GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next For Les Canadiens?

+16
caissie_1
Tuk Tuk
PKC
beedub
Jordo
wprager
shabbs
Mariposa Belle
asq2
LeCaptain
SensFan71
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Cronie
Cap'n Clutch
davetherave
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 14]

181What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 13 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:35 am

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

"Habs Inside Out" columnist Dave Stubbs provides his perspective on the dramatic changes in Montreal.

GAINEY'S PLAN COMING TOGETHER
Dave Stubbs, The Montreal Gazette, July 10, 2009

Let's hope Canadiens general manager Bob Gainey has a few dollars left in the kitty. It's going to cost him a small fortune to buy nameplate letters for the uniforms of all his new players.

Gainey yesterday signed unrestricted free-agent defenceman Paul Mara, most recently of the New York Rangers, to a one-year deal estimated at $1.9 million U.S.

Then a few hours later he put the name of rugged San Jose Sharks winger Travis Moen on a three-year contract reported to be worth $4.5 million.

Both players said last evening they chose Montreal because they see the revamped Canadiens as an opportunity to challenge for the Stanley Cup.

The Mara signing satisfies Gainey's desire to add one more body to his blueline corps. It also seems likely to spell the end of the Montreal careers of veterans Francis Bouillon and Mathieu Dandenault.

The addition of UFA Moen, for two years a Kelowna Rockets major-junior teammate of Habs defenceman Josh Gorges, gives the team size and attitude up front.

Moen was the seventh player acquired by Gainey in the past 11 days. Before yesterday, the GM's postseason shopping had included three high-profile forwards ­ Scott Gomez, acquired in a trade with the Rangers, as well as UFAs Mike Cammalleri and Brian Gionta - and UFA defencemen Jaroslav Spacek and Hal Gill.
Gainey signed not a single of his own 10 UFAs, including captain Saku Koivu and fan favourite Alex Kovalev. Seven in and 10 out isn't changing the chemistry of the Canadiens as much as it is blowing up the laboratory.

"Paul Mara will bring size and experience to our group of defencemen," Gainey said in a release. "He can contribute to all facets of the game.

"Travis Moen is a character player," he added a few hours later of the 6-foot-2, 215-pounder. "He is versatile and he plays hard. His size and style will contribute to adding physicality to our team."

If fans were puzzled over the addition of three fleet but unintimidating forwards in Gomez, Cammalleri and Gionta, maybe they're starting to see a Gainey plan with the addition of 6-foot-7 Gill and 6-foot-4 Mara, twin towers on defence, and the crushing Moen up front.

Mara, a 212-pound 10-year NHL veteran, certainly brings size and experience to the Canadiens.

The 29-year-old native of Ridgewood, N.J., comes to his fifth NHL team, having been chosen seventh overall by the Tampa Bay Lightning in the 1997 entry draft.

He has since played for Phoenix, Boston and the Rangers, scoring 63 goals and adding 176 assists. He has 640 penalty minutes in 639 regular-season games.

Last season with the Rangers, Mara had five goals, 16 assists and 94 penalty minutes in 76 regular-season games, playing an average of 18:57 per match.
Moen, a 27-year-old native of Swift Current, Sask., finished last season with San Jose, having been traded there by Anaheim in March.

He had seven goals, nine assists and 91 penalty minutes in 2008-09, with a five-year NHL total of 29 goals, 27 assists and 487 penalty minutes through 362 games with Chicago, Anaheim and San Jose. Moen was drafted 155th overall by Calgary in 2000.

Montreal will be a homecoming of sorts for Mara, who has been a teammate of Gionta, Gomez and Gill.

"The chemistry issue both on and off the ice won't be a problem," he said last evening from his summer home in Cape Cod. "Guys they've brought in are character guys as well as quality players.

"All the guys, and I talked to Scott Gomez today, have a goal of winning the Stanley Cup. Anything short of that and we'll be disappointed."

Mara grew up in Bedford, Mass., as a loyal Bruins fan, and admitted yesterday's signing flooded his phone, email and text-messaging from that area.

"It's going to hurt their hearts," he joked of his correspondents. "But they're going to switch their allegiances to Montreal."

Playing in Canada is a dream realized for Moen, who helps out on his family's Saskatchewan farm in the summertime and even did a guest spot on the CTV comedy Corner Gas after scoring the Stanley Cup-winning goal for Anaheim in 2007.

"There's disappointment every year you don't win the Cup," he said from Calgary, his attendance at a Kenny Chesney concert bound to earn him points from country music-loving goalie Carey Price. "I'm coming to Montreal because I think there's a good chance."

Moen offers Canadiens fans this scouting report: "I'm a physical guy, finish my checks, stick up for teammates, am good defensively, do a lot of (penalty-killing) and try to chip in offensively when I can.

"There's a lot of history in Montreal and they look like they're going to have a great team again."

dstubbs@thegazette.canwest.com

182What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 13 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:56 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Mara is coming there to challenge for the Cup? And he only signed a 1-year deal? Shrug

183What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 13 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:26 am

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Mara is coming there to challenge for the Cup? And he only signed a 1-year deal? Shrug

Yeah man, big centennial year for the Habs....oh....wait....nevermind.

184What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 13 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:20 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:
wprager wrote:Mara is coming there to challenge for the Cup? And he only signed a 1-year deal? Shrug

Yeah man, big centennial year for the Habs....oh....wait....nevermind.

well this is part deux of the centennial celebration since part une didn't go so well.

Edit: won't be as good as Hot Shots Part Deux (which that wasn't good at all)

185What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 13 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:18 pm

I think the canadiens have just made the biggest clearout of any team in history ....

186What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 13 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:34 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Given the anti-Canadiens sentiment on this forum, it's not surprising that Gainey's moves have been mocked by a number of members.

Which is IMHO unfortunate, because the fact that Bob Gainey has completely re-tooled the team, from top to bottom, is actually fascinating in hockey terms.

In just a few weeks, the Habs have been deconstructed and reconstructed, and trying to visualize the 2009-10 version is a challenge for any aficionado of the sport.

Gone is the flamboyance of Kovalev, Tanguay and Lang; the controversy surrounding Koivu and his captaincy; the seemingly inevitable accession of Komisarek to the role of leader; and the hyperbole that surrounded the hundredth anniversary.

In some ways, this resembles a Gainey/Muller team of twenty or more years ago--a collection of players whose talent may not be evidently superior, but who will be expected to work their tails off, and harass the opposition in the process.

This is what Gainey expected of his former teammate Carbo--and what Coach Carbo failed to deliver in such disastrous fashion.

Given the intrisic nastiness of a Gomez, Cammalleri, Moen and Gill, the abrasive nature of the Gainey and Muller teams may be evoked. The Nilans and Corsons may not be there, but Gainey, Muller and Jacques Martin will probably remind their squad that ugly hockey--as long as you win--can be beautiful.

Interesting to see what happens when this crew takes to the ice in less than a few months...

187What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 13 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:15 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Habs' prospect camp at a glance from The Montreal Gazette:

'WE GOT A LOT OUT' OF HABS CAMP
Prospects will pack it in soon after a week of hard work learning how to make it to pros
Herb Zurkowsky, The Gazette, July 12, 2009

As another edition of the week-long Canadiens' development camp draws to a close, Trevor Timmins has only one regret - Collective Bargaining Agreement rules stipulate it can't last longer.

"We only have seven days to try and educate them and work on developing them so they have a better chance of becoming pros," the Canadiens' director of player development and recruitment said yesterday, after about 40 players participated in a scrimmage at the Bell Sports Complex.

"We get a lot out of it," added Timmins of the camp process that took full flight after Andre Savard became the team's general manager in 2001.

"You learn about their ability to learn, their commitment and work ethic on and off the ice. Their leadership and social ability." The prospects will convene this morning - without the media snooping - for the final time this summer for skating and individual meetings. Each will receive specialized programs and instructions catered to their strengths and weaknesses. Some will be monitored more closely than others, while anyone remaining in Montreal, such as Kirkland's Louis Leblanc, this year's first-round draft choice, will have access to the South Shore facility and team personnel.

Timmins said about 20 players, give or take a few, will be invited to rookie camp this September. Those playing in the U.S. collegiate ranks are prohibited from attending.

"I thought it was an excellent development week," Timmins said. "The players showed a lot of character and learning ability. Now they must keep working so they become better players when they come to training camp."

Timmins was loath to cast attention on too many of the prospects, other than singling out some of the higher-profile candidates that have become familiar to Montreal fans - defencemen P.K. Subban and Yannick Weber, and centre Ben Maxwell.

Two potential surprises, according to Timmins, were defenceman Mac Bennett, selected 79th overall last month out of Hotchkiss high school in Lakeville, Conn., and centre Dustin Walsh, the Ontario Junior Hockey League prospect who went 169th overall this year. Both players are 18 years old.

Timmins said Bennett "looks like a natural talent," adding he appeared "poised and matured." Timmins believes the 5-foot-11, 170 pounder has a bright future.

Timmins also said Walsh, 6-foot-2 and 175 pounds, shows potential, but was careful not to exude too much confidence over a scrimmage.

The head of the scouting department said the 6-foot, 178-pound Leblanc, who holds some of the franchise's future hopes, performed as expected.

"We've identified some key areas he needs to improve on," said Timmins, refusing to elaborate.

Leblanc, whose recognition on the West Island undoubtedly has skyrocketed following his popular selection 18th overall, said he has a sound foundation on which to build as he departs for his freshman year at Harvard.

"I learned from the older guys here," said Leblanc, who roomed with Subban. "I talked to the junior and college guys. I'll have to learn to improve my skill and skating. I need to get bigger, stronger, improve my shot and grow as a person."

Timmins said it will be up to prospects like Weber or Subban to play their way on or off the Canadiens' lineup at camp and throughout this fall's exhibition games.

Weber, who played three regular-season games and three more in the playoffs, likely is closer to Montreal than is Subban, who just graduated from the Belleville juniors.

But both players undoubtedly dropped down the depth chart following the signing Friday of defenceman Paul Mara as a free agent.

"If you play in the playoffs, you can play during the season," Weber said. "At the end it showed me I can play in the league. But, of course, there will be a spot (Mara) takes. He's a big defensive guy. I don't know what they're looking for. I'll just come to camp and fight for a spot. That's what we'll all have to do." Notes -

The Canadiens yesterday announced the signing of centre Kyle Chipchura to a one-year contract. ... Left-winger Max Pacioretty, who played 34 games with Montreal last season, scoring three goals and 11 points, had his development camp shortened by a sports hernia.

hzurkowsky@thegazette.canwest.com

188What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 13 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:50 pm

Crapola, Pacioretty with a hernia Sad He's friggin' 20 years old!!! Anyhew, Pach is by far the best forward prospect in the habs system.

189What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 13 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:52 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

HowieMorenz wrote:Crapola, Pacioretty with a hernia Sad He's friggin' 20 years old!!! Anyhew, Pach is by far the best forward prospect in the habs system.

I wonder if Martin will try MaxPac with Gomez...

PS Gaston Therrien of RDS has an interesting piece this morning on the 'new look' Habs: Une équipe nettement plus physique.

He sees Mara and Moen as being key ingredients in much a tougher squad.

Link here: http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/278237.html

190What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 13 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:30 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well, that same publication also alerted me to the Slovak Ice Girls.

191What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 13 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:34 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

We like Slovak Ice Girls. Smile

192What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 13 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:51 pm

Hi guys, I know the gomez deal was really bad, but in montreal's defense, i was looking at the prospects they got back in the deal, and they are fairly good, surprisingly!

Have a look:

Tom Pyatt: http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app?page=PlayerDetail&playerId=8471768&service=page

Michael Busto: http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app?page=PlayerDetail&playerId=8473714&service=page&tab=crs

Ahhhhh!

193What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 13 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:33 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

HowieMorenz wrote:Hi guys, I know the gomez deal was really bad, but in montreal's defense, i was looking at the prospects they got back in the deal, and they are fairly good, surprisingly!

Have a look:

Tom Pyatt: http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app?page=PlayerDetail&playerId=8471768&service=page

Michael Busto: http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app?page=PlayerDetail&playerId=8473714&service=page&tab=crs

Ahhhhh!

Yeah well.... If I'm a MTL fan, I'm furious that they gave up Ryan McDonagh, the consensus top prospect in the MTL farm (ahead of Pacioretty, Subban, etc.) on the day of the Gomez trade. I could have better understood that deal from MTL's perspective if it involved just about any other prospect.

194What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 13 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:44 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

HowieMorenz wrote:Hi guys, I know the gomez deal was really bad, but in montreal's defense, i was looking at the prospects they got back in the deal, and they are fairly good, surprisingly!

Have a look:

Ahhhhh!

Holy Dung, look at the numbers for that Busto nerd. Wow!

195What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 13 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/michael%20_busto

196What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 13 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:15 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Have a look:

Ahhhhh!

Howie...why do you think the Gomez deal is 'really bad'? scratch You didn't think Bob had lost it, did you?

The Poutine Patrol will be looking for you, bro... Wink

197What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 13 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:31 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

VIDEO: One-on-one with Habs sniper Mike Cammalleri

What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 13 Article_27309_1

The Hockey News, 2009-07-22 09:18:00

Ken Campbell sits down with the Montreal Canadiens’ newest sniper Mike Cammalleri at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto.

Cammalleri talks about his decision to sign with the Habs, playing with Jarome Iginla, the pressure of playing in Montreal and much more.

Video here:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/27309-VIDEO-Oneonone-with-Habs-sniper-Mike-Cammalleri.html

198What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 13 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:42 pm

I think:

Tanguay is not signing anywhere. Why?

and here is my theory: because he wants to stay in montreal.

Combined with the rumours i am hearing, it sounds like montreal is trying to dump maybe 4 mil, possibly in the form of Roman Hamrlik, to have the cap space for tanguay.

why else in the world would he not yet be signed?

Ahhhhh!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum