GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline)

+10
beedub
LeCaptain
Riprock
Cronie
wprager
LethalLehner
smash88
Urkie
asq2
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

POLL: Bryan Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline)

POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Vote_lcap234%POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 34% [ 10 ]
POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Vote_lcap214%POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 14% [ 4 ]
POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Vote_lcap217%POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 17% [ 5 ]
POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Vote_lcap228%POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 28% [ 8 ]
POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Vote_lcap23%POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 3% [ 1 ]
POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Vote_lcap23%POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 3% [ 1 ]
POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 29

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Karlsson was a good (can't say great until this guy plays at least a shift, come on) draft pick, but a trade to move up a few draft positions is not really much of a trade. The reason I say that is that there were probably a lot of different ways to move up, so the pick is way more important than the actual trade.

For that reason I went with Shannon. I would have been happy with a bag of pucks, and Shannon is one heck of a bag of pucks.

:##: Me too.

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I too said Shannon... What a speedy guy he is. He might even be faster than Vermette!

But seriously, getting SHannon for Nycholat (who's been added to the waiver wire) is good, but I also wanted to put Ruutu because he didn't wait long to have his presence known.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Cronie wrote:I too said Shannon... What a speedy guy he is. He might even be faster than Vermette!

But seriously, getting SHannon for Nycholat (who's been added to the waiver wire) is good, but I also wanted to put Ruutu because he didn't wait long to have his presence known.

To tell you the truth, I've been mildly disappointed in Ruutu. Not that I was expecting him to score more, but I did expect him to do a little more. Anyhow, not a biggie.

Now, back to Shannon, that kids got a wicked wrister for a guy his size. I've liked what I've seen of him playing the point on the PP. With him and E. Karlsson back there we might have the best powerplay in the league in a couple of years.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I voted Shannon because I can base it on present dividends. He's playing now, and playing well. The guy we traded played minimal time with the NHL team and is now being waived, while Shannon is a 2nd/3rd liner. Clear cut winner.

Karlsson is likely going to be a great NHLer, but until then, we should hold off on calling that a victory for Murray.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:I voted Shannon because I can base it on present dividends. He's playing now, and playing well. The guy we traded played minimal time with the NHL team and is now being waived, while Shannon is a 2nd/3rd liner. Clear cut winner.

Karlsson is likely going to be a great NHLer, but until then, we should hold off on calling that a victory for Murray.

True. But the hope Karlsson brings is good enough for me.

Just reading the history section on HF:

"Karlsson joined Frölunda’s organization for the 200-/08 campaign. He immediately showed his skills and finished the season scoring impressive 13 goals and 37 points in 38 regular season games. He scored most points and assists among all defensemen in the junior league and won the U20 championship. His play in the juniors also contributed to him during the end of the season regularly being a member of Frölunda’s senior team in the SEL. He ended the season being named the top defenseman of the U18 WJC and also scoring most points in the same tournament.

2007-08: Along with 2008 draft eligible Tedenby, Karlsson was part of the U-18 team that won the Junior World Cup in 2007. Additionally, Karlsson was the top-scoring defenseman at the 2008 U-18 WJC and posted a +8 rating, which was a tournament high. This performance won Karlsson the “Best Defenseman” award."

Now fast forward a year, and at the WJHC, at 18, Karlsson leads his team (figuratively and in points and +/-) to silver and wins pretty much every possible award en route except for MVP, which he loses out to Tavares. And he's QBing the first unit of Frolunda's powerplay in the SEL.

I'll take hope for the future, although that's not to belittle Ryan Shannon. :D

21POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Empty Re: POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:15 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

It's not just about the skill, it's about the character, the maturity level , the determination... He is already my favourite Sens and he didn't even play one game. Tim Murray himself said, in his 15 yeara career, he hasn't drafted a player with a better personnality. Try browsing the videos on the Sens website during the draft, its impossible not to like that kid.

22POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Empty Re: POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:36 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Now, back to Shannon, that kids got a wicked wrister for a guy his size. I've liked what I've seen of him playing the point on the PP. With him and E. Karlsson back there we might have the best powerplay in the league in a couple of years.

Not to swing for the fences completely here, but you could have Wiercioch manning the other point, while Shannon mans the half boards and unleashes his little wrister from there.

Sigh...if it all fell into place it would be fun as Dung.

23POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Empty Re: POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:40 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The way I looked at it was: big picture: Karlsson's 100 times more important than Shannon, but I like that Murray identified Shannon as someone he had in Anaheim, liked a lot, brought skill, then traded a journeyman D-man who obviously wasn't going to play for us and brought him over.

The minute he stepped on the ice for us, we got a spark. It coincided with Clouston as well, but it was still one of the neater little trades a GM can make - not to mention that Shannon is an RFA after this year.

Nice asset management for a chance, what a refreshing thought. Smile

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Where you are able to translate what is sure to be a late 1st round pick into an NHL ready young capable defenceman with a negligible cap hit, you've won. Picking up Comrie enables Ottawa to be more aggresive in dealing away one of their plethora of centers.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I said the Comrie Campoli deal because I suspect we get to keep both on reasonable deals for a few years.

- Unknown Author

26POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Empty Re: POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:32 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't get the Comrie acquisition personally. I love him, great little player, but why hasn't Murray re-signed him yet? The hold up makes me a little nervous - not to mention that I also question if Comrie is what the team needs. Possibly actually, but I'll never let go of the Cheechoo Dream.

27POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Empty Re: POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:16 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

beedub wrote:Where you are able to translate what is sure to be a late 1st round pick into an NHL ready young capable defenceman with a negligible cap hit, you've won. Picking up Comrie enables Ottawa to be more aggresive in dealing away one of their plethora of centers.

Speaking of centres, SilverSevenSens has a nice review of our prospects, with rankings from THN and HF:
http://www.silversevensens.com/2009/3/2/776998/prospect-review-cupboard-n

He mentions that 5 of our top 10 prospects (ranked by THN) are centres; plus we have 7 centres in our lineup, three of whom are playing wing.

So, yeah, we could lose a centre or two no problem. Just which two?

28POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Empty Re: POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:17 am

TeamRenzo

Rookie
Rookie

asq2 wrote:
Dash wrote:I voted Shannon because I can base it on present dividends. He's playing now, and playing well. The guy we traded played minimal time with the NHL team and is now being waived, while Shannon is a 2nd/3rd liner. Clear cut winner.

True. But the hope Karlsson brings is good enough for me.

Just reading the history section on HF:

"Karlsson joined Frölunda’s organization for the 200-/08 campaign. He immediately showed his skills and finished the season scoring impressive 13 goals and 37 points in 38 regular season games. He scored most points and assists among all defensemen in the junior league and won the U20 championship. His play in the juniors also contributed to him during the end of the season regularly being a member of Frölunda’s senior team in the SEL. He ended the season being named the top defenseman of the U18 WJC and also scoring most points in the same tournament.

2007-08: Along with 2008 draft eligible Tedenby, Karlsson was part of the U-18 team that won the Junior World Cup in 2007. Additionally, Karlsson was the top-scoring defenseman at the 2008 U-18 WJC and posted a +8 rating, which was a tournament high. This performance won Karlsson the “Best Defenseman” award."

Now fast forward a year, and at the WJHC, at 18, Karlsson leads his team (figuratively and in points and +/-) to silver and wins pretty much every possible award en route except for MVP, which he loses out to Tavares. And he's QBing the first unit of Frolunda's powerplay in the SEL.

I'll take hope for the future, although that's not to belittle Ryan Shannon. :D

Excellent points!

But until I see Karlsson help Ottawa my vote goes for the Shannon deal. I believe in two years I will change my mind to Karlsson.

I beleive Van sent Nycholat down earlier this week.

29POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Empty Re: POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:24 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Speaking of centres, SilverSevenSens has a nice review of our prospects, with rankings from THN and HF:
http://www.silversevensens.com/2009/3/2/776998/prospect-review-cupboard-n

He mentions that 5 of our top 10 prospects (ranked by THN) are centres; plus we have 7 centres in our lineup, three of whom are playing wing.

So, yeah, we could lose a centre or two no problem. Just which two?

That's bookmark worthy. Although the bookmarks that are below the first set - I rarely get to.

30POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) - Page 2 Empty Re: POLL: Murray's best move (PRE-Deadline) Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:15 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

New choice for best move: not picking up Avery.

Sp00nz

Sp00nz
Rookie
Rookie

dennycrane wrote:New choice for best move: not picking up Avery.

I can't wait for the Avery pickup to blowup in Sather's face.

He already jacked up the dollar value for defenseman by giving Redden that insane contract. Not to mention how he turned an Oilers team that could have won more cups into a basement dweller for years to come.

Diddle Sather

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum