GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next for the Devils?

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16What's Next for the Devils? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:52 pm

504Heater wrote:
The Guy With The Mustache wrote:
Auld isn't good enough to be a starter.

Are we talking about the Devils? They need a solid backup, Clemmenson is going to get a starting job (and he deserves it) in Colorado most likely. He won't want to play second fiddle to Brodeur. So which goalie is best suited to start 25-30 games as Marty's backup? There are a few, but none better IMO that Alex Auld.

Who knows if Brods is still good enough to be a starter.

17What's Next for the Devils? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:59 pm

I dunno about Clemmenson being a starter... He played well for a stretch but they brought him back in The Devils organization because he fits. I think he gets resigned and plays 20 plus games this year while Brodeur gets a little more nights off as he is getting towards the end of his career.

18What's Next for the Devils? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:06 pm

Neely4Life wrote:I dunno about Clemmenson being a starter... He played well for a stretch but they brought him back in The Devils organization because he fits. I think he gets resigned and plays 20 plus games this year while Brodeur gets a little more nights off as he is getting towards the end of his career.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

19What's Next for the Devils? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:42 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:I dunno about Clemmenson being a starter... He played well for a stretch but they brought him back in The Devils organization because he fits. I think he gets resigned and plays 20 plus games this year while Brodeur gets a little more nights off as he is getting towards the end of his career.

I don't think he's a starter, either. But that doesn't mean that he (and his agent) thinks that, based on last year's numbers, he could and should be paid like one, and that some team desperate for goaltending won't agree.

I'm guessing someone will pay for him, in a deal something like Dan Ellis's.

20What's Next for the Devils? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:48 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:

I don't think he's a starter, either. But that doesn't mean that he (and his agent) thinks that, based on last year's numbers, he could and should be paid like one, and that some team desperate for goaltending won't agree.

Rooney, who are those teams who would throw #1/1a goalie money at Clemmensen, in your view?

21What's Next for the Devils? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:58 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Rooney, who are those teams who would throw #1/1a goalie money at Clemmensen, in your view?

Didn't say 1/1a money -- said Dan Ellis (or maybe Mike Smith) money, i.e., about $2 mil. Big difference.

Anyway, off the top of my head, and in no particular order...

Atlanta (should they move Lehtonen)
Colorado
Edmonton
LA
Philly (I could honestly see them jettisoning both Biron and Nittymaki)
Toronto
Washington

Plus, I think there are a lot of teams who could use a good, 1+ mil back-up:

Dallas
Detroit
Calgary
Tampa Bay
Phoenix
NYI
St. Louis

... man, is it just me, are there only, like, 15 teams set in goal, with everyone else stuck with 1/2-assed solutions and plugs...?

22What's Next for the Devils? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:44 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Rooney, I didn't suggest YOU were saying teams would throw #1 money at Clemmer...but that DOES appears to have been suggested by some on this thread.
Your choices of teams are interesting.

But why wouldn't Clemmensen re-sign with the Devils--a winning team--to go instead to a backmarker?

Don't forget, he just left the Leafs organization. Why would he go back?

Doesn't he have a better chance to continue to develop--and win--as Brodeur's understudy?

It isn't JUST about the money for some players.

23What's Next for the Devils? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:14 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:Rooney, I didn't suggest YOU were saying teams would throw #1 money at Clemmer...but that DOES appears to have been suggested by some on this thread.
Your choices of teams are interesting.

But why wouldn't Clemmensen re-sign with the Devils--a winning team--to go instead to a backmarker?

Don't forget, he just left the Leafs organization. Why would he go back?

Doesn't he have a better chance to continue to develop--and win--as Brodeur's understudy?

It isn't JUST about the money for some players.

Oh, that's possible, I admit -- but I'd expect him to get paid $1+ mil, and to be give 20-25 games in the year. Such a signing (as someone's already said, I think) would have to part of a pre-arrangement that would see Clemmer spotting Brodeur off on a more regular basis.

You do have to think about Clemmer's point of view in all this, tho', career-wise. His stock has never been higher; he may never perform better, or he might get injured and his career come to an end. If he's feeling at all prudent -- and I'm sure his agent is pushing him this way -- he'll go for the deal that pays him well and secures him a spot in the NHL for a few years to come. The superstars don't have to worry about this stuff, but fringe guys like Clemmer sure do. Remaining with NJ or taking the $1 mil / 2 year deal to be the steady backup for another team wouldn't surprise me, but I think that he goes for the Dan Ellis- or Mike Smith-like opportunity if it arises -- which, in this salary-cap crunched era with teams desperate for cheap goaltending, I can definitely see happening.

24What's Next for the Devils? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:14 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Rooney, all good points.

But given Lamoriello's history of wanting to keep his valued players close to the Devils--even to the point of bringing many of them back into the fold (Holik, Shanahan, Rolston)--would it not make sense for Clemmer to be re-signed in NJ?

Lou could give him a deal that would scale upward over a three to four year period--or more--with incentives and bonuses.

This could be pro-rated depending on the number of games Scott plays/wins (including playoffs) and allow a smooth succession/transition from Brodeur to Clemmensen as number one.

That would be a safer and more secure bet for Scott than trying his luck with a lesser team.

25What's Next for the Devils? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:58 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:Rooney, all good points.

But given Lamoriello's history of wanting to keep his valued players close to the Devils--even to the point of bringing many of them back into the fold (Holik, Shanahan, Rolston)--would it not make sense for Clemmer to be re-signed in NJ?

Lou could give him a deal that would scale upward over a three to four year period--or more--with incentives and bonuses.

This could be pro-rated depending on the number of games Scott plays/wins (including playoffs) and allow a smooth succession/transition from Brodeur to Clemmensen as number one.

That would be a safer and more secure bet for Scott than trying his luck with a lesser team.

I see your point, but then again, Lam did let Clemmer go once already... but the fact that they didn't trade him last February, when his stock was at an all time high, does say something, too.

Tough call. Given his life on the margins so far and his precarious place in the NHL altogether, however, it strikes me that money and term will be the prime factor in Clemmer's decision. And given his performance this year, it also strikes me that some team desperate for goaltending might offer him more money than Lam would be willing to pay for a backup, again, in the Ellis or Smith range.

26What's Next for the Devils? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:30 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Rooney, again, to your point about Lou letting Clemmensen leave, the modus vivendi is already established in Jersey...Holik, Shanny and Rolston all headed off to greener pastures only to return to the fold.

Lou can give Scotty $2MM if that's what it takes...but I can foresee a more complex long term arrangement structured by the Devils, including bonuses for number of games played and won.

The situation may be analogous to the Kiprusoff-McElhinney relationship in CGY. Sutter just re-upped The Mac with a healthy bump and a promise of more ice.

A similar scenario is eminently credible for the Clemmer and LouLam, is it not?

In other words...better the Devils you know, than the devils you don't?

27What's Next for the Devils? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:31 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Changes coming to the Devils may include. some speculate, the departure of veteran players. This from The New York Post:

MADDEN IN DEVILS' LIMBO

Mark Everson, NYPOST.COM, June 3 2009

Less than a month from unrestricted free agency, Devils center John Madden told The Post there has been "zero, nada," discussion with New Jersey on a new contract.

The four-time Selke Trophy nominee and 2001 winner said he is not discouraged by the inaction.

"I don't think that's a problem. There are a lot of decisions being made internally before the unrestricted free agents and restricted free agents start getting signed," Madden said.

Madden's role diminished last season under coach Brent Sutter, who often used Dainius Zubrus' line, with
Patrik Elias and Brian Gionta, against their foes' best. In the playoffs, however, Madden again was given checking duty, with significant success.

Madden, 36, said his decision on signing for a 10th season with the Devils will not be affected by Sutter's still-pending decision on returning for a third season behind the Devils bench.

mark.everson@nypost.com

28What's Next for the Devils? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:37 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:Rooney, again, to your point about Lou letting Clemmensen leave, the modus vivendi is already established in Jersey...Holik, Shanny and Rolston all headed off to greener pastures only to return to the fold.

Lou can give Scotty $2MM if that's what it takes...but I can foresee a more complex long term arrangement structured by the Devils, including bonuses for number of games played and won.

The situation may be analogous to the Kiprusoff-McElhinney relationship in CGY. Sutter just re-upped The Mac with a healthy bump and a promise of more ice.

Sure, if the Devils offer him a favourable term -- i.e., a 1-way, multi-year deal -- I don't see why he wouldn't take it. Clemmer's biggest concern, after all, has to be to make sure that, after last year's success, he secures himself a few more years in the NHL, at the very least. I'd think he'd sign with anyone who meets that demand.

If he has an itching to see if any team out there with goaltending issues is willing to give him a shot at the #1 position, tho', I'd think that he'd at least wait until July 2 to sign any deals with the Devils. Couldn't blame him for that, either -- every goalie wants to be the #1 guy.

29What's Next for the Devils? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:44 am

davetherave wrote:Rooney, again, to your point about Lou letting Clemmensen leave, the modus vivendi is already established in Jersey...Holik, Shanny and Rolston all headed off to greener pastures only to return to the fold.

Bonuses are not allowed in the CBA other than for entry level contracts and players over 35.

30What's Next for the Devils? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:52 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Niedermayer (assuming he is the "Scotty" in question) is turning 36 this August.

31What's Next for the Devils? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:20 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Niedermayer (assuming he is the "Scotty" in question) is turning 36 this August.

They're talking about Clemenson (sp).

- Unknown Author

32What's Next for the Devils? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:36 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:Niedermayer (assuming he is the "Scotty" in question) is turning 36 this August.

$2M plus incentives? Oofs, that's a little steep, no?

33What's Next for the Devils? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for the Devils? Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:40 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

$2M plus incentives? Oofs, that's a little steep, no?

I agree. Unless Clemmer is comfortable as Brodeur's backup for the rest of his career then he's got to want a shot at being number 1 right? I suppose there could be worse gigs. He could still have a shot at a ring or two more if he stays in New Jersey.

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum