GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next for the Devils?

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

31What's Next for the Devils? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:20 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Niedermayer (assuming he is the "Scotty" in question) is turning 36 this August.

They're talking about Clemenson (sp).

32What's Next for the Devils? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:36 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:Niedermayer (assuming he is the "Scotty" in question) is turning 36 this August.

$2M plus incentives? Oofs, that's a little steep, no?

33What's Next for the Devils? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:40 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

$2M plus incentives? Oofs, that's a little steep, no?

I agree. Unless Clemmer is comfortable as Brodeur's backup for the rest of his career then he's got to want a shot at being number 1 right? I suppose there could be worse gigs. He could still have a shot at a ring or two more if he stays in New Jersey.

34What's Next for the Devils? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:45 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

RobbyJ wrote:
davetherave wrote:Rooney, again, to your point about Lou letting Clemmensen leave, the modus vivendi is already established in Jersey...Holik, Shanny and Rolston all headed off to greener pastures only to return to the fold.

Lou can give Scotty $2MM if that's what it takes...but I can foresee a more complex long term arrangement structured by the Devils, including bonuses for number of games played and won.

The situation may be analogous to the Kiprusoff-McElhinney relationship in CGY. Sutter just re-upped The Mac with a healthy bump and a promise of more ice.

A similar scenario is eminently credible for the Clemmer and LouLam, is it not?

In other words...better the Devils you know, than the devils you don't?
Bonuses are not allowed in the CBA other than for entry level contracts and players over 35.

Robby, thanks for this info.

Clemmensen turns 32 in July. To begin with, IMHO everything depends on whether the parties agree on a deal.

Depending how creative Lamoriello wants to get, he presumedly has a number of options. I am not an expert in the CBA, but Lou surely is. He might find ways to structure a three-year deal (or a series of one year deals) with a sliding scale based on wins and games played.

My point, in response to Rooney's, was simply that Clemmer might just want to stay in Jersey, and there are good reasons for him to do so.

35What's Next for the Devils? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:11 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sutter set to step down
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281325

36What's Next for the Devils? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:34 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Sutter set to step down
[url=http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281325
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281325[/quote[/url]]

Does this mean he's going back the the Rebel or is he actually going to coach Calgary? If so isn't that a bit of a slap in the face to Lou Lam? I sure hope he's got his blessing on this. I wouldn't want to mess the the Lou. Ahhhhh!

- Unknown Author

37What's Next for the Devils? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:44 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Couldn't tell you, but given what his brother has been doing/saying, I think he's heading to the Flames.

38What's Next for the Devils? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:01 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Sutter set to step down
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281325

Sorry, I double posted that article.

Big news - not unexpected - but big news.

39What's Next for the Devils? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:00 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SUTTER STEPS DOWN AS DEVILS COACH
Toronto Star/AP, June 9 2008

NEWARK, N.J. – Brent Sutter has resigned as the coach of the New Jersey Devils after two seasons.

Sutter on Tuesday cited family reasons in making the decision, saying the Devils' crushing loss to the Carolina Hurricanes in Game 7 of their first-round Eastern Conference playoff series had nothing to do with it.

"I resigned my position as head coach and if there is anything that needs to be done I'll be there for them," said Sutter, who had a year left on his contract.
New Jersey, which won its seventh Atlantic Division title in 12 years this past spring, gave two goals in the final 80 seconds in losing 4-3.

Sutter was said to be longing for his home in Red Deer, Alberta, after the playoffs ended.

40What's Next for the Devils? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:25 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From his vantage point in the New York Metro Area, Stan Fischler provides his take on the Sutter departure and who may succeed him:

SUTTER'S OUT: WHO'S IN?
Stan Fischler, GAMEON! MSG.com, June 9, 2009

Mercifully – and not a moment too soon – the Brent Sutter Era has ended in New Jersey.

Only Lou Lamoriello knows whose head-coaching Era will be next as guessing runs the gamut from John MacLean to Guy Carbonneau to Peter Laviolette.

During his early afternoon conference call announcing his resignation, Sutter was asked if he thought MacLean was ready to be Devils head coach and shot back, "You bet."

Sutter then added, "I hope that John will be part of the process."

Others note that MacLean has been bypassed before and that the Devils boss has, in the past, leaned toward American-born leaders.

Laviolette, a New Englander like Lou, has a Stanley Cup ring among his credentials.

Leaving two solid – but significantly unfulfilled – seasons behind the Devils' bench, Sutter cited "personal and family" reasons for giving up a job he surely could have had for another year.

He insisted that the fact his brother, Darryl, runs the Calgary Flames and is looking for a head coach had nothing to do with his decision.

"I haven't even thought about it (Calgary) and, besides, they would have to get permission from Lou," Brent explained.

However, there was a slight caveat when Sutter added, "It's like anything else...." Meaning, if someone offered something, one has to listen. Then, he repeated, "It's up to Lou."

Brent stressed that stress was a key part of his thought process, and it all began two years ago when he decided not to bring his family East from his ranch and Junior hockey team in Red Deer, Alberta. Missing family bothered him, but he still wasn't sure what to do once the Devils were eliminated from the playoffs in April.

"This was a big decision," he explained. "So big that I stayed around New Jersey after the season. I wanted to be by myself thinking it over. I wanted to be sure that once I made my move I would never look back."

Speaking from his Red Deer ranch, he noted that last evening was the first that he enjoyed "a good night's sleep" because he now believes he did the right thing.

Sutter: "I had neglected my family and now I'm back to my life here."

Did he consider himself a quitter? Brent was bluntly asked during the conference call.

"I couldn't care less what people say," he shot back. "I know that people here (in Red Deer) would not say that, but the people there (in New Jersey) might."

Sutter praised Lamoriello and Devils co-owner Jeff Vanderbeek for their understanding, but he insisted that he would play no part in helping Lou choose a successor.

"Lou is very intelligent," Brent went on, "and he'll find the right person. And that one will be a better coach than Brent Sutter."

If one judges by regular season success, Sutter did a bang-up job during both seasons behind the bench; especially in 2008-09 when he helped keep the team afloat after Martin Brodeur was sidelined for a good chunk of the season with injury.

"We had fifty-one wins," Sutter remarked, "but our seasons are measured by whether or not we win The Stanley Cup. We never accomplished that."

Each of his two Springs were pockmarked with embarrassment.

The first time around Sutter's club was ousted by the Rangers in the opening round. This year, it appeared that his team was en route to a seventh game win over Carolina in the first round. New Jersey led by a goal down to the dying minutes of the third period when the Canes rallied to tie. Even more depressing, Eric Staal then beat Brodeur for the winner before the clock ran out in regulation time.

In some ways, it was the blackest moment in Devils history, and for that Sutter must share some of the blame. After all, he was making the late-game decisions.

Brent admitted that it was one of the toughest experiences he ever had in hockey, but he also noted that the shocking defeat "had absolutely no" impact on his permanent move away from New Jersey.

Now the spotlight shifts to Lamoriello and his pursuit of a successor. Candidates are aplenty, including Stanley Cup-winners such as Bob Hartley and Marc Crawford, not to mention a dark horse possibility such as Ted Nolan.

Only Lou knows. But the rest of us should know soon enough. Very soon, in fact.

41What's Next for the Devils? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:03 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star Tribune seems to think the possibility Jacques Lemaire will re-unite with LouLam is a real one.

Lemaire back to Jersey?
June 9, 2008

The worst kept secret in hockey — or worst kept speculation in hockey — literally since last winter appears to be coming into fruition. According to CTV in Calgary, Brent Sutter will step down as the coach of the Devils today.

Sutter’s tenure there ended in devastating fashion. In Game 7 back in April, the Carolina Hurricanes went from being 1:20 away from their season ending to ending the season of the Devils with 32 seconds left.

I’d expect that Jacques Lemaire will at least get a phone call to see if he’s interested in returning to Jersey.

Lemaire, who has yet to sign on as a consultant in Tampa for some reason, made it crystal clear after he left Minnesota that he does want to coach again. But he also made it crystal clear that if he ever were to coach again, it has to be for a general manager he has a relationship with. And he said it has to be on the East coast.

Well, there aren’t a lot of options with so many limitations.

Lemaire coached the Devils from 1993-98, winning a Cup there in the lockout-shortened 1994-95 season. He and GM Lou Lamoriello still have great mutual respect for each other, proof by the hour they spent in the stands chatting each other up when the Wild was there in March.

Only time will tell, but this has been my gut feeling from the moment Lemaire said he wanted to coach again after the season finale in Columbus. Just to make clear, this is pure conjecture though.

42What's Next for the Devils? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:43 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From New Jersey today:

MADDEN WILL TEST THE MARKET AS A UFA
Rich Chere, The Newark Star-Ledger, June 15, 2009

John Madden has won two Stanley Cup championships with the Devils and remains one of the club's key veteran forwards, but he hasn't spoken to general manager Lou Lamoriello yet about a new contract and will therefore test the market on July 1 as an unrestricted free agent.

In a conversation Monday, Madden said he wouldn't rule out re-signing with the Devils but doesn't have any talks with Lamoriello scheduled.

"I think either way I'll end up going to July 1st. I've waited this long. I might as well see it through for the next couple of weeks," Madden told me.

The 36-year-old center played 76 games last season and scored 23 points (seven goals, 16 assists). That was a drop in offensive production from the previous season.

Madden's role shadowing top opposing scorers was also diminished at various points during the season by coach Brent Sutter. So, will he have to convince the Devils to take him back?

"I don't want to try to convince anybody. I want a team that wants me there and needs me there, someone for whom I can provide my services," he said. "I do believe there are a lot of teams out there that I can help."

And the Devils might still want him back. Lamoriello has been focused recently on finding a new head coach more than signing free agents.

Asked if he thinks the Devils want him back, Madden said: "I think they do. I hope they do. I'd like to stay but I really don't know. It's hard to say when you haven't talked to anyone."

He said a possible return to the Devils for a 10th full season likely won't hinge on the person hired to be the next coach.

"I don't think so. A coach is a coach," Madden said. "I'm just going to play hockey, so I don't think that will matter either way. I'm curious to see who will be the coach. There are some good candidates out there, including John MacLean."

Madden said he backed Sutter's decision to step down.

"I am a bit surprised, but I also think he made the right choice," Madden explained. "The reason he said was being away from home and his daughter and family. Can't argue with those reasons."

Madden's Morris County home is for sale, but it has been his intention to build a new home on another piece of property he owns nearby.

43What's Next for the Devils? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:55 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN's EJ Hradek and Timo Seppa from Puck Prospectus dare to discern what bedevils the Devils.

DEVILS POWER PLAY NEEDS FIXING
Two-way center would be perfect addition
EJ Hradek, Timo Seppa, ESPN.com, June 16, 2009

Plugging Holes - New Jersey Devils

What's Next for the Devils? - Page 3 Njd
The Hole: An all-around center who can generate PPG

New Jersey's offense (+5.6) trailed its defense (+9.9) and goaltending (+14.8) in GVT contribution. The Devils were last in the league at drawing penalties (307 opportunities, 30th in the NHL) and mediocre at converting their power plays (18.9 percent, 15th), translating to only 58 PPG scored (22nd). Their priorities should include retaining C Travis Zajac (62 points, +11.8 GVT), RW Brian Gionta (60 points, +9.7 GVT, +2.7 PP GVT) and D Johnny Oduya (29 points, +7.8 GVT). Expect Lou Lamoriello to show the door to C John Madden (23 points, -2.0 GVT) and C Bobby Holik (9 points, -1.2 GVT).

The Fix: Sign C Saku Koivu (UFA, Montreal)

The longtime Canadiens captain, Koivu (50 points, +8.1 GVT) can bring intelligence, leadership and two-way play to the Devils, and would more than offset the loss of replacement-level centers Madden and Holik. Koivu (+1.6 PP GVT, 54.1 percent faceoff percentage), who has scored 24 of 54 goals (44 percent) over the past three seasons on the man advantage, would warrant receiving proportionately more power-play time than Zajac (+0.0 PP GVT). The 34-year-old Finn should provide more opportunities for the Devils as well, as he draws 1.0 penalties per 60 minutes versus taking 0.3 penalties per 60 minutes. His +0.7 net penalties per 60 minutes was superior to that of any New Jersey center.

E.J.'s Take: While GM Lou Lamoriello has always liked players who come through Montreal and Koivu's playing demeanor fits the Devils' philosophy, I'd be mildly surprised if they signed the free-agent Finn. Of course, I think a final decision might depend on who replaces departed head coach Brent Sutter.

I believe the Devils' biggest need is on defense. They need to upgrade that group. In a perfect scenario, they would add another top-four type. Rather than sign Koivu, I think they'd be wiser to make a play for the Vancouver Canucks' free-agent defender, Mattias Ohlund.

Penalties per 60 minutes statistics provided by behindthenet.ca.

Timo Seppa is a writer for Puck Prospectus. E.J. Hradek is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

Note: A mainstay of Puck Prospectus's metrics is "Goals Versus Threshold" (GVT). The stat blends an array of offensive and defensive figures to measure the value, in terms of goals, a player contributes above what the marginal player would over the course of the season. A marginal player is one that could be replaced with a player of equivalent skill, e.g. from the minors. For instance, Evgeni Malkin had an offensive GVT of +18.9, a defensive GVT of +4.5 and a total GVT of +23.4 for the 2008-9 regular season, meaning that Malkin was worth 23.4 goals more than a marginal player over the course of the season, or worth about 0.3 additional goals per game. In the team context, GVT refers to performance above an NHL average team. For the regular season, the Detroit Red Wings had a +30.8 offensive GVT, a +15.1 defensive GVT, a -21.5 goaltending GVT, for a +24.4 total GVT. Therefore, at even strength, Detroit was 24.4 goals better than the average team.

44What's Next for the Devils? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:56 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The RDS gang seems to think Josefson is a Devils kind of guy...hard charger, fast skater, two way player...and they are comparing him to Zetterberg.

45What's Next for the Devils? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:09 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From ESPN/AP today...the Devs hang on to an important, tough defender.

DEVILS KEEP ODUYA

NEWARK, N.J. -- The New Jersey Devils are keeping Johnny Oduya away from the free-agent market, agreeing to terms with the defenseman on a new contract.

The team said Tuesday that Oduya has agreed to a multiyear deal. The 27-year-old defenseman had career highs with seven goals, 22 assists and 29 points last season -- just his third in the NHL.

Devils president Lou Lamoriello said Oduya "has developed into one of the more talented young defensemen in the National Hockey League."

Oduya could have become an unrestricted free agent on Wednesday.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum