GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2009 Arbitration electees

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

12009 Arbitration electees Empty 2009 Arbitration electees Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:00 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283832

ANA - James Wisniewski

ATL - Colby Armstrong

BOS - Matt Hunwick

BUF - Clarke MacArthur

CAR - Tuomo Ruutu

CHI - Aaron Johnson

CLB - Marc Methot

DET - Jiri Hudler

EDM - Denis Grebeshkov

MIN - Kyle Brodziak

MTL - Tomas Plekanec

NJ - Travis Zajac

NYI - Nate Thompson

NYR - Ziolai Zherdev, Ryan Callahan

PHX - Nigel Dawes, Daniel Winnik

TB - Matt Smaby

VAN - Kyle Wellwood

WAS - Milan Jurcina

Wonder if any of these get ugly/player gets too much for the team to want to pay?

22009 Arbitration electees Empty Re: 2009 Arbitration electees Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:15 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Zherdev is the only one I can see where things get nasty, he seems to want money beyond his talent.

32009 Arbitration electees Empty Re: 2009 Arbitration electees Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:15 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The one that stands out for me is Wellwood. What a difference from being discarded in Leafland to this.

- Unknown Author

42009 Arbitration electees Empty Re: 2009 Arbitration electees Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:23 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Zherdev is a good player though - but he's always been more about putting himself first, and Wellwood had a huge rebound season, though his conditioning still might be an issue.

So are these players that turned down their QO's? I take it no Sens players are electing for arbitration?

52009 Arbitration electees Empty Re: 2009 Arbitration electees Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:29 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Zherdev is a good player though - but he's always been more about putting himself first, and Wellwood had a huge rebound season, though his conditioning still might be an issue.

So are these players that turned down their QO's? I take it no Sens players are electing for arbitration?

No Sens players is right, I think we had two RFA's, one being Bell, the other being Elliott. Elliott got his offer, but has no arbritration rights I believe I heard that from SpezzD, as for Bell, we know how that went.

62009 Arbitration electees Empty Re: 2009 Arbitration electees Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:24 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Bell was never tendered a QO. There is probably no chance he could get an offer over the ~$944K threshold required to get a 3rd round pick in compensation, so the Sens didn't want to take the chance of being "stuck" with a contract. They could still offer him a UFA contract depending on how camp goes. If he hasn't hooked up with another team or the KHL, I would not be surprised to see him in camp.

72009 Arbitration electees Empty Re: 2009 Arbitration electees Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:42 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Bell was never tendered a QO. There is probably no chance he could get an offer over the ~$944K threshold required to get a 3rd round pick in compensation, so the Sens didn't want to take the chance of being "stuck" with a contract. They could still offer him a UFA contract depending on how camp goes. If he hasn't hooked up with another team or the KHL, I would not be surprised to see him in camp.

if he wants loads of playing time, KHL may be his best bet, not saying we wouldn't welcome him back to the fold, but we have a big log jam at D right now as it is.

82009 Arbitration electees Empty Re: 2009 Arbitration electees Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:00 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Way too many unknowns right now as well.

Right now we've got Kuba, Campoli, Phillips, Volchie, Smith, Lee, Picard, Karlsson, Weircioch, Cowen. If we keep Smith, Picard and Lee around then Karlsson, Weircioch and Cowen likely have no spot on the Sens unless they play lights out good.

So that means Karlsson back to Sweden, Weircioch to Bingo?, Cowen to Juniors?, and Picard and Lee fight it out for either 6th or 7th D man. Is there really room for Bell right now? No way he accepts a 2 way deal again unless he has no other choice.

BTW I purposely left Schubert out of this because it wouldn't surprise me if they waived him.

- Unknown Author

92009 Arbitration electees Empty Re: 2009 Arbitration electees Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:15 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Way too many unknowns right now as well.

Right now we've got Kuba, Campoli, Phillips, Volchie, Smith, Lee, Picard, Karlsson, Weircioch, Cowen. If we keep Smith, Picard and Lee around then Karlsson, Weircioch and Cowen likely have no spot on the Sens unless they play lights out good.

So that means Karlsson back to Sweden, Weircioch to Bingo?, Cowen to Juniors?, and Picard and Lee fight it out for either 6th or 7th D man. Is there really room for Bell right now? No way he accepts a 2 way deal again unless he has no other choice.

BTW I purposely left Schubert out of this because it wouldn't surprise me if they waived him.

Wiercioch would go back to Denver. Cowen should jump to Bingo, let the kid earn some cash. I'm not sure where I stand on Karlsson. He probably will go back to Sweden -- he'd likely get paid more there than playing in Bingo. Of course I would prefer he stayed in NA playing a game closer to the NHL style and a longer season. It would also be best for him since dfensemen in the NHL tend to get injured and he'd be among the top-two callups (Cowen being the other one).

Cowen missed a half season of development and I don't think he's ready. For one thing, he's still rehabbing his knee. So I doubt he makes the team either out of camp or as a call up.

Murray has gone on record saying he wants Karlsson to play in Ottawa this year. Of course that depends on how he does at camp, but I expect he will make it.

Wiercioch is a tough one. Do you really want two rookies in the lineup? Well, for a team likely not going anywhere far, why not? On the other hand, with the improved goaltending situation and better defensive *and offensive* play from the team, maybe Murray thinks they will be a middle-of-the-pack team? And that playoff tickets revenue is hard to discount in this economy. Do you risk that by playing two rookie defensemen?

If Karlsson and Wiercioch can show that they are, without a doubt, as good as two of Campoli, Picard and Lee, we may very well see both of them in the lineup in October.

I realize that leaves Smith (and Schubert) out, but I just don't see either one playing D in Ottawa this year.

102009 Arbitration electees Empty Re: 2009 Arbitration electees Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:17 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Way too many unknowns right now as well.

He is a much more useful player than McGrattan was. There should be someone willing to take him -- he's only got 1 year left on his contract, right?

112009 Arbitration electees Empty Re: 2009 Arbitration electees Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:21 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Then why hasn't Murray moved him yet? Is he planning on him being an extra forward that plays spot duty on the 4th line?

- Unknown Author

122009 Arbitration electees Empty Re: 2009 Arbitration electees Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:02 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

From what I've been told, Bell was offered a bit over $1M (not sure if this is one-way or two-way), however he turned it down. I think he is looking at Europe as a potential destination - perhaps already has an offer?

132009 Arbitration electees Empty Re: 2009 Arbitration electees Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:25 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Then why hasn't Murray moved him yet? Is he planning on him being an extra forward that plays spot duty on the 4th line?

You got me. All I know is that when he was playing 4th line banger and filled* in on D he was a very valuable player on this team. The problem is he started sulking and wanted to play D or else. If he can go back to being a swing player then he'd be awesome again.

* Curious, I was typing without looking and originally typed fukked instead of filled. Does that count as a freudian keyboard slip?

142009 Arbitration electees Empty Re: 2009 Arbitration electees Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:25 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Acrobat wrote:From what I've been told, Bell was offered a bit over $1M (not sure if this is one-way or two-way), however he turned it down. I think he is looking at Europe as a potential destination - perhaps already has an offer?

Are you sure you're not remembering that rumored KHL contract?

152009 Arbitration electees Empty Re: 2009 Arbitration electees Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:10 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I just read that Jiri Hudler is going to the KHL. Didn't even wait around for the hearing.

Edit: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284076

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum