GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Montreal Canadiens at Boston Bruins, Thursday April 9, 2009, 700 pm ET

+12
wprager
SensGirl11
beedub
LeCaptain
PKC
Number Twenty Nine
Cronie
caissie_1
PTFlea
SensFan71
SeawaySensFan
davetherave
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

There are few rivalries in hockey are heated as this one. And the thought of Claude Julien's team poised to knock the team and the man who fired him out of the playoff race has to be on more than a few minds...not to mention those of Sens fans. Safe to say, they'll be some scoreboard watching tonight.

----

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Montreal Canadiens at Boston Bruins, Thursday April 9, 2009, 700 pm ET MonMontreal at GAME OF THE NIGHT: Montreal Canadiens at Boston Bruins, Thursday April 9, 2009, 700 pm ET BosBoston

7:00 PM ET, April 9, 2009
TD Banknorth Garden, Boston, Massachusetts

Canadiens-Bruins Preview

ESPN.com/Stats LLC

The last time the Boston Bruins finished first in the Eastern Conference, they were eliminated by Montreal in the opening round of the playoffs.

Even if the Canadiens make this year's postseason, they don't appear to be much of an upset threat.

The Bruins, mostly concerned with staying healthy down the stretch, look to keep their struggling longtime rivals from clinching a postseason spot Thursday night.

Boston (51-18-10) has secured the top seed in the East, but its first-round opponent has yet to be determined. The Bruins finished first in 2001-02, only to be stunned in six games by eighth-seeded Montreal.

The Canadiens (41-29-10) were the top seed last season and beat first-round opponent Boston in seven games before being eliminated by Philadelphia. Now, the Canadiens are just hoping to find a way into the postseason after hurting their chances with two straight losses.

Montreal, which has a one-point lead over the eighth-place New York Rangers, can earn a playoff spot with a win or by forcing overtime. The Canadiens can back into the postseason if ninth-place Florida loses one of its final two games.

"We can't get upset and pack it in now," said Montreal goaltender Carey Price, whose team concludes the regular season at home against Pittsburgh on Saturday night. "It's too important. The good news is, we get another chance to clinch."

The Canadiens, though, have totaled three goals in their last two contests and have been held to two or fewer in each of their last four games against the Bruins.

Boston is 7-0-1 at home after losing its previous three, but had a six-game winning streak snapped in a 3-2 loss at Ottawa on Tuesday night.

Phil Kessel's return didn't help the Bruins overcome the Senators, who beat the Canadiens 3-2 on Monday night. The third-year winger played after missing five games with an undisclosed injury and scored his team-leading 32nd goal.

Defenseman Andrew Ference, however, missed the game due to an undisclosed injury and is out for the rest of the regular season. Winger P.J. Axelsson and defenseman Dennis Wideman also remained in Boston due to undisclosed injuries, and their status for Thursday is uncertain.

"That's what we're trying to accomplish here is get a healthy team together," Bruins coach Claude Julien said. "We've got some guys ... that are hopefully going in that direction, and this is the luxury that I guess we have right now."

Montreal is also dealing with health issues, as it's expected to be without top defensemen Andrei Markov (knee) and Mathieu Schneider (shoulder) for the rest of the regular season. Both players were hurt in a victory over Toronto on Saturday night, and the Canadiens haven't won since.

Montreal lost 3-1 to the Rangers on Tuesday night despite getting Price back in net. The All-Star made 41 saves after missing three games due to the flu but gave up a soft goal early in the second period.

Price bounced a pass off the skate of teammate Josh Gorges, allowing Nik Antropov to dive and poke the puck in.

"We can't get upset and pack it in now," Price said. "It's too important. The good news is, we get another chance to clinch. It's too bad it didn't work out tonight."

Price struggled in his last game at Boston, making 25 saves in a 6-1 loss Nov. 13.

The Bruins have won the last four matchups with the Canadiens this season after dropping the first two in shootouts. They had lost the previous 10 meetings in regulation.

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Montreal Canadiens at Boston Bruins, Thursday April 9, 2009, 700 pm ET Habs-b10

Last edited by davetherave on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Toolman's numbers are just insane. .933 SV%, that's just nuts.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Montreal has called up Yannick Weber to help on the power play.

Price will start, and Bob Gainey says, "He'll have to be better. Just like the rest of the team."

Meanwhile, the buyers are lining up to purchase the Habs, and the Government of Quebec is offering financial assistance to encourage the potential purchasers...

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:Montreal has called up Yannick Weber to help on the power play.

Price will start, and Bob Gainey says, "He'll have to be better. Just like the rest of the team."

Meanwhile, the buyers are lining up to purchase the Habs, and the Government of Quebec is offering financial assistance to encourage the potential purchasers...

Price is starting? has Gainey packed it in or what? It could be just me, but I would be banking on Halak more than Price. he has brought it more than Price has this season, but the Sens fan in me says play Price, fall flat on your face, I will be there to laugh while your down and sing "ole, ole, ole"

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I poop on the Habs. But since (fortunately) no pooping smiley is available, I tinkle on their dreams.

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Montreal Canadiens at Boston Bruins, Thursday April 9, 2009, 700 pm ET Montreal-Canadiens-365-779906 squirrel

squirrel

Go Bruins! Cheering

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Come on Bruin's. Let's hope their loss to us spark's them into a big game tonigth and they demolish these Ole screaming Hab's!

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Is Florida playing tonight?

man, is TSN covering this game?

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

Ole Mr. Pricecroft!

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I hope the Bruins lay a Dung down on the Habs...like a 10+ goal shutout...

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Oh boy... The Bruins will want every chance to face the HAbs in the playoffs. That starts tonight with a win. That kid Weber is thrown in a lion's cage. I think Lucic is salivating already

:BB:

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:I hope the Bruins lay a Dung down on the Habs...like a 10+ goal shutout...

and to add further Justice, Ryder lays a 5 spot on his former team. lol.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Well, something tells me I'll be glued to my screen tonight.
Let's go BRUINS!

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

3-2 Habs over the Bruins, perhaps in OT. Is Price back from the flu?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Evidently, Schneider may be back despite an injury. Might be a PP only engagement.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I wonder if Schneider, with his VERY public injury, is going to be 'picked' on or rather if some B's players may pay more attention to him?

Now, granted, if he's only iced for the PP, he has next to nothing to fear, but with the standings being this tight, and the Habs fighting for their playoff lives, let's face it, players have been known to buckle-down and go that EXTRA mile to ensure a win.

Either way, Gainey is taking one hell of a gamble (imho) by putting Price back in. I'm sure there's a reverse psychology thing going on as well as an All-In mentality coupled within as well. If it pays off, Gainey's a genius; however should Price find himself still trying to acquire his confidence and get lit up, who will the fans and pundits pin this potential loss on? Gainey or Price?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum