GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Bruins at Senators, Tuesday, April 7, 2009, 7:30 PM ET

+16
Hockeyhero22000
strachattack
dennycrane
Sp00nz
SensGirl11
asq2
LeCaptain
beedub
Riprock
Cronie
SensFan71
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
wprager
shabbs
davetherave
20 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 12]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

GAME DAY: Bruins at Senators, Tuesday, April 7, 2009, 7:30 PM ET BosBoston at GAME DAY: Bruins at Senators, Tuesday, April 7, 2009, 7:30 PM ET OttOttawa

7:30 PM ET, April 7, 2009
Scotiabank Place, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Bruins-Senators Preview

ESPN.com/Stats LLC

With four games left before they open the Eastern Conference playoffs as the top seed, the Boston Bruins have three remaining goals: get healthy, stay sharp and make a run at their first Presidents' trophy in 19 years.

They'll also be looking for a season sweep of Northeast Division rival Ottawa when they visit Canada's capital Tuesday night, where the Senators will look to set a franchise record for their longest home winning streak.

The Bruins' surprising regular season will end with the team at the top of the East standings, an outcome confirmed by Boston's 1-0 win over the New York Rangers on Saturday afternoon.

The victory was the sixth straight for the Bruins (51-17-10), who still have a chance to finish with the most points in the league for the first time since 1989-90. They trail San Jose by three points, but the Sharks have only three games left.

The last time Boston won the Presidents' trophy, it eventually lost to Edmonton in the Stanley Cup finals. One more victory, though, will give the Bruins 114 points for the first time since 1971-72 -- the last time they won the Cup.

Boston will also be focused on mending its roster leading up to the postseason.

Leading goal-scorer Phil Kessel is likely to return Wednesday after a five-game absence due to an undisclosed injury, but a trio of Bruins skaters will miss the game.

Boston coach Claude Julien told his team's official Web site that there was a "good chance" Kessel would play, and grinder Shawn Thornton could also return. P.J. Axelsson, Andrew Ference and Dennis Wideman, though, won't make the trip due to injuries the coach called "maintenance."

The Bruins' preparation for the playoffs may also include more rest for goalie Tim Thomas, who received a four-year, $20 million contract extension Friday and responded with a 31-save shutout against the Rangers.

"Obviously, this stuff affects you to a certain point," Thomas said of the contract talks, "but I've been able to put it behind me and just concentrate on hockey."

After a lengthy slump, the Bruins have sharpened their game in recent weeks, and they've been dominant defensively in their last three games. Opponents managed two goals during the team's three-game homestand, failing on all 11 of their power play attempts.

That stretch included a 2-1 win over Ottawa on Thursday night -- Boston's seventh straight victory over the Senators. The Bruins have scored 20 goals in five wins to start this season's series.

The Senators (35-34-10) will miss the playoffs for the first time since 1996, but they have played well down the stretch, especially at home. They've outscored visitors 32-19 during their eight-game home winning streak, going 10-for-34 (29.4 percent) on the power play over that span.

The team has already matched its eight-game streak from the 2002-03 season, and will be seeking the first nine-game run at home in franchise history.
Ottawa, 17-9-2 overall since Feb. 7, won 3-2 in Montreal on Monday night, when

Dany Heatley scored two goals 38 seconds apart in the third period to give the Senators the lead. Heatley needs three goals in his final three games to notch a fourth consecutive 40-goal season.

GAME DAY: Bruins at Senators, Tuesday, April 7, 2009, 7:30 PM ET Sens-b12

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

GAME DAY: Bruins at Senators, Tuesday, April 7, 2009, 7:30 PM ET Bruins_senators_400

Starting goalies as per: http://goaliepost.com
- Ottawa: Elliott (likely - Auld played night before)
- Boston: Manny Fernandez (firm)

Game Day notes from the Ottawa Sun: http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2009/04/07/9034371-sun.html

KEEP AN EYE ON

17 MILAN LUCIC LW

2008-09 Stats: 68 GP 17 G 24 A 41 PTS 114 Pims

THE SKINNY: Big winger has a lot of GMs asking their scouts "How did you miss this guy?" He went 50th overall in the 2006 draft ... Of the '06 draft class, only Jordan Staal, Phil Kessel, Peter Mueller and James Sheppard have played more games than Lucic in the NHL so far ... He's a native of Vancouver and played his junior hockey with the Vancouver Giants of the WHL.

BLACK AND BLUE REPORT
BRUINS: LW Marco Sturm (knee), out for season; LW Shawn Thornton (undisclosed), questionable; D Aaron Ward (undisclosed), questionable; LW P.J. Axelsson (undisclosed), not expected to play; D Andrew Ference (undisclosed), not expected to play; D Dennis Wideman (undisclosed), not expected to play; C Phil Kessel (undisclosed), questionable.

SENATORS: G Pascal Leclaire (ankle), out for season; D Alexandre Picard (knee), out season; C Cody Bass (shoulder surgery), out for season; D Jason Smith (knee), out for season.

NOTEWORTHY
The Senators are looking for their first win against the Bruins this season. They are 0-4-1 against the Eastern Conference-leading B's. Apart from their last meeting, which the Bruins won 2-1 in Boston April 2, the games have been pretty high-scoring with the Bruins potting 21 goals to the Senators' 13 ... The Senators are just 2-for-17 on the power play against Boston this season and are 0-for-9 in their last two meetings ... The Bruins are 4-for-14 with the man advantage against the Senators this season, 4-for-6 in the last two games ... After Manny Fernandez started the first two games against Ottawa this season, Tim Thomas has played the last two.

TSN's Ice Chips: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11009

Ottawa Senators
- no updates yet

Boston Bruins
Phil Kessel, sidelined the last 2-3 weeks, is expected to be in uniform tonight when the Bruins face the Senators in Ottawa. Shawn Thornton and Aaron Ward should also be in the lineup. - Boston Globe/Herald

Game is on: NESN (HD),SNET-E (HD). You'll need NHL CI for this one if you are outside of the broadcast area.

If there's an on-line stream, I'll post it here.

GO SENS GO!!!

Last edited by shabbs on Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Go Sens Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I hope we humiliate the Bruins tonight so they are pis**ed off tomorrow against the Habs. Now, how can we humiliate them without injuring them and without actually winning?

Aw, hell, go for the win.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think we can win by shooting pucks at Manny Fernandez.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I wonder if the B's are in "coast" mode now that they've clinched the East. Unless they are really pressing hard for the Prez Trophy, they'll probably ease up a bit in preparation for the post-season.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Diddle yeah! I love the 1-2 punch of Dave and Shabbs' GDT.

Nice job boys!!! :KKK:

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:I think we can win by shooting pucks at Manny Fernandez.

you know its a little hairbrained, but it might just work SSF, you may be onto something here. don't let other teams get wind of this strategy lol.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Diddle yeah! I love the 1-2 punch of Dave and Shabbs' GDT.

Shabbs is DA MAN.

:D:

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:
504Heater wrote:Diddle yeah! I love the 1-2 punch of Dave and Shabbs' GDT.

Shabbs is DA MAN.

:D:
It's a good system...

Heh heh.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

My game-day ritual is NEVER complete until I've ingested and read both Shabbs' and DTR's game-day threads, opinions and analysis...

Atta-boy you two! Keep it up! And thank you for being one of many bright additions to our ever-growing hockey community here @ GM Hockey.

:##:

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:My game-day ritual is NEVER complete until I've ingested and read both Shabbs' and DTR's game-day threads, opinions and analysis...

Atta-boy you two! Keep it up! And thank you for being one of many bright additions to our ever-growing hockey community here @ GM Hockey.

are they our equivalent of cheech and chong as well? lol I think I might pay for that one lol Scared

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

We beat the un-Canadiens, that's all that matters. This game has no bearing on their season's fate, so I can accept a hard fought loss, similar to the 2-1 loss we faced last time. Bruins are at the top, we should try to keep in the top draft hunt. Only games that can screw the loser Habs I care to win, so any team fighting for playoff spot (Rangers, Panthers).

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hahahahahahaha. Wicked avatar Dash.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:My game-day ritual is NEVER complete until I've ingested and read both Shabbs' and DTR's game-day threads, opinions and analysis...

Thank you, thank you...heh heh...just wait 'til the playoffs start.

:afro:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 12]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum