GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Heatley staying put... for now

+5
wprager
davetherave
dennycrane
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

16Heatley staying put... for now - Page 2 Empty Re: Heatley staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:19 pm

hemlock wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Thank God it is an Olympic year, otherwise I actually might be worried about Heatley's on ice performance. This works in The Sens favour for now... next step for Ottawa, how to get under the cap? Shouldnt be that hard, a lot of pieces that can be waived or sent down to Bingo.

We are just over the cap, so I don't think that's a worry. I wonder what happens with Heatley, if we cannot find a taker one year from today? We won't have the Olympics to keep him motivated. I still say he'll be gone by the deadline...for less than we'd like. Once the Oylmpics are over(barring a change of heart), I fully expect this guy to put on his cloak of invisibility. Murray will be forced to deal him at the deadline for a couple of players and a pick I'd say.

If The Sens are in the playoff picture or competing for the division, Heatley wont go anywhere. That being said, his value will be a lot higher at the draft with a good year under his belt, 1 less year on his contract, and 18 mil already paid.

The best thing for both sides is for Heatley to rip it up next year.

17Heatley staying put... for now - Page 2 Empty Re: Heatley staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:22 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Neely4Life wrote:The best thing for both sides is for Heatley to rip it up next year.
That would be nice, very nice. Alfie, Spezza, Kovalev and Heater all ripping it up. Ahhh... dare to dream. We'll see...

18Heatley staying put... for now - Page 2 Empty Re: Heatley staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:29 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote: If The Sens are in the playoff picture or competing for the division, Heatley wont go anywhere. That being said, his value will be a lot higher at the draft with a good year under his belt, 1 less year on his contract, and 18 mil already paid.

The best thing for both sides is for Heatley to rip it up next year.

Neely>question for you...if teams were indeed reluctant to take on Heatley because of his annual cap hit and term of the contract, do you see that reluctance changing, if Dany comes back to Ottawa and plays, say, to last year's level?

19Heatley staying put... for now - Page 2 Empty Re: Heatley staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:31 pm

Depends what happens everywhere else honestly. For now though, Heatley is in Ottawa.

20Heatley staying put... for now - Page 2 Empty Re: Heatley staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:33 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

If Heatley has a mediocre year, it will be just as tough to move him... I'm sure that's weighing on BM's mind too. Anything can happen.

21Heatley staying put... for now - Page 2 Empty Re: Heatley staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:34 pm

I dont see how Heatley wont be producing if he stays healthy.

22Heatley staying put... for now - Page 2 Empty Re: Heatley staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:41 pm

Heatley and his agents are going to have to do MAJOR damage control now otherwise this will drag on all year.

Hopefully this isnt a disraction and The Sens can play through it. If not, it could be ugly just as easily as it could be great.

23Heatley staying put... for now - Page 2 Empty Re: Heatley staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:41 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Neely4Life wrote:I dont see how Heatley wont be producing if he stays healthy.
I guess it all depends on where his head is at. With Alfie, Spezza and Kovy... how can he not produce?

24Heatley staying put... for now - Page 2 Empty Re: Heatley staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:48 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:I dont see how Heatley wont be producing if he stays healthy.
I guess it all depends on where his head is at. With Alfie, Spezza and Kovy... how can he not produce?

Shabbs>IMHO you nailed it. Even more than, 'how will the team react to Heatley', the question may be 'how will Heatley react to the team?'

It's one thing to assume that playing alongside Kovalev, for example, would motivate him...but does anyone really know how the two will get along?

If, say, the Sens hit a rough patch...as all teams do at some point in the year...how does Dany respond/not?

Not a comfortable situation for Clouston, I would think...as he needs everyone to be 'with the program' from Day One.

25Heatley staying put... for now - Page 2 Empty Re: Heatley staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:04 pm

Clouston has the support of managment and the players, things wont be uncomfortable with Clouston, that much I'm certain of. Murray has firmly put his support behind Clouston, not Heatley.

26Heatley staying put... for now - Page 2 Empty Re: Heatley staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:08 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Clouston will run the show as he sees fit and do what needs to be done, just as he did at the tail end of last season. If Heatley has a suck attack, well, they'll just have to deal with it.

27Heatley staying put... for now - Page 2 Empty Re: Heatley staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:10 pm

Pretty much it, I dont think he will though, again, The Olympics are going to play in Ottawa's favour.

28Heatley staying put... for now - Page 2 Empty Re: Heatley staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:17 pm

If Heatley stays, it will be a very good test of the team's internal leadership. I am truly worried that this could be a circus.

29Heatley staying put... for now - Page 2 Empty Re: Heatley staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:36 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Where's Rooney Poo to douse all this enthusiasm with a bucket of cold reality check?

Are the Oilers the only team that could afford Heatley and need scoring?

Why are the Olympics such a draw for Dany? He's young enough to play in Sochi in 2012 and, besides, he's got the record for Canada in international competition. I don't think anyone is going to catch him for a while.

I'm still holding out hope that he sits out or something goes down at the last hour.

30Heatley staying put... for now - Page 2 Empty Re: Heatley staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:39 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I'll do my best Dr. Poo impression...

"If Heatley stays, we're SCREWED in the 2010/11 season!!!!"

Thank you.

31Heatley staying put... for now - Page 2 Empty Re: Heatley staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:43 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That was a pretty poor impression shabbs. That is the coles notes version at best. Smile

- Unknown Author

32Heatley staying put... for now - Page 2 Empty Re: Heatley staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:44 pm

Heatley tearing it up this season and Marleau's contract expiering next year may be way better for The Sens in the long run. Also, with a successful season this year it will raise the stock of the franchise as well and might be able to attract some better UFA's.

Again, the best thing for The Sens and Heatley is for Heatley to tear it up. A 50 goal season from Heatley and other teams knowing he is available now, who at season's end might make room, is a better situation then right now. Next year if Heatley is here though The Sens are def in some cap trouble... we'll see though.

33Heatley staying put... for now - Page 2 Empty Re: Heatley staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:45 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:That was a pretty poor impression shabbs. That is the coles notes version at best. Smile
Coles notes is how I roll... I'll leave the long-winded, big worded diatribes for Dr. Poo.

Laughing3

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum