GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jacques Martin to be named coach of the Habs

+7
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
wprager
PTFlea
jamvan
davetherave
shabbs
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SensGirl11 wrote:I just don't get this either...good luck with that!

More sadness for Habs fans on the way.

This defence only system just doesn't work in this New NHL anymore...Jacques Martin is yesterday's news. Not the choice I would've made at all. If he didn't last as coach in Florida, how the hell is he going to survive in the Habs Market????

I think the fans might be happy now (not sure why) but they will drive him right out of town by mid-season for sure. (I think it'll be sooner than that)

but it's their 100th season part deux, they can only be confident of better things to come right? Their problem still lies between the pipes and in the bleu, blanc and rouge numero vingt sept.

this is a better scenrio, I really thought they would hire carbo back, or maybe give Roy a chance. That's good though, i didn't really wanto see Roy back there ...

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:
davetherave wrote:Excellent choice for Jacques Martin, and for Le Canadien.

...for Le Canadien's opponents. corrected.

If you're a Senators fan, why do you hate Jacques Martin so much when he got your team to the playoffs eight years in a row?
:KJK:

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

HowieMorenz wrote:this is a better scenrio, I really thought they would hire carbo back, or maybe give Roy a chance. That's good though, i didn't really wanto see Roy back there ...
it hink Roy wants no part of that circus anyways.

i don't believe jaques martin is out of touch with the NHL of today. i think he can bring in some responsibility within the defencive corps and still let the habs lead a steady attack. now i just don't think Gaborik will be a habs anytime soon...

so is lemaire and tremblay a rumour or for real? lemaire not such a good idea and tremblay could be ran out of town. they need some an offence minded assistant coach to counter-balance now.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

If you're a Senators fan, why do you hate Jacques Martin so much when he got your team to the playoffs eight years in a row?

His coaching style never got us to the holy grail, and yeah, you can argue that no one else's has either, but that many years of losing to the Leafs and not one change in approach, it was utter frustration, the trap don't work anymore in the playoffs, he misjudged talent and held players back (ie Spezza), it was a bitter divorce between the Sens and Martin.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

He couldn't get us to that next level, or get us to beat those pesky Leafs in the post season.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
davetherave wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

He couldn't get us to that next level, or get us to beat those pesky Leafs in the post season.

looks like the genius' thought alike, or did the fools seldom differ? Laughing3 meh either way :^^^^:

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

hum.. we did make it to the eastern finals against jersey (and it went to game 7 in the final minutes... ndamn you scott stevens)

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensFan71 wrote:
shabbs wrote:
davetherave wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

looks like the genius' thought alike, or did the fools seldom differ? Laughing3 meh either way :^^^^:
Heh heh. Maybe... I do think that holding Spezza back was good for Spezza in the long run though. Another case of not rushing in.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
shabbs wrote:
davetherave wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

Heh heh. Maybe... I do think that holding Spezza back was good for Spezza in the long run though. Another case of not rushing in.

meh I would always argue that one though, Martin never let Spezza spread his wings, so he never realized his true potential until post-Martin, that was my take on it anyway.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Has Trembley and Lemaire not been formally announced yet? I had heard it was a done deal when I wrote it in there.

I'll take a look.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

No confirmation on Tremblay or Lemaire, so for all anyone knows right now, it could be the media machine trying to print more papers. Lemaire sounds like a pipe dream anyway, it would be good for the Habs - better than just having Martin, but...I dunno....I'm still not really understanding this.

Shrug

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

Several others touched on the reasons, but it ultimately comes down to lack of flexibility.

He demonstrated a talent for developing some players (I am one who agrees with his decision to keep Spezza down, and in fact I now wonder if he would have benefited from starting in a more defensive role). He also demonstrated that he could command the attention and respect of most, if not all, of the more established players - at least for the first several years of his tenure.

What he didn't do was change his system(s) when it was clear that it wasn't working:

• He didn't do a lot of line juggling and loading in any of the series where Ottawa was being upset or simply over-run by (usually) lesser teams - the exception may be when Spezza was brought in, however I'm not sure that it was his doing, or even with his approval.
  • He didn't change his defensively-focused system as it became clear that the talent of the Senators was heavily weighted in favour of a more offensive style (this is the same issue that Hartsburgh ran into).
  • When the time came for Spezza to take his place on the first line, he didn't prepare him to also be a leader on the team.
These are glaring omissions, in my opinion, because they had impact on the franchise for years after he left (particularly the last one).

Florida had several young players, none of which seemed to have been developed properly, nor were any set up to be future leaders of the team. Montreal is a young team, and in an impressionable point in their own development. After failing to implement a successful long-term strategy in either city he has been in, what are the odds that he will be able to do it in a city that is accelerating downhill?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I said it before and I'll say it again. Martin had favorites and held grudges. He was inflexible in both his outlook on players and in his coaching style. He repeatedly lost to the Leafs in the post-season and made no adjustments. You can pin part of that on Muckler because the team had no team toughness. However some of that surely had to come from Martin and his game plan.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sportsnet's Hockeycentral Playoff Edition had some interesting comments regarding Jacques' tenure in Ottawa last night. His stats are quite impressive with over 100 wins over .500 with the Sens.

He had some offensive stars in Hossa, Alfredsson, Havlat, Redden who all had career years and scored a ton of goals. The issue was basically goaltending in the playoffs.

They suggested that his system made Phillips and Redden look better than they really were, same for Lalime. The defensive minded system made him appear better than he was and the playoffs exposed the team's short comings where his system did not work.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:If you're a Senators fan, why do you hate Jacques Martin so much when he got your team to the playoffs eight years in a row?

I don't hate Martin personally, but he had the teams to win at least one Cup and couldn't get them over the hump. Lalime? Yeah, not Patrick Roy, but I think he had some of the best numbers in history at the time.

41 games, 21 wins, 20 losses, .926 save %, 1.77 GAA.

That means that Lalime got it done, but the rest of the team couldn't score. For what reason? Who knows, but at some point in those 6 or 7 years, you point the finger at the coaching staff as well as Lalime and the players.

This man cannot win in the post season. No one knows why, but it's the truth. If he had a chance, he got outcoached.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I love some of the headlines coming out:

"Dull and Duller"

"Yawn of a new era"

Too funny.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:I love some of the headlines coming out:

"Dull and Duller"

"Yawn of a new era"

Too funny.

:^^^^: We should have a GMCentral Game where we have to take a shot every time Martin says 'No doubt..." in a presser.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum