GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Senators at Bruins, Thursday April 2, 2009 7:00pm ET

+9
asq2
caissie_1
wprager
PTFlea
SensFan71
Phoenix30
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
davetherave
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

GAME DAY: Senators at Bruins, Thursday April 2, 2009 7:00pm ET OttOttawa at GAME DAY: Senators at Bruins, Thursday April 2, 2009 7:00pm ET BosBoston

7:00 PM ET, April 2, 2009
TD Banknorth Garden, Boston, Massachusetts

Senators-Bruins Preview

ESPN.com/Stats LLC

The Boston Bruins have almost secured home-ice advantage throughout the Eastern Conference playoffs. Given that the Ottawa Senators have showed no sign of being able to stop them, the Bruins figure to move even closer to that goal in the series' next meeting.

Boston look to win its seventh straight over Ottawa on Thursday night when the teams meet at TD Banknorth Garden.

With six games remaining, Boston (49-17-10) is in excellent position to wrap up the top seed in the East, which brings with it home-ice advantage in the first three rounds. The Bruins have a seven-point lead over Washington -- their closest pursuer -- and could potentially clinch first place in the conference at home against the New York Rangers on Saturday.

Despite how close they are to their first conference title since 2002, Boston remains even-keeled.

"I don't know if we need to win the conference for the confidence," coach Claude Julien said. "We feel pretty good about ourselves and that if we play the way we can we can be successful. ... Once the playoffs start, those things don't matter."

Helping the Bruins' cause is an easy path into the postseason. They face Ottawa twice as well as the New York Islanders -- two teams that have already been eliminated from playoff contention -- and also take on Buffalo, which is currently 10th in the conference.

Boston has won four straight, including a 3-1 victory over Tampa Bay on Tuesday. Blake Wheeler and Chuck Kobasew each scored their 20th goals of the season and backup Manny Fernandez made 24 saves.

The Bruins are averaging 4.5 goals during the win streak and are 7-for-15 (46.7 percent) on the power play during that stretch. Prior to their four-game run, they had gone 3-5-2 between Feb. 28 and March 19, during which they averaged 2.7 goals and were 6-for-36 (16.7 percent) with the man advantage.

"We're moving the puck quicker and with a lot more confidence," Julien said.

The winning streak comes despite the absence of leading goal-scorer Phil Kessel, who has missed the last three games with an undisclosed injury. Julien said Wednesday that he will be out until next week.

The Senators (33-33-10) certainly won't mind not seeing Kessel, who has four goals and three assists against them in four Boston wins this season. The Bruins have won six straight against Ottawa dating to last season and four in a row at home, outscoring the Senators 19-7 at TD Banknorth Garden.

Boston's Tim Thomas is 6-0-0 with 1.32 goals-against average and two shutouts in his last six starts versus the Senators.

Ottawa was eliminated from contention Tuesday with a 5-2 loss to Florida. The Senators, who have lost three of four after winning nine of 10, gave up three second-period goals and trailed 4-1 early in the third after Alex Auld replaced rookie Brian Elliot in goal.

This is the first time the Senators will not be in the postseason since 1996.

"It's not something that snuck up on us," captain Daniel Alfredsson said. "We've known this situation for a long time. Our focus hasn't been only on trying to get into the playoffs, it's been on turning things around, which we definitely have, and now it's a matter of trying to keep our momentum and keep playing."

Alfredsson has only one assist in the last five games. He has two goals and three assists against the Bruins this season.

GAME DAY: Senators at Bruins, Thursday April 2, 2009 7:00pm ET Sens-b11

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Sens have a Win in them vs. the Mighty Bruins this season. Will it be tonight? I don't know but I don't see it being a season sweep. I will be watching and I'll be cheering them on as usual 😄

Last edited by Cap'n Clutch on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

GAME DAY: Senators at Bruins, Thursday April 2, 2009 7:00pm ET Sensbruins
Starting goalies as per: http://goaliepost.com/
- Ottawa: Auld (probable)
- Boston: Thomas (probable)

TSN's Ice Chips: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11009

Ottawa Senators
- no updates

Boston Bruins
Phil Kessel and Shawn Thornton, both did not attend practice on Wednesday. Kessel won't play until next week, while Thornton is day-to-day. - Boston Globe

If the Bruins clinch the Eastern title in the next week, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Phil Kessel (believed to have a bad shoulder) stay on the sideline until the start of the playoffs. - Boston Globe

Game is on: SNET-E, NESN (HD)

Watch on-line here: http://www.atdhe.net/live-tv-5824.html

GO SENS GO!!!

Last edited by shabbs on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:49 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Information updates.)

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

So atdhe.net is showing games again? That's great news because their feeds are superior to anything I've seen thus far.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:So atdhe.net is showing games again? That's great news because their feeds are superior to anything I've seen thus far.
Seems to be. They've got it listed in their streams tonight so I provided the link.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'll still be watching it on Sportsnet East because it's not better than regular TV but it's nice to know for future games that I'll have that option since I have the cable to hook my Laptop up to my 53" TV :D:

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I'll still be watching it on Sportsnet East because it's not better than regular TV but it's nice to know for future games that I'll have that option since I have the cable to hook my Laptop up to my 53" TV :D:
It's amazing how well some of the streams can show up on a TV. Even YouTube videos are not too shabby on my 60". And now, with them offering HD/HQ versions of videos, it's pretty damn sweet. Now, if only my XBOX could decode HD... bah.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

So do the Sens show up and fight hard tonight or have they already booked T-times and pack it in?

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:So do the Sens show up and fight hard tonight or have they already booked T-times and pack it in?
Good question. Sadly, I think they've packed it in and we're in for a drubbing tonight...

A couple of the Sens already have their bags packed and ready to go.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

It'll be interesting to see how they react to Bryan Murray's comments about them, as reported in today's Citizen and Sun.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:The Sens have a Win in them vs. the Mighty Bruins this season. Will it be tonight? I don't know but I don't see it being a season sweep. I will be watching and I'll be cheering them on as usual :smile:

I hope not. Some of the teams in the bottom 5 have an easier schedule than Ottawa down the stretch so I am hoping we lay the golden egg to the the top 5...of course with some help from the bottom feeders winning a couple.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Alex Auld may get the start tonight:

http://blogs.ottawasenators.com/gord_wilson/2009/04/the-end-of-the-road-tripand-so-much-more.html

We'll see.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:So do the Sens show up and fight hard tonight or have they already booked T-times and pack it in?

let's hope this is not the case, but I imagine the established players already have, the younguns will keep plugging on, shannon and foligno and the like.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

For the first time in my life I'm truly conflicted. I want them to lose - and I think they will - but I cannot cheer against them.

They really have to lose though, it's integral to our plans going forward...I hate this. I know how Leaf fans feel now, it sucks.

Lose commies. It's too late, just...play like you've been playing the last week. That should do nicely. Crying

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum