GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next For Les Canadiens?

+16
caissie_1
Tuk Tuk
PKC
beedub
Jordo
wprager
shabbs
Mariposa Belle
asq2
LeCaptain
SensFan71
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Cronie
Cap'n Clutch
davetherave
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 14]

121What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 9 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:53 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

I would agree the chances are good Lecavalier goes to Montreal.

From RDS, Gainey has not spoken to any of the UFAs except Komisarek.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/277183.html

Apparently the new owners have discussed a plan with Gainey which entails a major reshaping of the club.

This would seem to mean Bob can use virtually all of the $33 million available to him to get the best possible players for the Canadiens.

That's quite a shopping spree.

122What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 9 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:55 pm

beedub

Veteran
Veteran

33 milliion dollar shopping spree....... You could do some damage with that

123What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 9 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:55 pm

Montreal will give atleast a 1st. and one of Pac or McDonough.

124What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 9 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:58 pm

davetherave wrote:I would agree the chances are good Lecavalier goes to Montreal.

From RDS, Gainey has not spoken to any of the UFAs except Komisarek.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/277183.html

Apparently the new owners have discussed a plan with Gainey which entails a major reshaping of the club.

This would seem to mean Bob can use virtually all of the $33 million available to him to get the best possible players for the Canadiens.

That's quite a shopping spree.

yeah, right on dtr, i notice too that bob does tell us that the #1 (18th overall pick) for montreal 2010 is gone ....

Edit: it's still beyond me how tampa bay wants to trade vinnie ....

125What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 9 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:11 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Howie, as a Montreal fan, you might enjoy RDS' "You are the GM" game on the site.

"Jouez au DG" allows you to select from the list of UFAs and make your own version of the 2009-10 Habs. You cannot make trades, but whatever...

http://www.rds.ca/dg/editeur.html

If you're not signed up with RDS, you can do it for free.

I'm not a partisan du Canadien but I had fun with this. My version will no doubt provoke skepticism and other comments of that type...heh heh
Wink

What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 9 Canadi10

126What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 9 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:45 pm

HowieMorenz wrote:
The Guy With The Mustache wrote:
HowieMorenz wrote:
The Guy With The Mustache wrote:
HowieMorenz wrote:Boys, i don't want to sound the alarms, but i'm almost 100% sure that lecavalier is traded to montreal ....

im not concerned. With the amount it would take to get Vinny, Montreal will be even worse next season.

Yeah, hopefully not a huge disappointment, ... i wonder who they gave up .... price? i would say probably, i betcha they get mike smith back ....

Where are you hearing this? confused

I seenf it different places off hockeybuzz ... I 'm trying to find the one particular link that mentions .... see this one:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Jay-Bo-to-VAN-e4-Blues-and-Pronger-e3--Isles-may-fly-1-to-Nassau/1/21717

the one i read said there is 100% a blockbuster by montreal to be annouced tomorrow, and the people who knew, had an ear to ear smile that they coudn't keep off their faces ....

Oh yipeee, i found that article tuk look :

"http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Quick-Hits-ContinueJonas-to-Leafse4-More-on-Wings-SensSabres-Preds/1/21705

"*The Montreal Canadiens have "gone into lockdown mode" and sources are telling me that a "major deal announcement is being prepared for Friday night." Meanwhile, there has been some major shuffling going on among team coaches, etc. Another source in Montreal..."We are about to see a rebirth of this team. The excitement is off the charts. The people who are aware of what is about to happen are smiling ear to ear.

I have even heard that should the Canadiens get close, Lecavalier may actually go to Montreal and make an appearance once dealt to the Habs.

"It would be great to have him help go out and announce a draft pick," a source speculated.

* The Rangers are reportedly offering a deal that may include Chris Drury to the Sens for Dany Heatley. A source close to the scene in NY said that "There are major wheels in motion, and I believe Heatley to be a Ranger by Sunday."

*The Flyers also believe they can first get a deal done for Jay Bo and then worry about clearing space later. The "big" deal that was on the table is not longer possible however, I am told. It is quite possible that the Flyers would move Lupul to make this happen,

*The Sabres are interested in Jordan Leopold...

* Martin Havlat definitely wants to remain a Hawk. In his twitter just moments ago from Prague he wrote, "Just waking up. I had some meetings with my agent in Prague the last few days and he is on the way to Mtl. He will meet with Dale tonight. Everyone should know I am only thinking about signing with Chicago. It's where I want to be."

more in the AM
"

127What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 9 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:05 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Howie, if you look at the above chart I made, substitute Lecavalier for Maxwell, substitute Havlat for D'Agostini, and substitute Meszaros for Markov.

This could assume, for example, a package of Markov, Higgins, Sergei Kostitsyn and Halak (maybe Subban as well)--and I haven't crunched the numbers yet--going to Tampa for Vinny and Mesz.

In that case, this could be a credible Habs roster for next year.

On verra bien, et bientot...

Wink

128What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 9 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:23 pm

davetherave wrote:Howie, if you look at the above chart I made, substitute Lecavalier for Maxwell, substitute Havlat for D'Agostini, and substitute Meszaros for Markov.

This could assume, for example, a package of Markov, Higgins, Sergei Kostitsyn and Halak (maybe Subban as well)--and I haven't crunched the numbers yet--going to Tampa for Vinny and Mesz.

Wink

Did you specifically hear mez as well dtr?

129What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 9 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:29 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

HowieMorenz wrote:
davetherave wrote:Howie, if you look at the above chart I made, substitute Lecavalier for Maxwell, substitute Havlat for D'Agostini, and substitute Meszaros for Markov.

Wink

No, I am just guessing...but it would make sense for the Bolts to send Mesz to Montreal if Gainey gives up Markov.

You noticed I assumed in my 'chart' that Komi walks. I 'built' the team based on what I see as a 'Gainey-Martin' approach, emphasizing two-way players with fast skaters; and d-men like Beauchemin, Scuderi, Zanon, all very solid guys. Garon adds the experience as a backup for Price.

I have long thought that Bob would try to bring the Sedins to Montreal, but who knows...

Again, just having some fun with this.

130What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 9 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:35 pm

davetherave wrote:
HowieMorenz wrote:

Wink

No, I am just guessing...but it would make sense for the Bolts to send Mesz to Montreal if Gainey gives up Markov.

You noticed I assumed in my 'chart' that Komi walks. I 'built' the team based on what I see as a 'Gainey-Martin' approach, emphasizing two-way players with fast skaters; and d-men like Beauchemin, Scuderi, Zanon, all very solid guys. Garon adds the experience as a backup for Price.

I have long thought that Bob would try to bring the Sedins to Montreal, but who knows...

Again, just having some fun with this.

Yeah, yeah, i'm speculating at this point as well. Hell it might be st-louis they're getting ....

I beleive it will go down this weekend either way, and so will many deals .... even with these rumours, things can take a total about face tomorrow morning ....

131What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 9 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:38 pm

davetherave wrote:Howie, as a Montreal fan, you might enjoy RDS' "You are the GM" game on the site.

"Jouez au DG" allows you to select from the list of UFAs and make your own version of the 2009-10 Habs. You cannot make trades, but whatever...

That is awsome... I gotta write something like this... have to see if it is just html or PHP....

PHP me thinks... really cool for us hockey nerds...

132What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 9 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:40 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

MurderOnIce wrote:
davetherave wrote:Howie, as a Montreal fan, you might enjoy RDS' "You are the GM" game on the site.

That is awsome... I gotta write something like this... have to see if it is just html or PHP....

Is anything "just html" these days? The "static html" days are LONG GONE.

Wink

133What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 9 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:49 pm

shabbs wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:

Is anything "just html" these days? The "static html" days are LONG GONE.

Wink

No, I remember the good old days when you had to know HTML. Now all the editors make it just like using word.. PHP is real powerful though.

This probably has a little database and a PHP front end... Would be cool to have a league wide facility like this. I'd love to play GM...

134What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 9 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:52 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, that's got LAMP all over it.

135What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 9 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:31 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

MurderOnIce wrote:

Go for it...this chart was a blast to play with...would be cool to do it with different teams.

136What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 9 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:33 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Wouldn't be surprised to see Montreal's only big move be trading for Vinny.

137What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 9 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:50 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Habs columnist Pat Hickey takes his swipe at 'what's next'? for Le Bleu Blanc Rouge--with major changes possible...?

Koivu's on the outside looking in
"Any serious talks are on hold until after the draft this weekend."
Pat Hickey, The Gazette, June 25, 2009

With eight days remaining before he can become an unrestricted free agent, Canadiens captain Saku Koivu is in limbo.

Koivu's agent, Don Baizley, said yesterday that he and Canadiens general manager Bob Gainey have talked, but the club has not extended an offer.

"Saku would like to stay in Montreal, but we're waiting to see what the team has in mind," Baizley said.

Gainey said this week that he has talked with several of the 10 unrestricted free agents on the roster, but that any serious talks were on hold until after this weekend's draft.

Koivu made his debut with the Canadiens in 1995 and has been the captain since 1999. He has never had any problem reaching a contract agreement with the team but, this time around, there may not be an offer.

Gainey's decision to wait until after the draft has heightened speculation that the Canadiens are targeting a long-term need - a dominant centre with some size.

But fans who are hoping that Vincent Lecavalier is on his way home will probably be disappointed.

While there has been a running feud between Tampa Bay Lightning owners Oren Koules and Len Barrie, there appears to be a consensus that trading Lecavalier would deal a serious blow to the Lightning's marketing efforts.

The latest speculation has the Canadiens targeting Patrick Marleau or even Danny Briere, who has been mistaken for a big man.

Even if Lecavalier were available, it would be difficult for the Canadiens to satisfy the Lightning's needs. Tampa Bay is looking for a package that includes a front-line defenceman and that means Andrei Markov.

The Canadiens and Tampa had a brief discussion about a deal for Lecavalier last winter, but the talks ended abruptly when Lawton asked for Josh Gorges, Christopher Higgins and Tomas Plekanec.

At season's end, Gainey ripped into Lawton, saying it was "disgraceful" that the names were made public. At the time, there was a suggestion that it would be impossible for the two men to make a deal in the future, but Lawton said yesterday that he and Gainey have talked and settled any differences.

Lawton has spent weeks ducking questions about whether he plans to trade Lecavalier or the No. 2 overall pick in tomorrow night's draft. He made it clear yesterday that he's holding on to the draft pick.

"I don't think trading for an established player is going to make a difference," he explained. "We're looking to build through the draft and we're going to get a quality player to go along with Steven Stamkos."

Lawton said players like Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin and Evgeny Malkin have raised expectations for young players, but he's confident that any of the top five players in this year's draft will be productive NHL players.

"You draft a young player and your costs are controlled for a few years," Lawton added. "Our strategy is to have a team that's younger and cheaper."

Which raises the question: Isn't trading Lecavalier a move in that direction?

phickey@thegazette.canwest.com

138What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 9 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:52 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Anybody expecting Montreal to turn it around next year will be greatly disappointed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum