac is a wonderful machine and I fully intend to own one when my current PC no longer cuts it.

In fact, I was looking into getting a "beige" Mac about 2 years ago. There are versions that were made which can rival todays Macs for performance with the right upgrades.

44Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:27 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, I'm telling ya, 'once you go Mac, you never go back (to PC).'

45Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:29 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:Yeah, I'm telling ya, 'once you go Mac, you never go back (to PC).'

are the MACs still linux based or have they moved onto more of hte GUI based system?

46Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:41 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Yeah, I'm telling ya, 'once you go Mac, you never go back (to PC).'

are the MACs still linux based or have they moved onto more of hte GUI based system?

To tell the truth, SF71, I have no idea what you just asked me. Smile

I use a Mac because it's simple, direct, and hassle free. And that's because it's not Windows based. That's about all I know.

47Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:49 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

To tell the truth, SF71, I have no idea what you just asked me. Smile

I use a Mac because it's simple, direct, and hassle free. And that's because it's not Windows based. That's about all I know.

ah okay, no worries there, huge points for getting away from a windows based, overbloated OS. Linux is a command driven OS as opposed to point and clicking, runs much smoother, but of course, a bit more effort to getting it working.

48Anti-virus software recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: Anti-virus software recommendations Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:18 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Macs have been GUI based since the days of the Applebefore the PC. What were you talking about? Or are you referring to the fact that the OS X (the Macs' OS since the early 2000s) is based largely on FreeBSD and NetBSD Unix? Not sure where Linux fits in.

Here is a little history:

Microsoft was deeply involved in the development of the Macintosh. Microsoft had been the first outside developer to get a Macintosh prototype. The prototype was promptly nicknamed SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device) by Bill Gates and Charles Simonyi.

Microsoft developed productivity software that the Macintosh desperately needed to make the Macintosh a contender in corporate markets.

After the public unveiling of the Macintosh, Bill Gates personally wrote John Sculley, urging him to license the software and ROMs to outside manufacturers so that the Macintosh would become the new standard in personal computing. This was two years after Microsoft began development of Interface Manager, renamed Windows shortly before release.)

The proposal, dated June 25, 1985, was soundly rejected by Jean-Louis Gassée, who was given control of the Macintosh and Lisa after Steve Jobs had been stripped of management responsibilities. Gassée reasoned that the Macintosh was so vastly superior to the existing PC graphical environments that Apple would never face any serious competition and would be able to rely on profit-rich hardware sales (with margins over 55% until the early 90s).

Besides protecting profits, Gassée was probably a little distrustful of Microsoft's motives. It was in Microsoft's interest to maintain the IBM PC standard for as long as possible, since Microsoft controlled most of the operating system market and most of the developer's tools market. In Gassée's mind, the proposal could have been an attempt to sabotage the Macintosh.

In later interviews, however, Bill Gates himself points out that Microsoft made a lot more money selling a Mac user a copy of Word and MultiPlan (the predecessor of Excel), than selling an OEM DOS licenses, so a Macintosh standard would have benefited both companies in the long term.

Despite Gassée's objections to the plan, Sculley believed that it could help Apple establish the Macintosh as the personal computer standard, supplanting the IBM PC and MS-DOS. Sculley had Dan Eilers, one of his aides, prepare a list of possible licensing deals. The list of suggestions included selling entire system boards to manufacturers, porting the Macintosh software to the IBM PC and selling the software to consumers, partnering with a workstation vendor, and others.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum