GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next For Les Canadiens?

+16
caissie_1
Tuk Tuk
PKC
beedub
Jordo
wprager
shabbs
Mariposa Belle
asq2
LeCaptain
SensFan71
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Cronie
Cap'n Clutch
davetherave
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 14]

166What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 12 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:24 am

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Well the fans don't seem to think so.... just goes to show you how messed up things are.

167What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 12 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:27 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Well the fans don't seem to think so.... just goes to show you how messed up things are.

Toronto looks like the only canadian team in the northeast without any drama going on, Burke must be loving this. Facepalm

168What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 12 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:13 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Acrobat wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:The Leafs need Heatley. There. I said it. It's out now.

Edit: It appears I said it in the wrong thread. Facepalm

Laughing3

It's only the wrong thread if you think that Heatley will be good for them.
Personally, I'd love to see Heatley mentor their rookies and young-uns. It'd ensure long-term success of everyone else in the NorthEast.

I'd love to see Heatley go to the Leafs if only to have a good chuckle over Burke's back-pedaling over his initial statements. Oh, and to see Neil lining him up 6 times a year.

169What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 12 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:38 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:The Leafs need Heatley. There. I said it. It's out now.

Edit: It appears I said it in the wrong thread. Facepalm

Laughing3

It's only the wrong thread if you think that Heatley will be good for them.
Personally, I'd love to see Heatley mentor their rookies and young-uns. It'd ensure long-term success of everyone else in the NorthEast.

I'd love to see Heatley go to the Leafs if only to have a good chuckle over Burke's back-pedaling over his initial statements. Oh, and to see Neil lining him up 6 times a year.

make sure Neil gets his elbow up on those hits or ensure he hits the shoulder, taking him down for the rest of the year.

170What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 12 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:22 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It would have to be the right shoulder, because the left one is usually about 4 inches higher than Neil can reach.

171What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 12 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:25 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Apparently Kovalev is out of the picture...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283860

172What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 12 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:33 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:Apparently Kovalev is out of the picture...

[url=http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283860
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283860[/quote[/url]]

Crap, they say he will not return to Montreal next year ... what i can't understand is why isn't he signed by another team yet? Also, how much $$$ does montreal have left? I think they offered him 4 mil for 2 ... i wonder if kovy's still pondering it ....

Shrug

173What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 12 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:35 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think the offer is off the table now with all the other signings.

- Unknown Author

174What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 12 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:38 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I think the offer is off the table now with all the other signings.

Nuts. Absolutely nuts.

I didn't mind loosing the others, but kovy hurts ....

Leftie :fight: squirrel

175What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 12 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:40 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:It would have to be the right shoulder, because the left one is usually about 4 inches higher than Neil can reach.

Winchester is a big kid, let him do it then :^^^^:

176What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 12 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:49 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

HowieMorenz wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I think the offer is off the table now with all the other signings.

Nuts. Absolutely nuts.

I didn't mind loosing the others, but kovy hurts ....

Leftie :fight: squirrel

Dung happens.

Burning Car

177What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 12 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:08 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Wasn't the rumoured offer $4.5Mx2? And that was quickly shot down by his agents. Maybe that was Gainey testing the waters, and he didn't want to give him any more than that.

178What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 12 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:30 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Perry Pearn joins the Habs coaching staff (along with Pierre Groulx).
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Montreal/2009/07/06/10039646-cp.html

179What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 12 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Next up Smurfette is hired to take care of "The SMurfs on Ice"

180What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 12 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:50 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

jamvan wrote:Next up Smurfette is hired to take care of "The SMurfs on Ice"

I'm sure "Allo Police" is already working on that story.

181What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 12 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:35 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

"Habs Inside Out" columnist Dave Stubbs provides his perspective on the dramatic changes in Montreal.

GAINEY'S PLAN COMING TOGETHER
Dave Stubbs, The Montreal Gazette, July 10, 2009

Let's hope Canadiens general manager Bob Gainey has a few dollars left in the kitty. It's going to cost him a small fortune to buy nameplate letters for the uniforms of all his new players.

Gainey yesterday signed unrestricted free-agent defenceman Paul Mara, most recently of the New York Rangers, to a one-year deal estimated at $1.9 million U.S.

Then a few hours later he put the name of rugged San Jose Sharks winger Travis Moen on a three-year contract reported to be worth $4.5 million.

Both players said last evening they chose Montreal because they see the revamped Canadiens as an opportunity to challenge for the Stanley Cup.

The Mara signing satisfies Gainey's desire to add one more body to his blueline corps. It also seems likely to spell the end of the Montreal careers of veterans Francis Bouillon and Mathieu Dandenault.

The addition of UFA Moen, for two years a Kelowna Rockets major-junior teammate of Habs defenceman Josh Gorges, gives the team size and attitude up front.

Moen was the seventh player acquired by Gainey in the past 11 days. Before yesterday, the GM's postseason shopping had included three high-profile forwards ­ Scott Gomez, acquired in a trade with the Rangers, as well as UFAs Mike Cammalleri and Brian Gionta - and UFA defencemen Jaroslav Spacek and Hal Gill.
Gainey signed not a single of his own 10 UFAs, including captain Saku Koivu and fan favourite Alex Kovalev. Seven in and 10 out isn't changing the chemistry of the Canadiens as much as it is blowing up the laboratory.

"Paul Mara will bring size and experience to our group of defencemen," Gainey said in a release. "He can contribute to all facets of the game.

"Travis Moen is a character player," he added a few hours later of the 6-foot-2, 215-pounder. "He is versatile and he plays hard. His size and style will contribute to adding physicality to our team."

If fans were puzzled over the addition of three fleet but unintimidating forwards in Gomez, Cammalleri and Gionta, maybe they're starting to see a Gainey plan with the addition of 6-foot-7 Gill and 6-foot-4 Mara, twin towers on defence, and the crushing Moen up front.

Mara, a 212-pound 10-year NHL veteran, certainly brings size and experience to the Canadiens.

The 29-year-old native of Ridgewood, N.J., comes to his fifth NHL team, having been chosen seventh overall by the Tampa Bay Lightning in the 1997 entry draft.

He has since played for Phoenix, Boston and the Rangers, scoring 63 goals and adding 176 assists. He has 640 penalty minutes in 639 regular-season games.

Last season with the Rangers, Mara had five goals, 16 assists and 94 penalty minutes in 76 regular-season games, playing an average of 18:57 per match.
Moen, a 27-year-old native of Swift Current, Sask., finished last season with San Jose, having been traded there by Anaheim in March.

He had seven goals, nine assists and 91 penalty minutes in 2008-09, with a five-year NHL total of 29 goals, 27 assists and 487 penalty minutes through 362 games with Chicago, Anaheim and San Jose. Moen was drafted 155th overall by Calgary in 2000.

Montreal will be a homecoming of sorts for Mara, who has been a teammate of Gionta, Gomez and Gill.

"The chemistry issue both on and off the ice won't be a problem," he said last evening from his summer home in Cape Cod. "Guys they've brought in are character guys as well as quality players.

"All the guys, and I talked to Scott Gomez today, have a goal of winning the Stanley Cup. Anything short of that and we'll be disappointed."

Mara grew up in Bedford, Mass., as a loyal Bruins fan, and admitted yesterday's signing flooded his phone, email and text-messaging from that area.

"It's going to hurt their hearts," he joked of his correspondents. "But they're going to switch their allegiances to Montreal."

Playing in Canada is a dream realized for Moen, who helps out on his family's Saskatchewan farm in the summertime and even did a guest spot on the CTV comedy Corner Gas after scoring the Stanley Cup-winning goal for Anaheim in 2007.

"There's disappointment every year you don't win the Cup," he said from Calgary, his attendance at a Kenny Chesney concert bound to earn him points from country music-loving goalie Carey Price. "I'm coming to Montreal because I think there's a good chance."

Moen offers Canadiens fans this scouting report: "I'm a physical guy, finish my checks, stick up for teammates, am good defensively, do a lot of (penalty-killing) and try to chip in offensively when I can.

"There's a lot of history in Montreal and they look like they're going to have a great team again."

dstubbs@thegazette.canwest.com

182What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 12 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:56 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Mara is coming there to challenge for the Cup? And he only signed a 1-year deal? Shrug

183What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 12 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:26 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Mara is coming there to challenge for the Cup? And he only signed a 1-year deal? Shrug

Yeah man, big centennial year for the Habs....oh....wait....nevermind.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum