GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next for the Kings?

+12
Riprock
LeCaptain
caissie_1
PKC
beedub
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
rooneypoo
asq2
PTFlea
davetherave
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

31What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Kings? Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:41 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

From TSN.ca, confirmed by MaxHockey.com, this afternoon:

The Los Angeles Kings made their first dip into the free agent market on Thursday, signing defenceman Rob Scuderi to a four-year, $13.6 million contract.

Scuderi, 30, tallied 16 points in 81 games with the Pittsburgh Penguins last season and helped lead the club to a Stanley Cup victory over the Detroit Red Wings last month.

In 300 career NHL games with Pittsburgh, the veteran blueliner has 39 points and 112 penalty minutes.

32What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Kings? Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:15 pm

beedub

Veteran
Veteran

I'd give up a testicle if LA would offer that deal for heatley

33What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Kings? Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:17 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

The Kings have been pretty surprisingly quiet. They still need help offensively.

I'd make a pitch for Tanguay.

34What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Kings? Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:18 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:Brayden Schenn is being compared by the RDS crew to Brian Trottier...if that's the case the Kings may very well return to royalty in the NHL.

Keep in mind that these are comparisons of style, not of calibre.

35What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Kings? Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:45 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:Brayden Schenn is being compared by the RDS crew to Brian Trottier...if that's the case the Kings may very well return to royalty in the NHL.

ASQ>what's your opinion of Brayden Schenn?

36What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Kings? Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:27 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Rich Hammond of the Los Angeles Times provides this interview with Ryan Smyth.

INSIDE THE KINGS: RYAN SMYTH INTERVIEW
Rich Hammond, InsideSoCal/LA Times, July 4, 2009 12:12 PM PT

Here's the Q&A I did a few minutes ago with new Kings winger Ryan Smyth. He's scheduled to come to Los Angeles this week and have his physical exam on Monday...
-----
Question: Athletes never seem to be completely surprised by a trade, but did you see this coming at all?

SMYTH: "Well, with having the no-movement clause, I knew something was going on when they came to me and asked if I would be willing to drop my no-trade clause to come to L.A. So I had some time to think about it and talk about it with my wife and my family. It was tough because Colorado is a great place. There are four major sports teams, four seasons and a great organization, a winning organization.

"Mr. (Stan) Kroenke has done very well and been very successful over the years. To pull me in a couple years ago was pretty special, so it was tough leaving here but I'm really excited. The excitement of Dean Lombardi and Ron Hextall and some of the players I've known over the years, it's been awesome to hear and I'm just overwhelmed and honored to be a King.''

Question: You talked about some of the discussion with your family. What were some of the factors you weighed?

SMYTH: "Obviously we have a beautiful home in Colorado, so we had to weigh the factors of all that stuff, and moving. Then you look at the hockey front. (The Avalanche) came to me and said they wanted to rebuild, and money was an issue, and obviously that goes hand in hand with my issue and my contract. It was mutual at the end of the day, and I have nothing but great things to say about Colorado.''

Question: Playing in Colorado, you've had a chance to get a decent look at the Kings. What are your impressions?

SMYTH: "Watching these young kids play, and to see the energy and excitement and the direction the organization is going in, there's nothing but upside. I'm honored to be a part of it and I hope I can contribute a lot.''

Question: Any particular Kings players jump out at you?

SMYTH: "Quite a few. Over the years, playing for my country, I got a chance to see Kopitar before anybody really knew who he was. I remember lining up against him at the faceoff circle and seeing how dominant and powerful he was. He has tremendous upside. I just know he's a pretty exciting player to watch.

"Obviously, Stoll, because I got a chance to play with him in Edmonton. Drew Doughty is a tremendous hockey player. For a young player to come in and do what he did, that was tremendous. Like I said, I'm just really excited by the upside that's there.''

Question: Given your experiences, what do you think you can bring to this team, and what do these young guys need to know about winning?

SMYTH: "I want to bring my experience. I don't want to change my game. I'm a guy who goes to the net hard. It's important to just play at both ends of the rink and have the determination to win. It's a fine line around the league, between winning and losing, because the parity around the league is so tight. Whether it's a mental edge in the locker room or something you do on the bench, you have to be prepared.''

Question: Largely because of the way you play, you've opened yourself up to injury risk over the years. How do you feel now? And was it frustrating at all in the last couple years?

SMYTH: "I feel real healthy. Other than a few injuries that I've had over the years, things have been good and I feel up to par right now and I'm itching to go. As far as how things went, we had a lot of injuries and it's tough to compete with all the injuries. It seemed like we were never all healthy at once.''

Those who want even more Ryan Smyth quotes can read an interview on the Kings' website. (click for link)

37What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Kings? Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:47 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The G&M's hockey dean, Eric Duhatschek, dices with Dean Lombardi; and dangles his deductions on the Kings' climb back towards competing for the crown.

KINGS MAKING THEIR MOVE
Eric Duhatschek, The Toronto Globe & Mail, July 9, 2009

For a team that has gone 44 years without a championship, the Los Angeles Kings are a fascinating study on so many levels. In their history, they've made just one trip to the Stanley Cup final (1993) and may have even won the thing if Marty McSorley hadn't been caught using an illegal stick, right at the point that they were about to take a 2-0 lead, on the road, against the Montreal Canadiens.

It's been mostly downhill for the 15 seasons since – 11 years out of the playoffs, three first-round exits, plus one memorable upset win over a 111-point Detroit Red Wings in 2001, with coach Andy Murray behind the bench.

One of the NHL's biggest issues during that down turn was how weak its teams were in the three major U.S. markets – New York, Chicago and Los Angeles. The iffy results in Boston, another attractive Original Six market, weren't great either.

But the Rangers have been OK for a few years now; the Bruins soared to the top of the Eastern Conference last year; and the Blackhawks possess one of the best young teams in the game.

So now it is just left for the Kings to execute their turnaround in the standings, a painfully slow process that some thought would be expedited this July in the unrestricted free-agent market. It didn't happen, but not for lack of trying.

The Kings ended up with one strategic signing – defenceman Rob Scuderi, off the reigning Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins – and one addition made via trade, acquiring former Oilers winger Ryan Smyth from the rebuilding Colorado Avalanche.

The Kings had been linked to the Ottawa Senators in a possible trade for Dany Heatley, but assistant GM Ron Hextall put an abrupt end to that talk during a recent season-ticket holder forum, noted that Heatley came with too many red flags for their liking.

Smyth, a left winger with a less impressive resume, but also less perceived baggage, became a more attractive second choice.

On the surface, it looked as if the Kings took on a fairly hefty contract with Smyth because of his annual $6.25-million (all currency U.S.) salary-cap charge.

However, a closer look shows it's not as bad as it may appear. For starters, the Avalanche took back from Los Angeles a player, Tom Preissing, who was earning NHL money ($2.75-million for two more years) in the minor leagues.

Kyle Quincey, the other player surrendered in the deal, was a decent contributor last year for the Kings, but he was acquired on the waiver wire from Detroit, so they didn't invest a lot of time or effort in his development.

Moreover, Smyth's original contract with Colorado was front-loaded, so the most expensive two years (one at $7.5-million, one at $7.25-million) have already clicked off the contract. What's left are the final three years at $6.5, $5.5 and $4.5-million.

It's not a great cap number ($6.25-million overall), but for a team such as the Kings, with cap room to spare, it's not as big an issue as it might be elsewhere in the NHL. They are still $7.25-million under the 2009-10 salary cap, with 20 players signed for next year.

In terms of cash out of the owners' pocket, the Smyth contract – minus what they were paying Preissing in the minors – is just about right for a player who scored 59 points in 77 games last season and meets the organization's primary requirement for depth at left wing.

Financially, the Kings would still be in a position to revisit a Heatley deal if they so desired, but according to general manager Dean Lombardi, they chose to go in a different direction with Smyth.

“The contract is good, but that's not the reason we did it,” said Lombardi, of the trade he completed last weekend,just ahead of the July 4 holiday in the United States and thus received minimal notoriety or attention.

“No. 1, (Smyth) is a heart-and-soul guy. We started down this path of building with youth and one of the quickest ways of getting off track is by trading your draft picks or trading young players or bringing in the wrong kinds of guys that don't stand for what you believe in.”

Lombardi acknowledged that when the Red Wings' Marian Hossa unexpectedly became available on the free-agent market, he soared to the top of the Kings' wish list.

“Our free-agent list was very limited. We were interested in Hossa, but realized we were out of that early. Mike Knuble was our next guy – he plays hard, he's a no-nonsense guy. As far as (Martin) Havlat and (Marian) Gaborik, the only thing we were interested in with them were one-year deals. And that was it. Then we were down to third-line guys and we were waiting.

“The thing is too, clearly left wing was our biggest hole. We still have holes in the middle, but we just could not – Hexy and I, as much as you're tempted and you're frustrated and you get hammered in blogs for not doing anything – we said, ‘nope, we're sticking with our convictions.' Fortunately, Ryan came around. The cap hit is high, but the cash made sense for us.

“The bottom line is, he's a heart-and-soul guy, plays the game the right way, goes to the blue (goal crease). He's not a highlight film, but he gets it done. So that's it.”

Last year, three of the Western Conference's long-time also-rans saw their rebuilding programs pay off when the Chicago Blackhawks, St. Louis Blues and Columbus Blue Jackets all made the playoffs after lengthy absences.

The Kings fell 12 points short of the 91 needed to qualify for the playoffs in the West. Still, their goaltending seemed to settle down with Jonathan Quick and Erik Ersberg, two youngsters, sharing the load. And highly regarded Jonathan Bernier, a former first-round draft choice, is waiting in the wings. Under coach Terry Murray, the Kings were vastly improved defensively, finishing a respectable 11th overall.

In addition to Smyth, they also brought in Justin Williams at last year's trading deadline, a key member of the 2006 Carolina Hurricanes championship team who has had injury issues these past couple of years. Murray and Williams have a history together from their Philadelphia Flyers' days. The belief is that Smyth and Williams will provide the veteran stability, and a little added offence, to help the Kings' youthful core mature and improve. But when might that happen?

“I've said this before,” answered Lombardi. “Regardless of our additions, it's not going to matter unless (Anze) Kopitar gets better; unless (Drew) Doughty gets better. (Wayne) Simmons has to get better. The kids within our system, unless those seven or eight key young players come back here in the summer and make themselves better, and then take another step next year, we're just spinning our wheels.

“That is first and foremost. It started last year. It's their team, so to speak, but it's not their team until they show me that they're willing to become the best they can be. And Kopitar is a huge issue. He has not been in shape yet his entire career. And that's normal. As we all know, so many top players have gone through this and they've got by on their ability. They don't realize there's another step they need to take to become great.

“Dustin Brown, for the first time, did it last year. Now, it's Kopitar's turn. And Doughty, last year, because he had to lose so much weight, was nowhere near a finely conditioned athlete. Jack Johnson – a whole slew of them have a lot to learn internally.

“For all the splash, or who you're adding (as free agents), the most important thing is that the kids get better. Then, it becomes important to add the right people – a Ryan Smyth, a Justin Williams, a character guy like Scuderi – and staying with the theme that we're not going for the sex, we're going for the meat.”

38What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Kings? Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:39 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

this team will be a playoff team very quickly here with the talent they are assembling, how Smyth helps with that, well, that remains to be seen, but they have a lot of young talent that has a lot to prove.

39What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Kings? Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:07 am

I beg to differ, this team hasnt done anything to put themselves above the better teams in The West. Right now, they are, at best, the 4th best team in their division let alone in the conferance. Calgary got better, Chicago got better, Columbus is going to be right there for year and it looks like St Louis will be too... Vancouver will always be in the picture with Luongo.

LA is nothing more than a team full of tallent that has no chance to grow because their GM refuses to make the moves needed to actually get over the playoff hump. A lot of nice peices but still way too young, way too inexpierenced, way too timid in LA.

40What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Kings? Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:31 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:I beg to differ, this team hasnt done anything to put themselves above the better teams in The West. Right now, they are, at best, the 4th best team in their division let alone in the conferance. Calgary got better, Chicago got better, Columbus is going to be right there for year and it looks like St Louis will be too... Vancouver will always be in the picture with Luongo.

LA is nothing more than a team full of tallent that has no chance to grow because their GM refuses to make the moves needed to actually get over the playoff hump. A lot of nice peices but still way too young, way too inexpierenced, way too timid in LA.

Bang on Neely. And you didn't even mention the teams like Detroit, San Jose, and Anaheim. That's seven teams right there who will almost all be guaranteed a playoff spot this year with Edmonton, Nashville, Minnesota and Dallas trying to squeeze into the last two playoff spots.

It looks really bleak for LA. Their youth is nice and all, but at some point, you need guys who have proven they can produce at a high, high level to take you over the top and beat out the ridiculously tough teams in your conference for a playoff spot. In that regard (Tom Preissing, Michael Handzus, Denis Gauthier) Lombardi has failed miserably. He's done a hell of a job stockpiling talent though...not that it's that hard when you get a lottery pick every year for the last 8 years or so.

41What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Kings? Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:46 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Anyone glancing at the standings this morning will notice that the LA Kings are now at the top of the WEstern conference, and one point off the Capitals for tops in the League.

Here's why:

Kid just turned 20 on December 8th.

Last edited by asq2 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

42What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Kings? Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:51 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

I glanced at the standings to see if the sens had moved up to 6th wich they did and bammm i see LA on top I was stunned lol...

43What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Kings? Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:52 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Little typo on the Eastern conference What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Icon_wink .

Kid just turned 20 eh? kid might get 10 Norris Trophy in his career.

44What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Kings? Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:58 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:Little typo on the Eastern conference What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Icon_wink .

Kid just turned 20 eh? kid might get 10 Norris Trophy in his career.

Whoops. What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 270956

I think there are definitely a few Norrises in his future. I don't know about 10, but certainly a number of them. Erik Johnson is going to be a pretty fierce competitor. We'll see how guys like Hedman, Bogosian, Fowler and Adam Larsson turn out (not to mention Karlsson, Cowen and Wiercioch What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 159628 [sort of]). Myers is having a great season for Buffalo, too.

I think Doughty may already be the least forecheck-able defenceman in the league. I'm definitely going to say the future's not to bleak for the LA Kings right now. Hard to believe they've got Schenn, Teubert, Hickey and Bernier waiting in the system.

45What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Kings? Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:00 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Doughty, Bogosian, Weber are the three that will be fighting for Norrises for the rest of their careers.

Hopefully Cowen is there as well. Maybe EJ.

46What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Kings? Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:01 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
asq2 wrote:

ASQ>what's your opinion of Brayden Schenn?

Terrific leader, good skill (excellent play-maker), very physical, reliable all-around. Sort of a Mike Richards type of guy with less scoring and more passing. Not the best skater, but he's built for playoff hockey. He and Dustin Brown have the potential to comprise part of what is basically an ideal second-line for the post-season. Anze Kopitar at 6'4" isn't exactly going to be easy to shut down in the playoffs either.

Chicago, LA and St. Louis are the future (and present, to a certain extent) of the Western Conference IMO.

47What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Kings? Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:04 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Doughty, Bogosian, Weber are the three that will be fighting for Norrises for the rest of their careers.

Hopefully Cowen is there as well. Maybe EJ.

I think the list is bigger than that. Heck, Duncan Keith is only 26.

Maybe EJ? What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Suspect He might be my pick of the whole group.

48What's Next for the Kings? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Next for the Kings? Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:05 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

EJ and Drew Doughty are the best skaters, passers in the bunch IMO. Don;t underestimate EJ, he's amazing, leading his team in points and the only + player in the top 10 of the team. Myers and Bogosian are a little different, Weber is probably the best at the moment but he's also the oldest and more experienced.
Cowen could be amazing but he SHOULD NOT be rushed.

But I still think Karlsson without the mistakes, bigger and with more experience should be included in the group.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum