GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Senators at Maple Leafs, Saturday, April 11, 2009, 700 pm ET

+10
The Silfer Server
caissie_1
SensFan71
Number Twenty Nine
shabbs
Hockeyhero22000
LeCaptain
wprager
PTFlea
davetherave
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

GAME DAY: Senators at Maple Leafs, Saturday, April 11, 2009, 700 pm ET OttOttawa at GAME DAY: Senators at Maple Leafs, Saturday, April 11, 2009, 700 pm ET TorToronto

7:00 PM ET, April 11, 2009
Air Canada Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

CBC

Senators-Maple Leafs Preview

ESPN.com/Stats LLC

The Toronto Maple Leafs are in a playoff drought that is unprecedented in their history. Under Cory Clouston, the Ottawa Senators' play down the stretch suggests a postseason return next year is very possible.

Having improved since Clouston took over as coach, the Senators look to end their subpar season with a win when they face the Maple Leafs on Saturday night.

While Toronto (33-35-13) -- one of the league's Original Six teams -- will miss the playoffs for a franchise-record fourth straight season, Ottawa's run of 11 consecutive postseason appearances will come to an end.

The Senators (36-34-11), though, have changed their fortunes since Clouston was brought up from Binghamton of the AHL to take over after Craig Hartsburg was fired Feb. 2. Ottawa is 19-10-4 under Clouston, who became the team's coach on a full-time basis after signing a two-year contract Wednesday.

Though it will finish in 11th place in the Eastern Conference, Ottawa has plenty to look forward to heading into next season.

"We showed a lot of character battling back," Senators winger Jesse Winchester said.

Ottawa won a franchise-record nine straight home games before losing 3-2 to New Jersey in a shootout on Thursday night. The Senators played the Atlantic Division champion Devils tough after beating conference champ Boston and playoff-bound Philadelphia in their previous two home games.

Ottawa's winning streak at home included a 2-1 win over Toronto on March 9.

Dany Heatley, who had a goal for the Senators in that contest, needs one more to reach 40 for the fourth straight season. The All-Star winger has four goals in his last three games.

He'll be facing a Maple Leafs team that has allowed a league-worst 284 goals.

Toronto, the only team that will finish behind Ottawa in the Northeast Division, has given up 30 goals in its last seven home games, going 3-4-0.

The Maple Leafs have been plagued by inconsistent goaltending all season. On Wednesday night, Curtis Joseph suffered his NHL record-tying 452nd loss as Toronto fell 3-1 to Buffalo.

Joseph is tied with the late Gump Worsley for the most losses in league history.

Joseph, fourth on the career victory list with 454, won't be in net Saturday. Martin Gerber, claimed off waivers from Ottawa on March 4, is expected to start in place of the 41-year-old Joseph.

Gerber struggled in the playoffs last season as Ottawa was swept by Pittsburgh in the first round. He hopes to return to Toronto next season to back up Vesa Toskala, who has been out since early March due to groin and hip injuries.

"Overall, playing here was really a great experience," Gerber told the Maple Leafs' official Web site. "I think things are going in the right direction."

Gerber is 5-5-0 with a 3.34 goals-against average in 11 games with Toronto. He's 2-3-0 with a 3.01 GAA in five games versus the Senators.

The Maple Leafs have lost their last two home games, getting held to a total of three goals, but have won both matchups versus Ottawa in Toronto this season and scored three in each. The Leafs lead the season series 3-1-1.

GAME DAY: Senators at Maple Leafs, Saturday, April 11, 2009, 700 pm ET Sens-l10

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I dare ye to play Gerbage. In fact, I dare ye to play Joseph. In fact, I dare ye to play Pogge. In fact...ah whatever.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:I dare ye to play Gerbage. In fact, I dare ye to play Joseph. In fact, I dare ye to play Pogge. In fact...ah whatever.

Geez, I thought everyone had taken the Easter Weekend off.
Wink

IMHO this will be one ORNERY game.

Two pi$$ed off teams who already don't like each other.

:fight: :fight: :fight:

Should be fun to watch.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Wow, GDT 24 hours before the game. Talk about being prepared!

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Wow, GDT 24 hours before the game. Talk about being prepared!

Preparation is everything LOL :D:

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dave, looking at that avatar of yours, when was that from? The reason I ask is I always thought that Patrick Roy started the whole head-butting the goalie thing back in his1st or 2nd year. Now I'm seeing everyone in the league doing it, and I'm wondering if I wasn't mistake all those years ago. Like the current batch of Habs fans who think that Ole started with them.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Dave, looking at that avatar of yours, when was that from? The reason I ask is I always thought that Patrick Roy started the whole head-butting the goalie thing back in his1st or 2nd year. Now I'm seeing everyone in the league doing it, and I'm wondering if I wasn't mistake all those years ago. Like the current batch of Habs fans who think that Ole started with them.

Hey Prags, that's a shot of Khabby and Buff from the recent win over the Preds.

I like it because I like Nik and Dustin...hard working guys who take a lot of crap and keep on going.
Wink

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

1 min left in OT between Dallas and Anaheim as I write this. If they lose, we are still 9th, so I hope we win this one 10-0 Laughing3

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

i wanna light gerbs or joseph up in this one we have lost to many times to the leafs already this year i also hope heater gets his 40th although alfie is apparently questionable for tomorrow

According to http://senators.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=417614

Around the boards

Captain Daniel Alfredsson
sat out practice today and Clouston termed his status "questionable"
for Saturday's game, though he will travel with the team to Toronto.
Alfredsson needed three stitches near his right ear after being struck
with a puck late in the third period of Thursday's loss to the Devils,
but Clouston said that the injury that's bothering his captain is "an
accumulation type of thing." ... In Alfredsson's absence, the Senators
lines looked like this today: Dany Heatley-Mike Fisher-Jesse Winchester; Nick Foligno-Jason Spezza-Ryan Shannon; Jarkko Ruutu-Chris Kelly-Chris Neil; Christoph Schubert-Mike Comrie-Shean Donovan ...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The fire she is a-risin...The Battle of Ontario is on!

:##: :##: :##:

:%%:

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Just read that Bingo got eliminated Sad They lost 6-1 while Philly won their game. It's done. No playoffs for either Sens teams or the 67s.

All that's left is beating the Leafs. With gusto.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Let close out with an all-out brawl! HA HA!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'll drink to that.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Clouston would like to see some fireworks:

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2009/04/11/9080891-sun.html

Heh heh.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Awesome. Any chance we see one of the B-Sens called up, now that they have also been eliminated? And add this to the list of "what ifs": What if they had sent Elliott down for the last few games, since he was sitting as backup anyway.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum