GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Carolina Hurricanes at Boston Bruins, Sunday, May 3, 2009, 730pm ET

+2
Hockeyhero22000
davetherave
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Carolina Hurricanes at Boston Bruins, Sunday, May 3, 2009, 730pm ET CarCarolina at GAME OF THE NIGHT: Carolina Hurricanes at Boston Bruins, Sunday, May 3, 2009, 730pm ET BosBoston

GAME TWO, STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS EAST SEMIFINALS
BRUINS LEAD SERIES 1-0

7:30 PM ET, May 3, 2009
TD Banknorth Garden, Boston, Massachusetts

TSN/RDS/Versus

WILMINGTON, Mass. (AP) -- The Boston Bruins are staying out of the penalty box and shutting down the rare power plays they have given up in the playoffs.
The Bruins' penalty killers improved to a perfect 9-for-9, killing off the only power play they gave up during their 4-1 victory against Carolina in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference semifinal Friday night.

"A lot of what this has to do with -- at least from a defenseman's point of view -- is having some forwards back helping us, not having too many breakdowns where we're forced to be out of position and have to use our sticks," defenseman Steve Montador after practice Saturday. "So I think because we're in better position, because our forwards are helping out, credit to them because it's making our job that much easier."

The clean play in front of him has impressed Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas.

"I can't rarely, if ever, think of a time period where a team that's played so well defensively without taking penalties," Thomas said.

"It's because they work so hard to be in position and they're not taking penalties because they're in the right position all the time. So it is discipline so you don't reach out your stick and stuff."

The Hurricanes' power play has been off so far in the playoffs with two goals in 30 chances. But they know they have to do a better job of drawing penalties from the Bruins to have a chance in this series. How? Tough question.

"Well, we're not going to complain more -- that doesn't work," said Carolina head coach Paul Maurice, whose team did not practice Saturday.

"We are going to do everything that we can. You rarely take a penalty when you have the puck so you need to control the puck better and put them in positions where they get in behind and start having to reach in to stop you. But they're very well coached and very disciplined in that approach so that it doesn't happen very often."

Hurricanes center Eric Staal is pointless in five games this season against Boston.

During the regular season, he led Carolina with 14 power-play goals. He knows it'll take more than the Hurricanes showed in Game 1 to get the power play rolling.

"We need to create some havoc down in their end of the ice, get our feet moving, move pucks and eventually they're going to have to hold us or hook and we'll get some power plays," he said.

"I don't think we had enough sustained pressure to generate some of those opportunities and we just have to do a better job of that in Game 2."

Game notes
Winger Phil Kessel was the only Bruins player not to practice. He banged his elbow in a fall in Game 1, but coach Claude Julien said his leading regular-season goal-scorer will be ready for Game 2. .... There was a scoring change made today from Game 1. Aaron Ward was credited with the Bruins' first goal, which was originally credited to David Krejci. Michael Ryder and Krejci are now credited with the assists.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Interestingly enough...the Hurricanes have outshot Boston 13-8 in the first frame as they battle to a scoreless result.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

both goalies have been big

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

uh oh corvo scores....now boston to the powerplay

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

the canes get one short handed

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The shock in the Banknorth Garden is audible...

2-0 Canes????

C'mon Canes, I need Maurice and Francis to bring the cup to the Sault :^^:

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

'Canes up 2-0... and a shortie to boot.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

3-zip. Are the Canes doing to Thomas what they did to Brodeur?

:****:

But the goal is disallowed!

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I thought that puck was in.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Carolina Hurricanes at Boston Bruins, Sunday, May 3, 2009, 730pm ET Spdyj4

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

An AMAZING series of saves by Ward during this PK...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Canes have slain the Bruins in their lair...3-nothing.

:****:

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

BS non-goal call, but besides that, Cam Ward may have 'officially' arrived in my books. I know he won the Conn Smythe and was amazing, but he struggled for seasons after that - and I never really took him too seriously.

But this post-season (and down the stretch), I've seen some incredible things from him.

Not completely sold yet, but this might be a real good sign for Carolina.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:BS non-goal call, but besides that, Cam Ward may have 'officially' arrived in my books. I know he won the Conn Smythe and was amazing, but he struggled for seasons after that - and I never really took him too seriously.

But this post-season (and down the stretch), I've seen some incredible things from him.

Not completely sold yet, but this might be a real good sign for Carolina.

Gee Heater, I guess the fact Ward's a Stanley Cup Champion goalie doesn't impress you either.

Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum