GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kane Incident 'Blown Out of Proportion', says taxi driver's attorney

+8
Vandelay
TheAvatar
Tuk Tuk
shabbs
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
davetherave
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

It is being suggested, don't know the validity of this, may have been brought up on PTI, but JR (driver) may have purposely locked the Kane's in his cab because he was dissatisfied with the tip and wanted more. Whether he knew who (Kane) was and felt he could do better, is unknown.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I gotta say, it sounds like P. Kane's lawyer threw his cousin under the bus with those comments. These guys keep giving sound bites to the media. If they wanted to get this cleared up, they should all just shut up. But they're doing damage control and trying to direct this to not be a felony charge.

DTR... you ask why we're so skeptical about all this... I'd say it's because anytime you have a situation where the paths of a "superstar" and a "regular civilian" cross like this... the usual result is the civilian getting paid off to keep quiet/drop charges/go away...

If this goes to court... I guess we'll get some hint at the truth... but I'm not holding my breath.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

And no one is denying P. Kane his right to have his day in court... he shall have his day... unless he buys his way out of it.

Wink

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

davetherave wrote:And now, 48 hours after the incident, the mea culpa in the media is taking place. ESPN, Sportsnet, and The Hockey News, just to name a few, are now presenting their attempts at a 'balanced' view...here is one:

LAWYER: KANE DID NOT COMMIT A CRIME
ESPNChicago Staff/ESPN.COM, August 10, 2009

Patrick Kane's attorney said on Tuesday that the Chicago Blackhawks star did not assault or rob the cab driver who claimed he was attacked early Sunday in Buffalo, N.Y.

Paul Cambria, speaking on "The Waddle and Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000, said Kane, 20, and his cousin James, 21, were trapped inside the car when cab driver Jan Radecki, 62, wouldn't unlock the doors.

"[Patrick Kane is] devastated that anybody would accuse him of a crime," Cambria said. "He's not that sort of person.

"He wanted nothing to do with the cab driver in any way, shape or form. He simply wanted to get out of the cab. It's been revealed today that the cab driver admitted he locked these two guys in the car and wouldn't permit the one guy to stand up and simply reach for his wallet. There's more and more being developed about this."

The Kanes are facing felony robbery and misdemeanor counts of theft and criminal mischief. Patrick Kane has pleaded not guilty and is scheduled for a court hearing Monday in Buffalo.

"[Radecki] said he wasn't going to let the one fellow out to get his wallet," Cambria said during the radio interview. "He said that in an interview that I heard.
"Apparently he said that's his MO. Anytime he takes young people, college kids or whatever, any place at night he locks them in the cab until he pays. His lawyer said this morning in an interview I heard that in the past many of his passengers have become upset because they're angry that they're being trapped in a car and not being trusted to stand up and get their money out."

Cambria was asked if Kane did anything wrong or anything he regretted.

"He regrets that he was there, obviously, who wouldn't?" Cambria said on "The Waddle and Silvy Show." "On the other hand, did he do anything wrong? Did he violate the law? Everything we have demonstrates no, and he emphatically said, 'No.' I have absolutely no reason to disbelieve him and every reason to believe him."

Cambria was asked on the show if Kane touched Radecki. "He did not assault the cab driver. He did not rob the cab driver. He did not cheat him out of his fee. None of those things. He tried to get out of a locked cab," Cambria said.

As far as Kane's cousin, Cambria would not elaborate.

"I'm not blaming or defending his cousin," Cambria said. "He has an attorney, and his attorney can speak for him. I think it's clear there is no question the cousin is the one who was involved in the financial transaction with the cab driver. The police claim they found a partially torn bill or something in the cousin's pocket. He his own attorney, and his attorney can speak for him."

Radecki's lawyer, Andrew LoTempio, said on WGN radio on Monday that he didn't believe the case would end up as a felony, and that the incident had been blown out of proportion.

"There was a dispute over the fee and it just kind of escalated from there," LoTempio told WGN. "It was not really a robbery. That is probably a large distortion of what happened."

"I think we should be able to work things out," LoTempio added.

Cambria also addressed a report in Tuesday's edition of the Buffalo News that Radecki had two drunken driving convictions and had no valid driver's license at the time of the incident.

The Buffalo News said Radecki hung up the telephone when a reporter tried to talk to him Monday. LoTempio told the News he had represented Radecki in one, unspecified DWI case, but would not comment on the license issue.

"That's a matter that's going to be used to make a credibility determination concerning this guy," Cambria said on "The Waddle and Silvy Show." "Apparently, he's had other skirmishes with people in the past, and other difficulties, and all that will play out in the courtroom."

As far as Kane's demeanor, Cambria said: "Pat is like, 'Why me? I didn't hit the guy. I didn't assault the guy. I wasn't involved in pay or not paying for the fare. I can't believe I'm in this.' "

---

Beyond the relatively civil parameters of the GMHockey Forum, I have personally addressed and challenged a number of reporters, bloggers and fans on the entire issue of Kane being tried and judged without all of the facts having been presented.

The hostility towards Kane--and the hostility towards me, in some cases--has been fascinating in its intensity.

It makes one stop and wonder where our society is at, when the feeding frenzy for gossip and scandal has reached such a point where people cannot agree to disagree.

The most bizarre aspect in all of this, is that, IF Patrick Kane HAD assaulted Mr. Radecki, I would have concurred wholeheartedly that he should be dealt with accordingly to the full extent of the law.

But Kane was simply accused of a crime...and I believe that he deserves to be given the legal right to have his case heard in a proper legal manner.

I also believe it is tragic that Jan Radecki, whose living as a cab driver may be threathened by the revelations now coming out, could end up being even more of a victim...duped into spilling his story, so the media and scandal-starved fans could feed on it.

All in all, a sad tale.
While I agree with your point for the most part, it is a little contradictory.  You're saying the media is taking this "story" and running with it and we, the public are following like lost sheep.  It's a valid point and we see it every day...it really has gotten out of control.  All of that I agree with and in fact was a small part of why I left the country...getting out of that crazy North American culture...anyway, you can't prove this theory with other articles from the media.  Your whole point was how unreliable the media is and how they jump all over a story because the media loves it which is true.  But using other media sources to show this doesn't work.  Media is unrealiable.  Bottom line, unless someone knows Kane personally or was a witness, without video of the whole thing, we'll never know.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

davetherave wrote:
Prager, bear in mind the report on Radecki was written by The Buffalo News, the same newspaper that broke the original story on the incident.

So, please point out to me how The Buffalo News article citing Radecki's history is an attack on him, as you suggest.

Furthermore, if Radecki was driving without a valid licence, it raises the possibility that should this case ever go to court, questions about how the taxi company could allow him to drive a cab without a valid licence could lead to a dismissal of the entire case. A lawsuit against Radecki and the taxi company might even follow.

Mr. Radecki does not deserve to have his life exposed in public, no more than Patrick Kane deserves to be tried in the media and the 'court of public opinion'.

But that is what we have, and the Pandora's Box has been opened because of the rabid rush to judgement that characterizes contemporary North American society.

Did I ever say the Buffalo News was on one side or the other? They are using unnecessarily bright colors to paint a picture of an otherwise gray situation in order to sell more papers or generate more page loads.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Vandelay wrote: While I agree with your point for the most part, it is a little contradictory. You're saying the media is taking this "story" and running with it and we, the public are following like lost sheep. It's a valid point and we see it every day...it really has gotten out of control. All of that I agree with and in fact was a small part of why I left the country...getting out of that crazy North American culture...anyway, you can't prove this theory with other articles from the media. Your whole point was how unreliable the media is and how they jump all over a story because the media loves it which is true. But using other media sources to show this doesn't work. Media is unrealiable. Bottom line, unless someone knows Kane personally or was a witness, without video of the whole thing, we'll never know.

Vandelay, you speak well, and with evident wisdom.

I, too, have lived abroad, that being in Europe, for many years; but I cannot say unequivocally the media is 'more responsible' than in North America.

I don't think people follow 'like sheep'...but if you look at the blogosphere, it becomes clear that the so-called, and illusory, anonymity of the Internet seems to give many the idea that they can say whatever they please, no matter how vile it is.

Such is the price we pay for 'Freedom of Expression'.

And for those who seek the truth, it remains as elusive as ever.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

And now, The Hockey News offers its climb down from the rush to judgement.

THN.COM BLOG: KANE CHARGE GETS OVERBLOWN FROM ALL ANGLES
John Grigg, The Hockey News, August 11, 2009

It really is amazing in this day and age how quickly celebrities are vilified. Reports surfaced Sunday that young Blackhawks star Patrick Kane and his cousin had been arrested and charged with felony robbery and misdemeanor counts of theft and criminal mischief for allegedly beating and robbing a cab driver after an altercation over 20 cents.

Fans on THN.com were largely outraged, calling Kane immature, a hockey punk and a jerk, and accused the 20-year-old Hawk of being drunk (as if that would be an anomaly for a 20-year-old).

Media outlets widely quoted the cabbie, Jan Radecki, in effect validating his accusations and fueling the anti-Kane fire. A Buffalo TV news crew
interviewed Radecki, telling only his side of the story, noting the Kane cousins both pled not guilty to the charges against them, but failing to do their due diligence on Radecki.

That was Sunday.

By Monday, the Chicago Sun-Times was
asking if Kane was “a player an emerging organization wants to build its long-term future around,” deriding the Calder Trophy winner’s game and suggesting the Hawks would be better off cutting ties with the franchise cornerstone.

And Internet outlets were offering
Kane’s mug shot up to the public and broadcasting his new nickname, ‘20 Cent.’ (Full disclosure: ‘20 Cent’ is pretty good.)

But then things started to turn in Kane’s favor. Radecki’s lawyer went on record saying the charges against Kane had been
overblown and that “we should be able to work things out,” whatever that means. Many are now assuming the sound ka-ching is ringing in Mr. Radecki’s ears now that he knows who he’s dealing with.

And by Tuesday, things had come full circle. Kane’s lawyer let it be
known he knows what happened after talking with witnesses and that “Patrick Kane never assaulted the cab driver.” Meanwhile, reports essentially besmirching the cabbie’s reputation were released, giving Kane’s version of the events – or rather his lawyer’s – more credence.

In just 36 hours, Kane went from being the latest poster boy for pampered, immature, self-centered pro athletes to a guy who may just have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. And Radecki went from innocent victim to possibly a guy looking for a payday.

Kane might be guilty of the charges laid against him. Or he may not. He might be a spoiled prima donna who thinks he can get away with whatever he wants because of who he is and what he does. Or he may not. Kane may also be the victim of someone looking to take advantage of him – or he may not.

What this case should teach everyone is that in this age of 24-hour news services, sketchy journalism and the never-ending race to break stories, things can be and are routinely overblown for the sake of ratings and Internet traffic. Everyone should also be aware that stories can reverse direction in a matter of hours, so don’t get too excited by any one report.

Kane deserves a break, as does Radecki. Kane deserves his day in court, and not the court of public opinion. Radecki deserves a modicum of privacy concerning his past – although he did open himself to criticism by doing that TV interview and his lawyer’s assertion that something can be ‘worked out’ doesn’t help.

But please, people, remember that Kane and Radecki are people, too. Just like you and me. And I’m sure we’d all hope everyone wouldn’t jump to conclusions at the first reports of something being amiss in our lives. I know I would.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dave, is "John Grigg" your nom de plume?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Dave, is "John Grigg" your nom de plume?

:^^^^:

SSF...I read The Hockey News when I was I a kid...but I doubt THN would hire me, especially after some of the things I've said about them.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Dave, is "John Grigg" your nom de plume?

:^^^^:

SSF...I read The Hockey News when I was I a kid...but I doubt THN would hire me, especially after some of the things I've said about them.

Same here. My grandfather loved hockey but was illiterate, he subscribed, I read.

You and I would know that in-line skates were first popping up as training aides as mail order merchandise in THN. Wink

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

As The World Turns...

KANE'S LAWYER IMPLIES HE WASN'T DRINKING, ATTACKED NO ONE AND SEEKS NEW HEARING DATE
Mike Kiley, Chicago Tribune "Chicago Now/Blackhawks Confidential", August 11, 2009

The Buffalo News reported Tuesday afternoon that Patrick Kane's attorney, Paul Cambria Jr., is saying that he has evidence that will completely clear his client of charges of robbery and assault of a cab driver early Sunday morning.

Cambria said that he will ask that the felony hearing scheduled for Monday in Buffalo be rescheduled until later in the week. That could stop Kane from attending next week's U. S. Olympic Orientation Camp at Seven Bridges Ice Rink in Woodridge, where he would be certain to be deluged by Chicago media.

"When all of this is put into perspective, it's going to appear vastly different than the first impression," he said.

Cambria also indicated that Kane didn't physically attack cabbie Jan Radecki at any time as Radecki has claimed he did in the police report. Radecki, 62, told police that James Kane, Patrick's cousin, initially "sucker-punched" him before Patrick joined in hitting and choking him.

"I know (Radecki) said that, but it's not my client who committed any crimes against him," Cambria said."When all the facts and circumstances come out concerning the incident, then the public will have a better idea of what exactly happened and whether or not there is any criminal activity there."

Asked by the Buffalo News if Cambria was by implication pointing the finger for the attack at Kane's cousin, he refused a direct answer. He said that he was not implying James Kane committed a crime, but was speaking only on behalf of his client. James Kane's attorney didn't respond to the Buffalo News' interview requests.

The Buffalo News also reported that Radecki has two DUI convictions and didn't have a valid driver's license when the incident happened with the Kanes. He picked them up around 5 a. m. Sunday near a downtown area famous for its nightclubs.

Radecki continued to refuse all interviews Tuesday since he told The Tribune Sunday that he had his shirt torn and glasses broken in the assault by both Kanes.

He obviously is finding the glare of the spotlight an uncomfortable situation.

Cambria, judging by his remarks, also seems to preparing to say in court Monday that neither of the Kanes were intoxicated. That has been assumed widely in speculation since they got a taxi near an area known for its nightlife.

The Buffalo News said Cambria emphasized that the police report on the incident never mentioned whether the Kanes were intoxicated. He added that some places on the Chippewa Street strip serve patrons below the age of 21 non-alcoholic beverages.

Cambria appears to be mounting a case that could claim Radecki illegally held his client in a locked cab over a fare dispute and that Patrick Kane took no part in an attack and wasn't impaired by alcohol.

Whether he will assert that James Kane was responsible for any physical altercation with Radecki remains to be seen.

If Radecki retracts any of his previous statements about the incident, the judge would then be in a position to throw out the case. Radecki's lawyer has tried to downplay what occurred, so it seems to be leaning in Patrick Kane's favor for the moment.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

If Radecki retracts any of his previous statements about the incident, the judge would then be in a position to throw out the case. Radecki's lawyer has tried to downplay what occurred, so it seems to be leaning in Patrick Kane's favor for the moment.

HA HA!

I sense a retraction coming very soon...

And when I say retraction... I mean payoff.

Wink

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:If Radecki retracts any of his previous statements about the incident, the judge would then be in a position to throw out the case. Radecki's lawyer has tried to downplay what occurred, so it seems to be leaning in Patrick Kane's favor for the moment.

HA HA!

Wink

Judgest thou lest ye be judged, shabbseth (I'm not sure if that's a question or a warning, punctuation withheld)

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Judgest thou lest ye be judged, shabbseth (I'm not sure if that's a question or a warning, punctuation withheld)

I had to read this a couple of times; good thing I haven't had a drink yet ... Wink

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:If Radecki retracts any of his previous statements about the incident, the judge would then be in a position to throw out the case. Radecki's lawyer has tried to downplay what occurred, so it seems to be leaning in Patrick Kane's favor for the moment.

HA HA!

Wink

I shall judge as I see fit... shabbs answers to NO ONE!!!! SHABBS IS SUPREME!!!!!

MOU HOU HOU HOU HOU HOU HOU HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

TheAvatar wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

I had to read this a couple of times; good thing I haven't had a drink yet ... Wink
I am well into my 4th and speeding up...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

And now YahooSports adds its voice to the Hockey Media revising their position on the Patrick Kane case...

AT THE MOMENT, KANE NOT GUILTY OF ANYTHING
Sean Leahy, YahooSports.com, August 11, 2009

In the time since the story of Patrick Kane's(notes) arrest broke, he's been convicted over a thousand times. When the cab driver, Jan Radecki, who was allegedly assaulted and robbed, told his side of the story to a local news station, Kane was convicted another thousand times.

When the mug shot of the Chicago Blackhawks young star was released on Sunday, he was convicted even more.

What do we really have to base opinions off of in this case?

We only have the events from Radecki's side that he told Buffalo news station WIVB in this video. We don't have the story through Patrick or his cousin's eyes.

We also have Kane's lawyer, Paul Cambria, saying that this issue is overblown and his agent, Pat Brisson, confident that the Blackhawks forward will be exonerated.

Oh, and the cab driver's lawyer agrees with things being exaggerated. Is this just setting up for an out-of-court settlement or are the "jump to conclusions" mats out in full-force?

As Cambria pointed out, nothing in the police report indicated that Kane was intoxicated. Grabbing a cab at 5 a.m. in an area of Buffalo that is full of bars would lead one to believe that alcohol had to be involved, but wouldn't that have come out already? Wouldn't Radecki have, in his statement or television interview, noted that the two kids he's accusing of assaulting and robbing him were drunk?

The trial for Patrick Kane has apparently already ended and he's seen guilty through the eyes of many that are basing their opinions on the story currently out there.

A story I might add, that has still yet to be proven true and features only one side.

Kane's image on the cover on the upcoming videogame NHL10 is already being questioned. Speculation is running rampant about his future in Chicago. Rumors about Kane's attitude and c0ckiness are beginning to creep into the mainstream. Where is the support for Chicago's young star?

If the athlete in question had past issues with the law (like Radecki apparently does), a shady background (according to Kane's lawyer), or was a member of the Cincinnati Bengals, I could at least understand the public's early urge to convict.

While not right, I could see why they'd judge so soon. In this case, we have one of the National Hockey League's rising superstars, a kid who's just 20-years old and been nothing but an ambassador for the game in Chicago and his hometown of Buffalo in just two-years as a professional.

Can we let the legal system play out before the kid is labeled for the rest of his career undeservedly?

It may turn out that Kane was indeed guilty of a crime and he'll be punished for his actions by the legal system and the NHL. It may also end up that the events are truly "blown out of proportion", as the lawyer's on both sides have stated.

If he's innocent, will those in the media who've scolded a yet-to-be proven guilty 20-year old kid ask for forgiveness? Likely not.

The case against the Duke University lacrosse players wasn't that long ago and showed that initial allegations don't always end up being completely factual.

As we stand, early in this story, Patrick Kane should be given a bit more benefit of the doubt in this case until it fully develops.

Last edited by davetherave on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

davetherave wrote:And now YahooSports adds its voice to the Hockey Media revising their position on the Patrick Kane case...

AT THE MOMENT, KANE NOT GUILTY OF ANYTHING
Sean Leahy, YahooSports.com, August 11, 2009

In the time since the story of Patrick Kane's(notes) arrest broke, he's been convicted over a thousand times. When the cab driver, Jan Radecki, who was allegedly assaulted and robbed, told his side of the story to a local news station, Kane was convicted another thousand times.

When the mug shot of the Chicago Blackhawks young star was released on Sunday, he was convicted even more.

What do we really have to base opinions off of in this case?

We only have the events from Radecki's side that he told Buffalo news station WIVB in this video. We don't have the story through Patrick or his cousin's eyes.

We also have Kane's lawyer, Paul Cambria, saying that this issue is overblown and his agent, Pat Brisson, confident that the Blackhawks forward will be exonerated.

Oh, and the cab driver's lawyer agrees with things being exaggerated. Is this just setting up for an out-of-court settlement or are the "jump to conclusions" mats out in full-force?

As Cambria pointed out, nothing in the police report indicated that Kane was intoxicated. Grabbing a cab at 5 a.m. in an area of Buffalo that is full of bars would lead one to believe that alcohol had to be involved, but wouldn't that have come out already? Wouldn't Radecki have, in his statement or television interview, noted that the two kids he's accusing of assaulting and robbing him were drunk?

The trial for Patrick Kane has apparently already ended and he's seen guilty through the eyes of many that are basing their opinions on the story currently out there.

A story I might add, that has still yet to be proven true and features only one side.

Kane's image on the cover on the upcoming videogame NHL10 is already being questioned. Speculation is running rampant about his future in Chicago. Rumors about Kane's attitude and Wang are beginning to creep into the mainstream. Where is the support for Chicago's young star?

If the athlete in question had past issues with the law (like Radecki apparently does), a shady background (according to Kane's lawyer), or was a member of the Cincinnati Bengals, I could at least understand the public's early urge to convict.

While not right, I could see why they'd judge so soon. In this case, we have one of the National Hockey League's rising superstars, a kid who's just 20-years old and been nothing but an ambassador for the game in Chicago and his hometown of Buffalo in just two-years as a professional.

Can we let the legal system play out before the kid is labeled for the rest of his career undeservedly?

It may turn out that Kane was indeed guilty of a crime and he'll be punished for his actions by the legal system and the NHL. It may also end up that the events are truly "blown out of proportion", as the lawyer's on both sides have stated.

If he's innocent, will those in the media who've scolded a yet-to-be proven guilty 20-year old kid ask for forgiveness? Likely not.

The case against the Duke University lacrosse players wasn't that long ago and showed that initial allegations don't always end up being completely factual.

As we stand, early in this story, Patrick Kane should be given a bit more benefit of the doubt in this case until it fully develops.

What does Kane's wedding tackle has to do with any of this? Shrug

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum