GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now

+15
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
Sp00nz
PTFlea
Tuk Tuk
asq2
davetherave
jawal
PKC
caissie_1
SensGirl11
bluewhiteandgolf
beedub
Hockeyhero22000
19 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now 817-grey
as per tsn
Peter Forsberg's
latest stop on his long road back to the NHL began last night in
Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland. The Swedish star suited up in a
pre-season game for Modo and played on the first line during his team's
2-1 win over Geneva.

Wearing No. 7 instead of his usual No. 21, Forsberg was held off the
scoresheet but was on the ice when Modo scored their first goal.

"The real feeling with the puck is not there," Forsberg told
reporters in Switzerland. "You need a couple of games to get into it.
It felt really good, no problems at all"

On Friday, The 36-year old was included on Sweden's initial 69-man
list of players who will be considered for the 2010 Olympics. The
former NHL MVP last appeared in the NHL in 2007-08, when he counted 14
points in nine games for the Colorado Avalanche. Persistent foot
problems have plagued Forsberg over the last few years.

I know he really doesn't want to quit but he is an extreme risk if any team is willing to take him on and after all the surgeries you think he would have hung them up by now

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Logic says that he SHOULD have hung them up by now. I give him kudos for trying and being persistent, but I just cannot see a positive outcome.

bluewhiteandgolf

bluewhiteandgolf
Prospect
Prospect

Don't let Eklund see this

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

He's such an elite player though and he's so strong-willed, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot. Of course any team that signs him will put him through the physical first. I wonder how much he would want if he came back...

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

bluewhiteandgolf wrote:Don't let Eklund see this

Laughing3 Great avatar!

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

He was one of the best when healthy

bluewhiteandgolf wrote:Don't let Eklund see this

That avatar is full of win.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

If he is in fact healthy, and our cap situation is slightly flexible, expect the Ottawa Senators to be top suitors for his services.

If he's healthy, I expect several teams to be suitors. When he's on and healthy, he's still one of the best in the world. Not the game changer he once was, but still dominant. Sadly, I don't expect him to be healthy, for very long anyway.

jawal

jawal
Rookie
Rookie

hemlock wrote:If he's healthy, I expect several teams to be suitors. When he's on and healthy, he's still one of the best in the world. Not the game changer he once was, but still dominant. Sadly, I don't expect him to be healthy, for very long anyway.

I agree when he was healthy, he was great. But that was then and this is now and he can't seem to stay healthy.

I expect him to stay in Sweden and try to win a spot on the Olympic team. If healthy, he could be in Vancouver at the Olympics.

After that he could entertain bids to play in NHL for the rest of the year.
(or play poker with that Mats guy)

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The latest on Pistol Pete:

FORSBERG CONTINUES COMEBACK
AP, 26/09/09.

Peter Forsberg scored the game-winner in overtime and set up the other goal Saturday as his hometown team Modo edged Djurgarden 2-1 in the Swedish Elite League.

It was the second goal in as many games this week for the 36-year-old center, who is embarking on another comeback attempt following multiple foot surgeries with the aim of returning to the NHL.

The former NHL MVP silenced the sellout crowd at 2:51 into overtime, roofing a rebound into the net to secure the win. Josh Green, a Canadian who has played for seven NHL teams during his career, set up the goal.

"It was fun to score the game-winner on away ice and in overtime," Forsberg said. "I have hardly played any games in the last three years, so it was a long time since I scored a game-winner."

Forsberg, who won two Stanley Cups with the Colorado Avalanche and was the NHL's MVP in 2003, has only played sporadically over the last two seasons because of an ailing right foot.

The forward made a late-season return to the Avalanche in 2008, but injuries kept him out of nine of 18 regular-season games and three of four games in the second round of the playoffs.

He tried playing for Modo last season, but only managed two games before calling off that comeback attempt. Last month, Forsberg was picked for Sweden's preliminary Olympic roster for the Vancouver Games.

Modo gave Forsberg a one-week tryout contract, which has one game remaining.
"The contract can be extended," Forsberg said. "We'll see how it goes."

Forsberg can play with Modo until the NHL season begins on Oct. 2 without jeopardizing a possible comeback in North America.

Djurgarden took the lead after just 2:02 when Andreas Engqvist scored a power-play goal.

Forsberg set up Magnus Haggstrom's equalizer with a perfect pass that went between the legs of a Djurgarden defenseman at 14:08 in the same period.

---

Hm...October 2nd is just around the corner....
UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now Icon_wink

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

As big a fan as I am of the guy, I don't really see where he'd play in Ottawa. Does Regin get kicked down to the third line? Does Cheechoo move to the fourth?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:As big a fan as I am of the guy, I don't really see where he'd play in Ottawa. Does Regin get kicked down to the third line? Does Cheechoo move to the fourth?

You think Forsberg is considering Ottawa?

asq2 wrote:As big a fan as I am of the guy, I don't really see where he'd play in Ottawa. Does Regin get kicked down to the third line? Does Cheechoo move to the fourth?

I just want to see him play anywhere in the NHL. He desperately wants to keep playing in the NHL obviously, and it's not about the money either (I'm looking right at you Theo Fleury). He's got a lucrative side business in Sweden in addition to all he's made playing hockey. This is all about the love of the game.

When he's on and healthy, few dominate like he can in all areas of the game.

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

He's friends with Alfredsson is he not?

I think you see him go to Colorado, with Detroit as a dark horse. Maybe even Philly.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum