GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Boston Bruins at Carolina Hurricanes, Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 730pm ET

+6
PKC
Hockeyhero22000
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
shabbs
davetherave
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Boston Bruins at Carolina Hurricanes, Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 730pm ET BosBoston at GAME OF THE NIGHT: Boston Bruins at Carolina Hurricanes, Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 730pm ET CarCarolina

GAME THREE, STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS EAST SEMIFINAL
SERIES TIED 1-1

7:30 PM ET, May 6, 2009
RBC Center, Raleigh, North Carolina

TSN/RIS/VERSUS

Bruins-Hurricanes Preview

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- Chad LaRose tried to beat up 6-foot-9 Boston defenseman Zdeno Chara a few months ago, but that didn't quite work.

So once the playoffs started, the 5-10 Carolina forward instead turned to his quickness to outfox the NHL's tallest player, turning a hustling steal of the defenseman's lazy pass into the kind of goal that can swing a series.

Now the breakout player of the Hurricanes' postseason run will be back on home ice Wednesday night for Game 3 of the best-of-seven Eastern Conference semifinals with the Bruins, and he's looking to create more of the highlights that have made him perhaps the NHL's most surprising point-a-game performer in these playoffs.

"I'm just ending up finding the back of the net here and there," LaRose said Tuesday. "I'm playing a role (and) I've kind of had the pressure to do that sort of thing. And I like that role -- if I wasn't producing, then it'd be a problem. Since they're going in, it's going well, and as long as we're getting wins, that's all that matters to me."

With several of his high-profile teammates struggling with their scoring touch in the postseason, the high-energy LaRose has picked up the slack, keeping his career-year numbers rolling right through these playoffs and helping the Hurricanes even the series at one game apiece.

He had career-highs of 19 goals and 31 points during the regular season, then kept it up into May with a team-best six assists in the playoffs. On the team, only All-Star center Eric Staal (nine) has more points this postseason than the eight recorded by LaRose, who has been shifted between both wing positions and shuttled through Carolina's line combinations.

"He's one of those guys that everybody likes to play with," coach Paul Maurice said. "He's excited about playing. He's going to go work his butt off, so he's going to make you look good. He gives you chances to score. He's going to compete and say a few funny things on the bench. ... As we're moving the lines around, 'Guys, you're playing with Chad today,' (the reaction is), 'All right, I'm playing with Chad today -- that's a good thing."

One of the more memorable snapshots of the Hurricanes' regular season came during the Bruins' last visit in February, when the diminutive LaRose mixed it up in the corner with the hulking Chara -- a mismatch no matter how you interpret the tale of the tape.

"I just remember going after him a little bit, but that's all behind us," LaRose said with a smile.

He found a new way to get the better of Chara in the postseason, using his hustle to help turn Game 2 -- and, perhaps, the series -- around for Carolina.

The Bruins trailed 1-0 but were on a second-period power play when LaRose jumped Chara's pass near the blue line. He skated in and set up Matt Cullen's short-handed one-timer that made it a two-goal game.

Before Carolina's 3-0 Game 2 victory, Boston had won its first five playoff games by a combined 20-7, and didn't allow more than two goals in any playoff game.

"I think when teams say they didn't play well, like every other team that's in the playoffs, there's going to be some games where you don't feel you're as good as others -- and that was in all areas," Bruins coach Claude Julien said. "That's why you hear coaches say it's a mindset. I think that's what it was. We were just OK and OK is not enough in the playoffs."

They'll have to get back to what worked so well during Game 1, when they dominated play throughout and took advantage of several Carolina miscues in a 4-1 victory before 2006 Conn Smythe Trophy winner Cam Ward claimed his fourth career playoff shutout and second of this postseason in the second game.

"He's been through it once. He's going through it again," Julien said. "Having said that, right now, I think both goalies have played really well. He definitely was outstanding last game, but we have to be better to make him not look so good and we can do a better job in that regard."

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Looking forward to this one... the Chara/Staal battle has been interesting to watch.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Looking forward to this one... the Chara/Staal battle has been interesting to watch.

should be a good tilt tonight in this one, will Boston be able to get the puck by Ward tonight I wonder.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Boston just needs to stay calm and stick to the game plan. Play that strong Defensive game and the goals will come. I think Boston has the ability to frustrate the Canes even if Ward stands on his head.

- Unknown Author

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The question is...

Will the Canes do to Timmy and the Bs what they did to Marty and Swamp Things?

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

for carolina to win ward has to stand on his head to win this series if he isnt the Bs have to firepower to put them away....that being said dave you raise a good questions if the canes can get into the heads of the Bs they could take this series although i expect a bruin win tonight they will tighten up defensively and they will find a way to get through ward tonight ....this seems like it will be a good long series

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Canes set a trap for the hungry bears who walked right into it...what will the devious minds of Professor Maurice and Ron 'My Dad Was Emile' Francis conjure up tonight?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Let's DO THIS!

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

They shore do like huntin' them bars in Car'lina

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000