GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade

+6
Amnesia021
wprager
AlfieforPM
PTFlea
PKC
Phoenix30
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:00 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Phoenix30 wrote:
I have no problem with Oleg. I think he was a good addition and would have loved to see what he could have done here in a full season. It was the cost of a 2nd round pick in a deep draft is what bothers me. A 3rd and a low prospect maybe but not a 2nd for a 4th line rental. I am not sure if Murray would or not pick Staal and we'll never know. Personally myself I like the idea of having the name Staal in our organization. He is going to be a big boy as he matures and develops. But if not staal we could have gotten another prospect to show something for our trade. This is another example of how Muckler screwed our depth.

Well, he may have given up a 2nd for a rent-a-third-liner but he also got Comrie for Kaigorodov. No matter what your opinion of Saprykin, I'd say Muckler came out wasy ahead, overall. Then, again, who drafted Kaigorodov in the first place?

I don't want anyone to think that I dislike Saprykin, but I got the distinct feeling that he came with some baggage. Yet another Russian player who had skill but lacked consistent desire. He was a good player but, really, nothing special. Donovan will play for half his salary, yet their contribution could be very similar.

17Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:16 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:

Heater, I know you loved that, but it was one goal. Someone else could have scored it just as easily. Saprykin was an OK acquisition, but we didn't keep him and no-one else (in the NHL) wanted him. That's gotta be saying something, no?

I see your point, the guy wasn't the type of guy that we need (imagine a guy like Guerin), but, at least it worked out for all concerned. And Lapointe at last year's deadline. LOL. Some heady stuff there. Sad

18Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:18 pm

It would be sweet if we could get Guerin and Comrie out of NYI at the trade deadline. Maybe throw in Doug Weight too Smile

19Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:44 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

Well, he may have given up a 2nd for a rent-a-third-liner but he also got Comrie for Kaigorodov. No matter what your opinion of Saprykin, I'd say Muckler came out wasy ahead, overall. Then, again, who drafted Kaigorodov in the first place?

I don't want anyone to think that I dislike Saprykin, but I got the distinct feeling that he came with some baggage. Yet another Russian player who had skill but lacked consistent desire. He was a good player but, really, nothing special. Donovan will play for half his salary, yet their contribution could be very similar.

For all the media's crying, Saprykin was a decent add. He did what could be expected of him, and then a little more. He, Schubert, and McAmmond made for one of the better fourth lines in the playoffs that year, that's for sure, smashing and crashing everything in sight and scoring a few goals to boot. And that line what by far our best in the finals.

That might be more of a sad commentary on the rest of the team than high praise of Saprykin.

In any event, a 2nd was certainly too high. I could have lived with a 3rd straight up, or a 2nd with a 5th coming back instead of a 7th. But instead we overpaid for him.

20Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:52 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:It would be sweet if we could get Guerin and Comrie out of NYI at the trade deadline. Maybe throw in Doug Weight too Smile

I was literally thinking that earlier today. At the deadline, they're 2 million dollars worth of cap space...so...it's definitely possible.

21Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:17 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:
For all the media's crying, Saprykin was a decent add. He did what could be expected of him, and then a little more. He, Schubert, and McAmmond made for one of the better fourth lines in the playoffs that year, that's for sure, smashing and crashing everything in sight and scoring a few goals to boot. And that line what by far our best in the finals.

That might be more of a sad commentary on the rest of the team than high praise of Saprykin.

In any event, a 2nd was certainly too high. I could have lived with a 3rd straight up, or a 2nd with a 5th coming back instead of a 7th. But instead we overpaid for him.

Best in the finals? If I recall, Alfie and Fisher got us 5 goals, a combined 9 points in those 5 games. Saprykin had 1 assist in 4 games, +1 (why did he miss the opener?). McAmmond 1 goal in 3 games, even. Schubert 1 assist in 4 games, -2.

Granted, Heatley (1 goal) and Spezza (2 assists) could have done better, but they were playing against Anaheim's top shutdown line and defensive pairing. And stats ain't everything -- I know. I'm just wondering how you can say they were our best line?

22Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:10 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Muckler's M.O. for years was to give away a 2nd or 3rd rounder for a plug player at the deadline. He may not have been giving up 1st rounders but after a while that starts to empty out the cupboard.

- Unknown Author

23Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:43 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:It would be sweet if we could get Guerin and Comrie out of NYI at the trade deadline. Maybe throw in Doug Weight too Smile

Oh man, That would be freakin' sweet!!

24Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:49 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Cronenbergfan wrote:

That would cost more than most of us would be willing to pay. Remember what SJ paid for Guerin 2 years ago? Now multiply that by 2 or 3... and then remember that all you're getting in return is a first line which, on any other team, is a second line at best.

I'd take Comrie or Guerin short-term and for a cheap price (i.e., no significant roster players, no 1st rounders), but otherwise... a giant pass.

25Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:50 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:

That would cost more than most of us would be willing to pay. Remember what SJ paid for Guerin 2 years ago? Now multiply that by 2 or 3... and then remember that all you're getting in return is a first line which, on any other team, is a second line at best.

I'd take Comrie or Guerin short-term and for a cheap price (i.e., no significant roster players, no 1st rounders), but otherwise... a giant pass.

Good point. While I'd like to have them on our squad, once I get passed the day-dreaming factor and have to actually look at the price involved, I'd have to walk away...

Although, to bring Comrie back into the fold would be interesting...

26Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:01 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:Muckler's M.O. for years was to give away a 2nd or 3rd rounder for a plug player at the deadline. He may not have been giving up 1st rounders but after a while that starts to empty out the cupboard.

I looked up Mucklers bio and found that before us he had limited GM experience and made to major deals with Buffalo. When he came to Ottawa he more or less cut his teeth with us for his trading experience. He gave a 2nd rounder in 2005, 2006 (61st overall and based on the names available it could have neted us G Steve Mason), and 2008 draft years (lots of depth in this draft so potential to pick up Staal or another quality player was there).

After looking at the deals he has made I now think in hind-sight his inexperience may have been brought to the forefront. The deals at the time for the players brought in werent too bad however you would think a better arrangement could have been made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Muckler

27Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:05 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Cronenbergfan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:

Good point. While I'd like to have them on our squad, once I get passed the day-dreaming factor and have to actually look at the price involved, I'd have to walk away...

I'd like to see Comrie back as well but do you bring him in at the deadline again or make a big push for him in the off season when he is a UFA again. If its done in the off season i wonder if the Stanley Cup discount would be still on the table that he was willing to sign in the past. One could only hope since he made his money with NYI.

28Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:10 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Phoenix30 wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:

I'd like to see Comrie back as well but do you bring him in at the deadline again or make a big push for him in the off season when he is a UFA again. If its done in the off season i wonder if the Stanley Cup discount would be still on the table that he was willing to sign in the past. One could only hope since he made his money with NYI.

Well, it certainly couldn't hurt for Murray to ask him eh?
He made his $$ in Long Island for sure, and if he wants to compete, I think Murray could get him on the line and NOT hang up right away...

29Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:13 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

I wouldn't want Comrie for his price tag, there are hundreds of better players than him we could nab at the deadline.

30Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:38 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

jamvan wrote:I wouldn't want Comrie for his price tag, there are hundreds of better players than him we could nab at the deadline.

Who would you suggest then.

31Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:45 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Phoenix30 wrote:
jamvan wrote:I wouldn't want Comrie for his price tag, there are hundreds of better players than him we could nab at the deadline.

Kovulchuk!!!

32Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:04 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

jamvan wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

Kovulchuk!!!

He would be real nice but we might as well send the entire farm plus some for him.

33Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Sens and Oleg Saprykin trade Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:35 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

Best in the finals? If I recall, Alfie and Fisher got us 5 goals, a combined 9 points in those 5 games. Saprykin had 1 assist in 4 games, +1 (why did he miss the opener?). McAmmond 1 goal in 3 games, even. Schubert 1 assist in 4 games, -2.

Granted, Heatley (1 goal) and Spezza (2 assists) could have done better, but they were playing against Anaheim's top shutdown line and defensive pairing. And stats ain't everything -- I know. I'm just wondering how you can say they were our best line?

We all know that the score sheet doesn't reveal the whole story. Yes, Fisher and Alfie scored more goals (and they better have!), but that line went out and smashed the crap out of everything in sight and played their hearts out. They made the most out of every single second they had on the ice. They were also the only ones who didn't get tossed around like rag dolls and intimidated. That goal from McAmmond in game 3 was enormous.

That's not just me saying that. It was pretty much consensus at the time. Heck, I remember even the CBC announcing blabbering on about it.

No doubt about it, tho', Alfie was our best player. He was f'ing amazing even in a losing cause.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum