GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kane Incident 'Blown Out of Proportion', says taxi driver's attorney

+8
Vandelay
TheAvatar
Tuk Tuk
shabbs
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
davetherave
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 8]

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Kane Incident 'Blown Out of Proportion', says taxi driver's attorney - Page 4 Kanebo10

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

davetherave wrote:Kane Incident 'Blown Out of Proportion', says taxi driver's attorney - Page 4 Kanebo10

It doesn't even really look like him.

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Unedited Buffalo News footage of interview with Jan Radecki, courtesy CLTV Chicago.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Interesting to see the full video by the cabbie... still not clear on how it all went down. The way he describes it is they jumped him before paying, and then he says he didn't have the $0.20 to give them and then they snatched their money back plus $100...

I've seen portions of this video on the news here but not the very start of it.

Hmmm...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Amazing, really, how this has snowballed in the media and among hockey fandom. The reaction reminds one of the novel and film, "The Ox-Bow Incident".

For those who have already decided, and remain intransigent in their view, no need to read any further. The lynch mob mentality lives in the Age of the Internet.

But if one wishes to get past the maelstrom of murky sensationalism, watching the unedited video footage of taxi driver Jan Radecki’s interview (as opposed to the clips used by TSN to buttress their yellow journalism) can be instructive.

It could be said, seeing the footage, that Mr. Radecki does not look like a man who has been beaten up...except by the ravages of his sixty years.

Radecki's remark about him saying "I don't care who the F-- you are", among other remarks (his suspicion the Kanes were 'college kids' who skip out on paying the fare, for example) suggests there was a confrontation brewing from the moment the kids got into his cab.

Shouldn't an experienced cabbie know how volatile two 20-somethings are after coming out of a bar in the wee hours of the morning?

A few more things may be considered here.

Given that their destination was just a few miles from the club, how did the fare get to thirteen dollars; and why did Radecki stop several times along the way, and reset the meter in the process? Did the boys, then, think Radecki was trying to rip them off? Could harsh words have been said by all parties during the journey, and the whole thing escalated?

Were any or all of the persons involved, that is to say Patrick Kane, his cousin James, and Radecki, given blood alcohol level tests?

Has a physician examined Radecki, and conclusively determined the presence and extent of any injuries?

Did the establishment where the Kanes were that night, serve alcohol to Patrick even though he is not of legal drinking age in New York State?

Does the immense media coverage of this incident effectively compromise a legal case, criminal or civil--if--the matter ever reaches the courts?

One is compelled to ask these questions if one is interested in the truth beyond screaming headlines and half-baked stories...because the media clearly does not ask those questions.

In a country where the legal system is intended to protect the rights of victims (and if Mr. Radecki is a victim, he should most certainly be protected), it is also intended to protect the accused until proven guilty.

Pat Kane may have been foolish and even stupid to put himself in that situation Saturday night in Buffalo. And there is little doubt he will pay for his lack of wisdom. He has already paid, in the damage to his reputation. The final cost remains to be seen.

He also may not be a 'nice guy'...who knows, his ego might be bigger than your Average Joe and Jane.

But he hasn't been found guilty of robbery or assault, or anything else, yet.

It appears, however, that Patrick Kane has already been judged by large segments of the public and the media...and all within mere hours of the incident.

Yet, even with the news today that Radecki’s attorney, Andrew LoTempio, stated this has all been “blown out of proportion”, the cynics will say that a ‘payoff’ has been arranged...even if they know nothing of the sort.

As LoTempio went on Chicago’s number one news station WGN to clarify and defuse the situation, it is reasonable to believe that the parties have decided to be reasonable.

Another perspective might be that, given the prospect of testifying in court, Mr. Radecki was suddenly less certain that the events were as he originally described them.

It would not be the first time such a change of recollection occurred.

Questioned under oath in court, the parties and ‘witnesses’ often remember things differently, or admit they simply don’t remember at all.

And so, what should never have become an incident for the police to handle, and the media to spin, may end up being settled in an equitable manner.

But the public has their opinions, right or wrong...and these will persist even and especially when the facts, as they eventually emerge, demonstrate otherwise.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The key piece, for me at least, is that there was a witness that saw the beatings and called the police. At the end of the day, the allegations that they beat the driver are the most serious, and they'll need to stand trial for that.

I'll bet that had the witness not called the police... we would not have even known about this at all.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I was listening to Team 990 (Montreal) and they had a cabbie call in. One comment he made that stuck with me is that cabbies go through a lot of these kinds of situations. Maybe 20 years ago a cabbie packing a tire iron under his seat could easily defend himself, that is not the case any more. In a case where we are talking about losing a $15 fare, or even losing a $100, the course of action is known ahead of time -- let it go, not worth it. Not nearly.

Also, Kane is under-aged and a celebrity. Simply because he is under-aged he shold not have been in a bar, much less in a bar at 3AM int he morning. Because he is a celebrity he should try to avoid confrontation even more than a cabbie would.

Am I prejudging him? Perhaps. It's just that none of this adds up at all unless the Kanes did something they should have thought better about not doing.

Oh, and the defendant's lawyer saying that this has been blown out of proportion -- after his client has gone on record describing the events -- reeks of an out-of-court settlement. The charge was a felony, right? I don't think, in a felony case, that the defendant can opt to not press charges. So it sounds like the lawyer is trying to make sure this does not happen, so then his client can choose not to press charges and everything is over.

Well, sort of. Kane's reputation is shot and will never fully recover.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

What would Craig Ferguson say about all this?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Kane's agent Pat Brisson made his statement today:

"Early Sunday morning, Pat Kane was involved in an unfortunate situation with a cab driver in Buffalo.

"The cab driver's attorney in recent media reports was quoted as saying that the incident has been blown out of proportion. Kane has retained Paul Cambria as his attorney in this matter. Cambria has told me that, based on the evidence that he has reviewed in this case, there is no doubt that Mr. Kane will be fully exonerated.

"Since this is an ongoing legal matter, I think it is inappropriate for me to comment further at this time. But I am absolutely confident that, when the legal process has been completed, Pat Kane will be fully cleared."

Asked about whether the incident, and Kane's pending court appearance, would affect his status with the US Olympic Hockey Team, ESPN reports, " USA Hockey spokesman Dave Fischer said Monday that Kane is still expected to participate in the three-day camp."

IMHO if Kane has the character to put this behind him, he can become not only a wiser and more mature person, but a stronger one.

His best revenge against his critics and the lynch mob would be to have an outstanding hockey season.

In the meantime, young Patrick might want to take some advice from the Irish poet W.B. Yeats:
Choose your companions from the best; Who draws a bucket with the rest soon topples down the hill.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dave, why do you keep talking about lynch mobs? This incident reeks and Kane should have never been at the center of it. But no-one has lynched him yet. They are rightfully upset that this kid would be caught anywhere near something like this, much less being right in the center.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So, quick question, with NHL 10 slated to launch next month, how does that affect the cover label?

Kane Incident 'Blown Out of Proportion', says taxi driver's attorney - Page 4 EA+Sports+NHL10

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Prager, both the attorneys for Radecki and Kane have gone on the record as saying no felony was committed.

Radecki's attorney, Andrew LoTempio, was emphatic in his interview on WGN Radio--the number one news station in Chicago and one of the most listened to in the United States, that no discussion of 'compensation' for Mr Radecki was/is taking place.

Kane's attorney, Paul Cambria appears to be in agreement with his colleague's assessment of the situation.

You can listen to the interview with LoTempio here:
http://www.wgnradio.com/shows/gregjarrett/wgnradio-gjuncut090810a,0,2279165.mp3file

Or if you wish, you can download the file here:
http://www.wgnradio.com/media/mp3file/2009-08/48568079.mp3

You can hear Kane's attorney Paul Cambria in his interview on Buffalo's WEDG here:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-090810-cambria-interview-mp3,0,2887318.mp3file

As for the 'lynch mob', led by the piranhas in the hockey media, they are what they are.

This is not about Patrick Kane, Chicago Blackhawk...this young man could have been a player from any team, including the one you cheer for.

Kane reputation was shredded with hours of the incident, even though the facts were, at best, murky.

And what of Jan Radecki? A situation that got out of hand, a story that got turned a nationally broadcast 'scandal', with Radecki's own account used as the ammunition. Who will give Mr. Radecki back his privacy?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:Prager, both the attorneys for Radecki and Kane have gone on the record as saying no felony was committed.
Come on man... money will make anyone say anything...

Wink

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Sure, Shabbs.

Here's something else for you to think about.

Perhaps Mr Radecki also has something to answer for.

This from The Buffalo News today:

The city cab driver who has accused National Hockey League star Patrick Kane and his cousin of robbing and attacking him Sunday morning has two drunken driving convictions and had no valid driver's license at the time of the incident, The Buffalo News has learned.

...According to City Court records, Radecki pleaded guilty to driving while intoxicated charges in February 1999. He was sentenced to 15 days in jail and three years' probation.

Read the rest here.
http://www.buffalonews.co...e/story/760115.html?imw=Y

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

What does that have to do with the incident? Sounds like a smear campaign to me... as we've seen... people make mistakes. Can't have it both ways.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:So, quick question, with NHL 10 slated to launch next month, how does that affect the cover label?
The EA Cover Curse lives on!

Remember back in 2004? Thornton was the original choice... then he got arrested... so they switched to Heatley... then he had the car accident and they switched finally to Sakic.

Coincidence... or curse?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:What does that have to do with the incident? Sounds like a smear campaign to me... as we've seen... people make mistakes. Can't have it both ways.

You obviously haven't read the article. Read it.

Radecki was driving without a valid license at the time. That's illegal, and totally relevant to the case.

Was he intoxicated as well? That question would probably arise in court.

The other question revolves around Radecki locking the two Kanes inside his cab, which in legal terms, can be characterized as unlawful imprisonment.

You want to know why Radecki's lawyer doesn't want this to go to court? There are a number of reasons. One being because his client would possibly lose his cab license.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:
shabbs wrote:What does that have to do with the incident? Sounds like a smear campaign to me... as we've seen... people make mistakes. Can't have it both ways.

You obviously haven't read the article. Read it.

Radecki was driving without a valid license at the time. That's illegal, and totally relevant to the case.

Was he intoxicated as well? That question would probably arise in court.

The other question revolves around Radecki locking the two Kanes inside his cab, which in legal terms, can be characterized as unlawful imprisonment.

You want to know why Radecki's lawyer doesn't want this to go to court? There are a number of reasons. One being because his client would possibly lose his cab license.

What's Kanes excuse for wearing that ridiculous looking mouthguard? Shouldn't that be a felony?

This can be viewed from many different angles.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum