GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next for the Devils?

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1What's Next for the Devils? Empty What's Next for the Devils? Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:33 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

After the shocking loss to the Hurricanes in the 2009 playoffs, the question of what's next seems to start with Coach Brent Sutter. From the Newark Star-Ledger:

An undecided Brent Sutter: I need to make a decision soon about coaching the New Jersey Devils

Rich Chere/The Star-Ledger Monday June 01, 2009, 4:04 PM

Brent Sutter said on Monday he hasn't yet made up his mind about returning to coach the Devils for a third season but indicated he is getting closer to finalizing his plans.

It's June and Brent Sutter still hasn't decided whether he will be back next season to coach the Devils.

But Sutter, who was building a fence back in Red Deer, Alberta, when I spoke to him on Monday, said he understands he must make a decision soon rather than sit on that fence.

"I know I need to make a decision at some point in time and I know I have to make it soon," Sutter said via telephone.

He said he is somewhat surprised that people are anxious to hear his decision.

"My obligation is to the Devils to make my decision when it's the right time," Sutter said. "I'm sure people are anxious to know. But I can't worry about any of that. I have to take more time and make the right decision."

Devils captain Jamie Langenbrunner said he has not spoken to Sutter since the team was ousted from the playoffs. But Langenbrunner said the delay in coming to a decision makes him wonder if Sutter will be back.

"I guess the longer it goes, the more doubt is in my mind," Langenbrunner told me. "Who knows? I'm sure he'll make the right decision for him. I want him to do what is best for him. Obviously for me, he's put me into a position of leadership on this team. He's given me the opportunity to succeed. I've enjoyed playing for him. I don't want to see him leave. But that's for him."

General manager Lou Lamoriello said there is no rush for Sutter to make his decision. There is one season remaining on his contract.

"Lou and Mr. Vanderbeek have been outstanding through it all," Sutter said. "They totally understand. They know the situation and they know what was talked about going into it. That is all part of discussions and all part of negotiations even when I first started."

Lamoriello told me on Monday that the holdup with Sutter is not related to any negotiating over a contract extension beyond the one remaining year. He said Sutter is simply trying to decide whether he wants to stay in Red Deer or come back to the Devils for the final season on his contract.

"There is nothing here other than his situation with his family," Lamoriello stressed. "There are no contract negotiations. None of that. That I can assure you 100 percent."

Sutter said he has discussed the matter with his family, including his wife, son and daughter. Still, no decision has been made.

"I've just been working on the ranch and in the office here. There is nothing imminent yet," he said.

---

So what's next for the Devils? Lots of questions, starting with the man who may or may not be back behind the bench next year.

Last edited by davetherave on Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

2What's Next for the Devils? Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:46 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'll tell you one thing, I won't be in a rush to pick them to win the East like I was last year.

This team is a good unit, but they might be a great number one D-man away from doing anything of consequence. And I like Martin and Oduya, but they need a...well they need a Scott Neidermayer or a Chris Pronger to be perfectly honest.

3What's Next for the Devils? Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:53 pm

I wonder if they will try and lure J Bo to NJ... that would be an absolutly perfect fit.

4What's Next for the Devils? Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:58 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:I wonder if they will try and lure J Bo to NJ... that would be an absolutly perfect fit.

Oh, they're gonna try alright. 7 X 7 coming his way from Lou.

But they have to be aware of Parise's next contract and Zajac's RFA this summer.

I still think they might be the front runner for J-Bo to be honest.

5What's Next for the Devils? Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:10 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Brent Sutter as a player:

What's Next for the Devils? 46945410

Brent Sutter as a coach:

What's Next for the Devils? Brent_10

6What's Next for the Devils? Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:09 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That guy is both adorable and repugnant - if that makes any sense.

7What's Next for the Devils? Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:15 pm

Do they need a goalie?

8What's Next for the Devils? Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:38 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:Do they need a goalie?

Indeed they do. You wanna send Auld over that way?

9What's Next for the Devils? Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:40 pm

504Heater wrote:

Auld isn't good enough to be a starter.

10What's Next for the Devils? Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:15 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:
504Heater wrote:

They have Clemmensen as a backup for Brodeur until Scotty decides otherwise.

11What's Next for the Devils? Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:59 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
504Heater wrote:

They have Clemmensen as a backup for Brodeur until Scotty decides otherwise.

Clemmer is a UFA this July 1. With the kind of season he had, my guess is he can do better than $800K and the role of second pony to Brodeur. A team desperate for goaltending will take a shot on him.

12What's Next for the Devils? Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:55 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Are we talking about the Devils? They need a solid backup, Clemmenson is going to get a starting job (and he deserves it) in Colorado most likely. He won't want to play second fiddle to Brodeur. So which goalie is best suited to start 25-30 games as Marty's backup? There are a few, but none better IMO that Alex Auld.

13What's Next for the Devils? Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:52 pm

504Heater wrote:

Are we talking about the Devils? They need a solid backup, Clemmenson is going to get a starting job (and he deserves it) in Colorado most likely. He won't want to play second fiddle to Brodeur. So which goalie is best suited to start 25-30 games as Marty's backup? There are a few, but none better IMO that Alex Auld.

Who knows if Brods is still good enough to be a starter.

14What's Next for the Devils? Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:59 pm

I dunno about Clemmenson being a starter... He played well for a stretch but they brought him back in The Devils organization because he fits. I think he gets resigned and plays 20 plus games this year while Brodeur gets a little more nights off as he is getting towards the end of his career.

15What's Next for the Devils? Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:06 pm

Neely4Life wrote:I dunno about Clemmenson being a starter... He played well for a stretch but they brought him back in The Devils organization because he fits. I think he gets resigned and plays 20 plus games this year while Brodeur gets a little more nights off as he is getting towards the end of his career.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum