GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next for the Coyotes?

+19
tim1_2
NEELY
Cap'n Clutch
Hobiesens
pegsensfan
SensGal
Riprock
SensHulk
strachattack
PTFlea
Tuk Tuk
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
The Silfer Server
asq2
caissie_1
shabbs
wprager
davetherave
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 21]

91What's Next for the Coyotes? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's Next for the Coyotes? Sun May 09, 2010 2:07 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

And if the team stays there they lose money. They will find players who will play in Winnipeg.

92What's Next for the Coyotes? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's Next for the Coyotes? Sun May 09, 2010 7:14 pm

pegsensfan

Prospect
Prospect

well i guess i wouldnt be a pegsensfan anymore.....have to be a pegjetsfan hahahaha. would still keep my spezza jersey.

93What's Next for the Coyotes? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's Next for the Coyotes? Mon May 10, 2010 12:06 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

pegsensfan wrote:well i guess i wouldnt be a pegsensfan anymore.....have to be a pegjetsfan hahahaha. would still keep my spezza jersey.

You would go for the Jets ahead of the Sens?

94What's Next for the Coyotes? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's Next for the Coyotes? Mon May 10, 2010 12:06 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:If that team move, no vets are going to be resigning there. What Pheonix did this year wont be repeated, everything went perfectly for them this year. Michalek is going to be an enormous loss, same with Lang.

I doubt Doan will be thrilled. I could see him wanting a trade.

95What's Next for the Coyotes? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's Next for the Coyotes? Mon May 10, 2010 1:54 pm

SensGal

Rookie
Rookie

SpezDispenser wrote:
pegsensfan wrote:well i guess i wouldnt be a pegsensfan anymore.....have to be a pegjetsfan hahahaha. would still keep my spezza jersey.

You would go for the Jets ahead of the Sens?

I know this wasn't for me. But I would probably cheer for both equally. Unless faced in the playoffs, I'd cheer for Sens still. But I was a Jets fan before I was a Sens fan, plus I am from Winnipeg originally.

96What's Next for the Coyotes? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's Next for the Coyotes? Mon May 10, 2010 6:11 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Could the "Coyotes" play in Winnipeg this coming season (2010-11)? They have an arena, and while it is smaller than most cities, the difference would be they would sellout more often than Phoenix (and Florida, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville).

97What's Next for the Coyotes? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's Next for the Coyotes? Mon May 10, 2010 10:10 pm

pegsensfan

Prospect
Prospect

well i was born and raised in manitoba and live in winnipeg currently, so i would have season tickets to the jets and well, the sens could be my east team and the jets my west team. Lets leave it at that What's Next for the Coyotes? - Page 7 54934

98What's Next for the Coyotes? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's Next for the Coyotes? Mon May 10, 2010 10:36 pm

SensGal

Rookie
Rookie

^^ Where in Manitoba?

I would be the same as you. I'd cheer for Sens in the East, and Jets in the West. And then if it came down to the end with I'd cheer for Sens.

99What's Next for the Coyotes? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's Next for the Coyotes? Mon May 10, 2010 11:22 pm

strachattack

strachattack
Rookie
Rookie

I would be a fan of both the Jets and Sens. I too was born in Winnipeg and raised for the most part in Ottawa. If they met in the finals I would have to go for the Sens though.

100What's Next for the Coyotes? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's Next for the Coyotes? Tue May 11, 2010 7:25 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:So, then it's Ice Edge or bust... a move to Winnipeg!

Wink

Ice Edge is out:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2010/05/10/sp-nhl-coyotes-ice-edge.html?ref=rss

The attempt by Ice Edge Holdings to buy the Phoenix Coyotes has run into major trouble.

Negotiations broke off Monday between the group and the City of Glendale over a potential arena lease deal for the financially struggling NHL team.

Ice Edge had demanded an exclusivity agreement in talks with Glendale, which missed its Monday deadline to grant one.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2010/05/10/sp-nhl-coyotes-ice-edge.html?ref=rss#ixzz0ncS0N1dm

'Course, it could just be hardball.

101What's Next for the Coyotes? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's Next for the Coyotes? Tue May 11, 2010 7:32 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

And to follow that up: NHL facing a glut of potential for-sale teams:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/33513-Campbells-Cuts-NHL-facing-glut-of-potential-forsale-teams.html

The first spot is Los Angeles, where it’s believed the Kings will likely go up for auction sometime in the near future. We know what you’re thinking. That’s to pave the way for Kings owner Philip Anschutz to move a team into his building in Kansas City, but it turns out he’s apparently just getting tired of losing money.

The other spot where there are rumblings of an ownership change is St. Louis, a team that appears to be on the right track after bottoming out a couple of seasons ago. The Nashville Predators are looking for a cash infusion in the way of investors and there are signs the Carolina Hurricanes and even the New Jersey Devils might be for sale in the near future.

The problem is that almost all of those teams lose money. That, in and of itself, is a problem, but business people also like to talk about “cost of capital,” which is the cost you bear by having your money tied up in ventures that don’t make anything. So assuming the cost of capital is 10 percent, an owner who has his money tied up in an NHL team is losing the opportunity to use that money to invest in something that will give him a better return, plus he has to absorb the operating losses, which, in many cases, are between $20 million and $30 million a season.

Another situation that bears watching is the New York Islanders. Reports that owner Charles Wang is ready to walk away from the franchise appear to be a little premature, but there is little doubt he is running out of patience. The Lighthouse Project, which would have given the Islanders a new arena and revitalized the area, looks like it will be scaled back considerably if it even sees the light of day.

Wang has lost millions over the past 10 years and might not be willing to wait another 10 years to get a new building. Waiting in the wings is New York Mets owner Jeffrey Wilpon, who could buy the team and move it to a new arena near the Mets’ new Citi Field.

By the way, was anyone here aware that Bettman is making around $8M a year in salary?

102What's Next for the Coyotes? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's Next for the Coyotes? Tue May 11, 2010 8:51 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'm delighted by all of this.

103What's Next for the Coyotes? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's Next for the Coyotes? Tue May 11, 2010 9:21 am

pegsensfan

Prospect
Prospect

SensGal wrote:^^ Where in Manitoba?

I would be the same as you. I'd cheer for Sens in the East, and Jets in the West. And then if it came down to the end with I'd cheer for Sens.

I am from Roblin, but was born in Dauphin. Have lived in Winnipeg for the last 15 years or so.

Glendale votes today on whether or not they want to pay the lost money from this season (around 25million) and next season (probably around the same) to keep the coyotes. Its really funny because this story is like page 10 of the sports section in pheonix, they really dont care.

104What's Next for the Coyotes? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's Next for the Coyotes? Tue May 11, 2010 9:26 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:So, then it's Ice Edge or bust... a move to Winnipeg!

What's Next for the Coyotes? - Page 7 Icon_wink

Ice Edge is out:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2010/05/10/sp-nhl-coyotes-ice-edge.html?ref=rss

The attempt by Ice Edge Holdings to buy the Phoenix Coyotes has run into major trouble.

Negotiations broke off Monday between the group and the City of Glendale over a potential arena lease deal for the financially struggling NHL team.

Ice Edge had demanded an exclusivity agreement in talks with Glendale, which missed its Monday deadline to grant one.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2010/05/10/sp-nhl-coyotes-ice-edge.html?ref=rss#ixzz0ncS0N1dm

'Course, it could just be hardball.

This is funny from both sides. Glendale doesn't want to formalize "exclusivity" with the only bidder. And the kids at Ice Edge want to play "big business" even though they have no real money of their own.

I do appreciate the entertainment, though.

105What's Next for the Coyotes? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's Next for the Coyotes? Tue May 11, 2010 9:49 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:And to follow that up: NHL facing a glut of potential for-sale teams:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/33513-Campbells-Cuts-NHL-facing-glut-of-potential-forsale-teams.html

The first spot is Los Angeles, where it’s believed the Kings will likely go up for auction sometime in the near future. We know what you’re thinking. That’s to pave the way for Kings owner Philip Anschutz to move a team into his building in Kansas City, but it turns out he’s apparently just getting tired of losing money.

The other spot where there are rumblings of an ownership change is St. Louis, a team that appears to be on the right track after bottoming out a couple of seasons ago. The Nashville Predators are looking for a cash infusion in the way of investors and there are signs the Carolina Hurricanes and even the New Jersey Devils might be for sale in the near future.

The problem is that almost all of those teams lose money. That, in and of itself, is a problem, but business people also like to talk about “cost of capital,” which is the cost you bear by having your money tied up in ventures that don’t make anything. So assuming the cost of capital is 10 percent, an owner who has his money tied up in an NHL team is losing the opportunity to use that money to invest in something that will give him a better return, plus he has to absorb the operating losses, which, in many cases, are between $20 million and $30 million a season.

Another situation that bears watching is the New York Islanders. Reports that owner Charles Wang is ready to walk away from the franchise appear to be a little premature, but there is little doubt he is running out of patience. The Lighthouse Project, which would have given the Islanders a new arena and revitalized the area, looks like it will be scaled back considerably if it even sees the light of day.

Wang has lost millions over the past 10 years and might not be willing to wait another 10 years to get a new building. Waiting in the wings is New York Mets owner Jeffrey Wilpon, who could buy the team and move it to a new arena near the Mets’ new Citi Field.

By the way, was anyone here aware that Bettman is making around $8M a year in salary?

That's absurd - no way he's worth Crosby money. Does he also have a NMC?

106What's Next for the Coyotes? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's Next for the Coyotes? Tue May 11, 2010 1:27 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NHL schedule includes Winnipeg

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2010/05/11/mb-nhl-winnipeg-coyotes-winnipeg.html

107What's Next for the Coyotes? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's Next for the Coyotes? Tue May 11, 2010 2:20 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

That's one step closer and I am quite thrilled.

108What's Next for the Coyotes? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's Next for the Coyotes? Tue May 11, 2010 3:06 pm

Hobiesens

Hobiesens
Sophomore
Sophomore

The NHL has a “contingency” schedule in place that would see the Winnipeg Jets play in the Northwest Division, a fall-back position should the league be forced to move the Coyotes out of Phoenix.
According to the CBC, the Colorado Avalanche would move to the Pacific Division.
“It’s only speculation so it would be too early to comment on that,” Jean Martineau, the vice-president of communications for the Colorado Avalanche, told thestar.com. regarding the possibility of switching divisions.
The league bought the Coyotes in bankruptcy court last fall for $140 million (all figures U.S.). The team has lost a further $20 million this season. The NHL is hoping the City of Glendale, which owns the Jobing.com Arena, and a group of hockey loving investors known as Ice Edge Holdings, can come to terms on a deal that could keep the team in Arizona.
Talks broke off Monday evening when the Glendale failed to offer Ice Edge exclusive negotiating rights. It may all be a ploy, but a city council meeting Tuesday night may represent the city’s last and best chance at finding a buyer.
Ice Edge investor Daryl Jones tweeted his followers on Tuesday, encouraging them to attend the meeting at Glendale city hall.
The league has a window that opens June 30 to move the team. It’s believed billionaire David Thomson would buy the team and put it in Winnipeg.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 21]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum