GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn?

+15
stempniaksen
rooneypoo
NEELY
spader
Ev
PKC
Cap'n Clutch
LethalLehner
SensFan71
wprager
Urkie
PTFlea
LeCaptain
Cronie
Riprock
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 7]

91Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 7 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:53 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:Stone, Boro and Cowen know NA hockey already. And I'd prefer to see Silfverberg in the NHL right away. They said he was ready last year but he wanted one more go of it in the SEL, and what a year. He's ready now.

Stone knows nothing of pro hockey though and it really can't hurt to have Silfverberg in the AHL learning to pace of the NA pro game. I'm against a lockout as much as the next guy, but if it has to happen, I'm glad there's something good to come of it.

I'd prefer it if Alfie's last year in the league was not an asterisk with stats from Frolunda.

92Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 7 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:08 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Alfredsson wouldn't play in Sweden unless he wants to play in the second division

93Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 7 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 am

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Let's pry Jamie Benn away from Dallas. He's yet to re-sign, and we know Dallas tends to be cheap, and with Eberle and Hall singing long-term $6M deals, it would appear Benn easily could ask for $6M or more. If Dallas can't do it, it would be a huge loss, but a huge gain for another team, and I hope that it would be us.

As a Sen fan I'd only offer prospects and picks. I suppose I could live with throwing in a Greening, since everyone would move down in the depth charts as a result.

94Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 7 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:45 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dallas isn't cheap anymore. This should be evident by bringing in Jagr, Whitney, and Derek Roy. Benn isn't leaving.

95Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 7 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:01 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Interesting. Do you propose a straight trade or an offer sheet? An offer sheet in that range ($5-6.7M) is worth a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Sens are seen as a playoff team, and with Benn in the lineup (his playoff production is usually better than the regular season) that Sens' 1st round pick is a 20th+.

No way Dallas goes for it. They need a quick turnaround and not a 5-year-plan. They had the league's worst attendance last year and have taken steps to address that (Roy, Jagr, Rome, Whitney). If they lose Benn for three picks they take a huge step back.

So, trade, then. Changing that 1st for Greening probably wouldn't be enough. For a rebuilding team, sure, Greening had a great rookie season, he's got size, speed and a hard shot. Not a replacement for Benn, but his contract would leave them a lot more room for the future. But Dallas is in need for a quick turnaround. Even if the team, is sold and moved the value of the franchise with Benn vs. Greening in the lineup is higher, and probably by more than $6M.

Also Benn is a center (or used to be) and in Ottawa he'd be behind Spezza and Turris. Niewendyk has already come out and said that he sees Benn centering Jagr and Eriksonn. Would Benn want to play left-wing in Ottawa (behind Michalek and possibly Latendresse) or stay in Dallas and play center with Jagr and Eriksson?

So, to summarize, I'm not even sure if Benn would sign an offer sheet, and I'm pretty sure that Dallas would match it if he did. And as for a trade, I think it will take more than Greening as the centerpiece of the trade from Ottawa's side. Given Michalek's and Latendresse's injury history I'd love to have Benn in there -- especially in the playoffs -- but we still have Greening and Smith who can both play left-wing.

96Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 7 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:40 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:Dallas isn't cheap anymore. This should be evident by bringing in Jagr, Whitney, and Derek Roy. Benn isn't leaving.

They also do not have a single player making more than $4.6M (Goligoski), so maybe they are cheap in that they won't pay a player more than they think they are worth? Sens might be able to steal him via offer sheet if they offer a lot of money upfront.

The last player the Stars had making over $7M was Richards. They didn't re-sign him. Maybe he didn't want to, maybe they couldn't afford it, but they lost him for nothing.

Stars are at about $54M give or take.

Bryan Murray would probably never submit an offer sheet, so that is out of the question anyways, but he might use that as a guide to what to offer (4 1st round picks would be the max compensation for a huge offer).

My guess it would be: Roster player + 1st round pick + Zibanejad + prospect.

97Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 7 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Riprock wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Dallas isn't cheap anymore. This should be evident by bringing in Jagr, Whitney, and Derek Roy. Benn isn't leaving.

They also do not have a single player making more than $4.6M (Goligoski), so maybe they are cheap in that they won't pay a player more than they think they are worth? Sens might be able to steal him via offer sheet if they offer a lot of money upfront.

The last player the Stars had making over $7M was Richards. They didn't re-sign him. Maybe he didn't want to, maybe they couldn't afford it, but they lost him for nothing.

Stars are at about $54M give or take.

Bryan Murray would probably never submit an offer sheet, so that is out of the question anyways, but he might use that as a guide to what to offer (4 1st round picks would be the max compensation for a huge offer).

My guess it would be: Roster player + 1st round pick + Zibanejad + prospect.

$55M with a roster size of 24. So you're bang on, except I don't think there's much chance they don't sign Benn. Richards was a different story. They made the right move to not re-sign him for a ridiculous amount. He wanted $$$ and limelight. Perhaps they should have traded him at the deadline for something , but they were still in a playoff race.

Right now they need something to win the fans back. Maybe they should have drafted Noeson so as to have a home-town face in the lineup. There's no way they'll get him now.

Anyway, that's my opinion -- they'll match an offer sheet, if given. They'll re-sign him soon(ish) otherwise. Is there a deadline to sign players, given how we're probably headed for a lockout?

98Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 7 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:47 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

For sure they WANT to keep him, they WANT to re-sign him, and likely WILL resign him... I question whether they CAN keep him based on what he will want, given what Eberle and Hall got.

So can Dallas pay him that much or more, and does Benn want to stay there?

99Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 7 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:54 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Riprock wrote:For sure they WANT to keep him, they WANT to re-sign him, and likely WILL resign him... I question whether they CAN keep him based on what he will want, given what Eberle and Hall got.

So can Dallas pay him that much or more, and does Benn want to stay there?

Dallas is a much nicer place to live, though. They are have no personal income tax in Texas. Benn would get to keep a heck of a lot more of that $6M than Eberle will.

100Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 7 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:59 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm shocked someone has fired off a 7 million X 10 year offer sheet his way. This is not your typical player, Benn has the potential to be franchise. And if he never reaches that, he's still gonna be elite.

They better lock him up to guard against a team doing it on Sept.14th.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum