GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Halladay staying put... for now

+2
PTFlea
shabbs
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Halladay staying put... for now Empty Halladay staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:02 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well, the MLB deadline has come and gone... and Doc is still a Blue Jay.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=286360

It remains to be seen what the future holds for Doc... hopefully he stays a Jay and the Blue Jays build around him, but I doubt that's gonna happen.

2Halladay staying put... for now Empty Re: Halladay staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:25 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Rolen was traded. Diddle-a-doodle-doo. He was my favourite.

3Halladay staying put... for now Empty Re: Halladay staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:47 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:Rolen was traded. Diddle-a-doodle-doo. He was my favourite.

Damnit!!! That guy was clutch. Solid in all aspects of the game. And really consistent... Down with Ricciardi.

4Halladay staying put... for now Empty Re: Halladay staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:19 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Bass Destruction wrote:

Damnit!!! That guy was clutch. Solid in all aspects of the game. And really consistent... Down with Ricciardi.

Anyone know about the guys we got back.

5Halladay staying put... for now Empty Re: Halladay staying put... for now Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:40 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:

Anyone know about the guys we got back.
FTFA:

The Blue Jays were able to complete a deal prior to the deadline, as they sent third baseman Scott Rolen to the Cincinnati Reds in exchange for third-baseman Edwin Encarnacion and pitching prospects Josh Roenicke and Zach Stewart.

6Halladay staying put... for now Empty Re: Halladay staying put... for now Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:16 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

It seems as though he is setting a deadline for a deal to be made. It really can't be hard to deal the Roberto Luongo of the MLB. I expect it will be done very soon.

If the Toronto Blue Jays intend to deal Roy Halladay, the ace right-hander says it must happen before spring training.

Jeff Berry, one of Halladay’s representatives, tells ESPN.com that the pitcher won’t allow any trade talks once he is with the Jays for the start of camp in February.

Halladay, 32, has a no-trade clause and wants to avoid a repeat of the relentless speculation about his future that took place last summer, when former GM J.P. Ricciardi put him on the market.
“One thing is certain — once Roy reports to spring training as a member of the Blue Jays, from that point forward he will not approve or even discuss any potential trade scenario,” Berry, a partner at CAA who works with Halladay’s longtime point agent Greg Landry, told ESPN.com.

“This will eliminate a repeat of the distracting media frenzy of 2009 for both Roy and his teammates, and will allow Roy to focus on pitching at the exceptional level Jays fans have come to expect.”
With the Blue Jays in a rebuilding mode and Halladay thinking playoffs or bust, a parting of ways between the two sides has long seemed imminent.

New GM Alex Anthopoulos conceded recently that the team and pitcher have different timelines for winning.

Halladay’s contract expires after the 2010 season and isn’t interested in signing an extension with the Blue Jays right now, team president and CEO Paul Beeston said recently.

Teams he would approve a trade to are believed to include the Yankees, Boston, the Angels, Dodgers and Philadelphia.

“Each potential trade situation will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, with a critical factor being the legitimate opportunity for Roy to pursue multiple World Series championships,” said Berry.

The Blue Jays would receive two draft picks in compensation should Halladay depart as a free agent.

7Halladay staying put... for now Empty Re: Halladay staying put... for now Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:17 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Which draft picks do they get if he walks? How does that work I wonder?

8Halladay staying put... for now Empty Re: Halladay staying put... for now Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:22 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensGirl11 wrote:Which draft picks do they get if he walks? How does that work I wonder?
Halladay would be a Type "A" player due to his ranking.

Type A players are those who rank statistically in the top 20 percent at their position. Compensation for a Type A player is the signing club’s first-round draft pick and a supplemental pick between the first and second rounds.

I'm not completely clear on the supplemental pick... it's often called a "sandwich" pick as it occurs between the 1st and 2nd rounds...

9Halladay staying put... for now Empty Re: Halladay staying put... for now Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:23 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Isn't "Anthopoulos" the active ingredient in Hall's?

10Halladay staying put... for now Empty Re: Halladay staying put... for now Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:27 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

shabbs wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:Which draft picks do they get if he walks? How does that work I wonder?
Halladay would be a Type "A" player due to his ranking.

Type A players are those who rank statistically in the top 20 percent at their position. Compensation for a Type A player is the signing club’s first-round draft pick and a supplemental pick between the first and second rounds.

I'm not completely clear on the supplemental pick... it's often called a "sandwich" pick as it occurs between the 1st and 2nd rounds...

Thanks Shabbs. That's very interesting. Would you like that to apply to the NHL? That could be awesome or horrible, depending on the situation.

11Halladay staying put... for now Empty Re: Halladay staying put... for now Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

He'll be dealt. There's an all out war brewing between the Yanks and the Red Sox. The Dodgers and the Angels also want him, but may not have the 'goods'.

12Halladay staying put... for now Empty Re: Halladay staying put... for now Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:09 pm

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

Lookin' like a blockbuster deal.

Halladay heading to the Phillies, and Lee heading to the Mariners. Jays will get prospects -- haven't been announced which ones yet. Hopefully Drabek, Taylor PLUS

13Halladay staying put... for now Empty Re: Halladay staying put... for now Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:10 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

HA! I just posted a new thread... doh...

14Halladay staying put... for now Empty Re: Halladay staying put... for now Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:11 pm

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

Woops, I'll head over there, haha.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum