GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next For The Senators?

+32
dennycrane
Jordo
Cronie
Hockeyhero22000
rooneypoo
Sens4thecup
beerandsens
strachattack
Cap'n Clutch
caissie_1
LethalLehner
Snuh
Flo The Action
jamvan
The Silfer Server
TeamRenzo
SeawaySensFan
Mojo
Hobiesens
PKC
Urkie
shabbs
TheAvatar
Tuk Tuk
PTFlea
Acrobat
davetherave
LeCaptain
wprager
asq2
Phoenix30
SensFan71
36 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24 ... 45  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 45]

31What's Next For The Senators? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:01 pm

TheAvatar

Veteran
Veteran

Spezza is NOT moving; take that to the bank.

32What's Next For The Senators? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:02 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
davetherave wrote:
Not that I give Ek any cred, but H-Buzz has been buzzing tonight about a Spez to Oil deal.

They love Spezza. :^^^^: Wow, they won't let that go.

Well, I'll say this much: if a deal comes down the pike that we cannot refuse and we end up moving both Heatley and Spezza? I would trust Murray's guidance that he knows what he's doing. That would be crazy though. Ahhhhh!

Well, I didn't find anything from any reliable sources on this one, but the talk earlier this year seemed serious enough...so who knows.

If Bryan Murray does want to make a deal using Jason to leverage some young talent and clear cap room, he only has a short window. Interesting.

Could be a wild weekend!

33What's Next For The Senators? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:15 pm

I have no belief in this rumour at all. One thing that would be true if this has any basis in reality... Ottawa would be in a total rebuild and we would owe it to Alfie/Fisher to allow them to move somewhere else...

34What's Next For The Senators? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:18 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
davetherave wrote:
Not that I give Ek any cred, but H-Buzz has been buzzing tonight about a Spez to Oil deal.

Well, I'll say this much: if a deal comes down the pike that we cannot refuse and we end up moving both Heatley and Spezza? I would trust Murray's guidance that he knows what he's doing. That would be crazy though. Ahhhhh!

Well, I didn't find anything from any reliable sources on this one, but the talk earlier this year seemed serious enough...so who knows.

If Bryan Murray does want to make a deal using Jason to leverage some young talent and clear cap room, he only has a short window. Interesting.

Could be a wild weekend!

Jason Spezza is young talent.

Cap room is worthless if nobody wants to sign here.

Why would anyone sign when we were terrible to begin with and then traded away 2/3rds of the only thing going for us?

35What's Next For The Senators? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:19 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Could be a wild weekend!

Why would anyone sign when we were terrible to begin with and then traded away 2/3rds of the only thing going for us?

...and most important, if Spezza were traded, what would SpezD do for a handle?
Wink

36What's Next For The Senators? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:21 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Could be a wild weekend!

There's virtually nothing Edmonton could offer that would make me trade Jason.

Something insane like Hemsky, Gagner, Eberle, #10 and we'll keep you on the phone.

Aside from that, Spezza needs to realize this is his team, and he can either sink or swim from here.

37What's Next For The Senators? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:22 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Alfalfa. Wink

38What's Next For The Senators? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:23 pm

ThePostMachine?

39What's Next For The Senators? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:23 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Big T wrote:There's virtually nothing Edmonton could offer that would make me trade Jason.

Something insane like Hemsky, Gagner, Eberle, #10 and we'll keep you on the phone.

Yeah, I might consider that one. Wink

40What's Next For The Senators? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:23 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

MurderOnIce wrote:ThePostMachine?

:^^^^: PostDispenser.

41What's Next For The Senators? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:25 pm

asq2 wrote:

:^^^^: PostDispenser.

:^^^:

42What's Next For The Senators? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:26 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Fishouttawater Shrug

43What's Next For The Senators? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:34 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:Alfalfa. Wink

with this as avatar:

What's Next For The Senators? - Page 3 Alfalfa

44What's Next For The Senators? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:26 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Ottawa Citizen leads with this hockey headline this morning:

NOT ONE HEATLEY OFFER YET
Sens don't expect deal at draft; maybe not even by July 1
Allen Panzeri, The Citizen, June 26, 2009

Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray is finding out that trading Dany Heatley is more difficult than he could have ever imagined. Like, maybe impossible.

On the eve of the NHL draft, three weeks after Heatley's demand became public on June 8, the Senators haven't had an offer. Not even one for the proverbial bag of hockey pucks.

Consequently, they don't believe they'll be able to trade Heatley this weekend, and even fear they'll be unable to deal him by July 1, when he must be paid a signing bonus of $4 million U.S.

That could lead to the possibility of Heatley having to play for the Senators next season, however unpleasant that may be for both sides.

Assistant general manager Tim Murray, speaking in place of Bryan on Thursday, acknowledged that's a distinct possibility.

"We're not giving him away because he has made the demand to be traded," he said.

"It has to be a good hockey deal or it won't get done.

"And then we just assume on Sept. 14 or 15 he'll show up at training camp, and be part of our team and go forward, and (be) a big part of our team, obviously."
Tim Murray said the organization was trying to stay hopeful. More than six teams have called asking about the parameters of a trade. But no one has called back.

"I know Bryan has talked to a few different teams and it doesn't seem like there's a serious offer there right at this moment," he said. "But again, I remember doing different deals with Bryan ... and they just come out of the blue in the last second.

"We just staying hopeful."

The rumours about possible destinations for Heatley have been knee-deep here, as speculation begins to swell for the draft. But the view among many is that the Senators are stuck.

"This is not going to happen," one agent said Thursday afternoon. "His contract is unmovable."

Heatley's agents are also taking a beating from their colleagues for making the demand public, especially with the way it appears to be going horribly sideways.

"This is the most moronic thing I've ever heard," one agent said. "No responsible agent would ever do this for a client. You have to tell him that it's just going to kill the chances of making a deal."

The Los Angeles Kings, St. Louis Blues, New York Rangers, Edmonton Oilers, Vancouver Canucks and San Jose Sharks are thought to be among those who have called Murray and offered various packages.

In fact, no one has offered anything. Some teams have even been calling reporters to make it clear they haven't bid, despite speculation. Heatley's contract is a stumbling block. He has five years left with an annual salary-cap hit of $7.5 million.

"I don't know what (the other teams) thinking," Tim Murray said. "They make the call. They ask us the parameters of a trade. We tell them basically what we're looking for, in NHL players, prospects or draft picks. Then it's up to them to decide if they're serious or not."

So far, they're not.

---

PS Pierre McGuire confirmed on his call with Team 1200 this morning that he has spoken with an NHL coach whose team is "very interested in Heatley", and that the $4MM payout remains an issue.

Stay tuned.

45What's Next For The Senators? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:04 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

MurderOnIce wrote:I have no belief in this rumour at all. One thing that would be true if this has any basis in reality... Ottawa would be in a total rebuild and we would owe it to Alfie/Fisher to allow them to move somewhere else...

are we really that far off though, with the young prospects Heatley's deal should bring in and better bring in, we are not there right now, but we will be, so I wouldn't blow it all up.

46What's Next For The Senators? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:04 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

davetherave wrote:
...and most important, if Spezza were traded, what would SpezD do for a handle?
Wink

He's got a limitless supply, and if that ever runs out I'm sure some of us could let him dip into our limitless supply. We may not be a million monkeys sitting at a million typewriters, but we're pretty close (although a couple of us monkeys may be taking a pee break).

Leftie "Spezzs to the Oilers" squirrel

I am utterly amazed how we can go on and on justifying moving Heatley to the Rangers for Drury, yet at the same time give credence (no matter how small) to trading Spezza. Trading Heatley and Spezza means a full-on rebuild. You don't rebuild around a 33-year old, small center making a boatload of money. He is not a first liner -- no one will argue with me on that; yet he is making more money than Spezza. Intangibles are what you need on a playoff bound club, but a team in full rebuild is likely going other places come April.

47What's Next For The Senators? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:06 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Just "PostMan" will do.

48What's Next For The Senators? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:08 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

Just "PostMan" will do.

not "postwhore"? that might not be appropriate now I think of it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 45]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24 ... 45  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum