GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next For The Senators?

+32
dennycrane
Jordo
Cronie
Hockeyhero22000
rooneypoo
Sens4thecup
beerandsens
strachattack
Cap'n Clutch
caissie_1
LethalLehner
Snuh
Flo The Action
jamvan
The Silfer Server
TeamRenzo
SeawaySensFan
Mojo
Hobiesens
PKC
Urkie
shabbs
TheAvatar
Tuk Tuk
PTFlea
Acrobat
davetherave
LeCaptain
wprager
asq2
Phoenix30
SensFan71
36 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 43, 44, 45

Go down  Message [Page 45 of 45]

661What's Next For The Senators? - Page 45 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:25 am

marakh wrote:
Zoolander wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Diddle that, I'd take Phaneuf with no questions asked. Calgary would be insane to do it though.

Not straight up I wouldn't. Dion is bad defensively. We have enough guys who are talented offensively but lack defensively. If we are trading the 3rd highest goal scorer in the league since the lockout, I want a d-man who excels at both ends. I'd like a kid like Boyd from Calgary too though.

Of course, this wouldn't do anything to help our cap situation.

Hence my Burns or Weber suggestion.

In a heartbeat.

662What's Next For The Senators? - Page 45 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:25 am

SpezDispenser wrote:http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=80458

Where did this guy go? I don't even see him on any depth charts for prospects or anything.

Weird. Admittedly, I didn't spend more than 5 minutes googling, but he appears to have fallen off the edge of the Earth.

663What's Next For The Senators? - Page 45 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:29 am

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Yep.

I've been saying this for weeks now, with very few listeners, but here it is again in its briefest form:

With the Kovalev signing, the Senators pretty much set themselves up so that they CAN'T take back a big fat contract in any deal for Heatley. Period.

We're all Sens fans here (for the most part), but seriously, do yourself a favour and top fantasizing about taking $5+ mil contracts back unless you want to see the team put itself in a near-impossible position for 2010-11.

However, for the first time in a long, long time, the contracts are spread out somewhat evenly. With 3 rookies coming up to complete the D. It would mean the end of Phillips probably, and probably a trade of Kuba, but in the long run a top 5 of Cowen, Wiercioch, Phaneuf, Karlsson, Volchenkov is the best in the business IMO.

Yeah, trading Kuba the moment his NTC is off the books in 2010 would be a must if you wanted to trade Heatley for a big contract and still have the cap space to retain Volchenkov.

Moving Kuba is only an option, tho', if someone like Campoli or Karlsson has a major breakthrough year, OR if the big contract coming back our way is a D (like Phaneuf). If you trade Heatley for a forward and then move Kuba to retain that forward, then you've significantly weakened the Senators' overall D. Kids like Campoli, Karlsson, and Wiercioch are nowhere near ready to do what Kuba does -- play 20+ minutes a night, kill penalties, QB the PP, etc., etc. If you think otherwise, then you don't understand how long it takes for defenceman to break into the league. Guys like Phaneuf and Doughty, who made the adjustment to the NHL quickly, are the exception and not the rule. Most D prospects take years to adjust.

Anyway, anyway you spin it, getting another expensive forward contract for Heatley is more of the same and so a mistake. It's front-loading, and directly and noticeably at the expense of our D. Michalek's $4.3 mil is about the biggest contract I'm ready to take back.

100% agreed. I'd take Michalek, but only if we are getting the rest of the package in the form of prospects. If you add a guy like Vlasic or Erhoff, there is literally no cap savings at all.

What about a guy like Pavelski, who is making $1.6 this season and is RFA (arbitration eligible) next season? That would give us the flexibility to add him and Vlasic and gives us some wiggle room. Pavelski would also give us a true #2 centre and would allow us to move Fisher to the wing, whether he likes it or not.

664What's Next For The Senators? - Page 45 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:31 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Apparently, Brendan "Beller" Bell is not part of "What's n
Next for the Senators":

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/07/27/10281286-sun.html

The reason, according too Booboo:

The club simply has too many defencemen already under contract — eight (Chris Phillips, Filip Kuba, Jason Smith, Anton Volchenkov, Alexandre Picard, Brian Lee, Chris Campoli and 2008 first-round pick Erik Karlsson). That doesn’t include Christoph Schubert, a forward who often plays defence.

No kidding.

665What's Next For The Senators? - Page 45 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:42 am

Where did this guy go? I don't even see him on any depth charts for prospects or anything.

Playing 6 full seasons in the "Q"...I think he off'd himself.

666What's Next For The Senators? - Page 45 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:43 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

notch4077 wrote:

Playing 6 full seasons in the "Q"...I think he off'd himself.

:^^^^:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 45 of 45]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 43, 44, 45

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum