GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Heat's On Heatley

+16
wprager
TeamRenzo
jamvan
Jordo
TheAvatar
The Silfer Server
PTFlea
LeCaptain
dennycrane
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
Cronie
beedub
PKC
Cap'n Clutch
davetherave
20 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What should the Sens do with Dany Heatley?

The Heat's On Heatley Vote_lcap210%The Heat's On Heatley Vote_rcap2 10% [ 3 ]
The Heat's On Heatley Vote_lcap223%The Heat's On Heatley Vote_rcap2 23% [ 7 ]
The Heat's On Heatley Vote_lcap20%The Heat's On Heatley Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
The Heat's On Heatley Vote_lcap232%The Heat's On Heatley Vote_rcap2 32% [ 10 ]
The Heat's On Heatley Vote_lcap26%The Heat's On Heatley Vote_rcap2 6% [ 2 ]
The Heat's On Heatley Vote_lcap20%The Heat's On Heatley Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
The Heat's On Heatley Vote_lcap229%The Heat's On Heatley Vote_rcap2 29% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 31

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1The Heat's On Heatley Empty The Heat's On Heatley Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:23 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

These days it seems being a regular 40-plus goal scorer just isn't enough. Dany Heatley has attracted an increasing amount of criticism this year as the Senators have struggled--and his production has dropped off.

Being in the top 5 most highly paid NHL players (only Ovechkin, Crosby, Sundin and Brad Richards are a bigger cap hit), Heatley is expected to deliver accordingly as an impact player.

Some are questioning his value to the Senators--given their massive investment in him as the team's biggest salary. There are even calls to trade Dany Heatley--his NTC notwithstanding.

As The Sun's Chris Stevenson reports this morning, when questions about Dany's performance come from Coach Cory Clouston, the heat on Heatley is being turned up.

Have a read--what do YOU think?

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2009/02/10/8330826-sun.html

Sniper snipes at assessment

Heatley disagrees with Clouston's view that winger has 'got a ways to go' in Sens' new system

By CHRIS STEVENSON, SUN MEDIA February 10 2009

Senators star winger Dany Heatley is at odds with new coach Cory Clouston over how well Heatley is grasping the new system Clouston is trying to implement. Heatley, who has 22 goals, is on pace for his lowest total in a full season since his rookie year.

New Senators coach Cory Clouston would need a couple of phone books to literally see eye-to-eye with lanky winger Dany Heatley.

Turns out the two aren't figuratively seeing eye-to-eye, either, when it comes to how Heatley is playing since Clouston took over the club from fired Craig Hartsburg just over a week ago.

When asked to assess Heatley's play yesterday, Clouston said:

"He's got a ways to go. He's learning a new system, it's a lot more of a pressure system. He's got to move his feet a little more. But he's getting there, he's getting close.

"My assessment might be different than other people's. He's not where we want him to be and neither is the whole team in general. He's not different. Some guys take a little bit longer. He's obviously not used to a pressure game and being in exact spots where we want him to be. Sometimes it may look like he's not skating when actually he's trying to think a little more rather than react," said Clouston.

"For it to come naturally, it may take some guys a little bit longer. He's not the only guy every once in a while we've noticed, especially on video, you can see it's not quite there, it's not quite in a habitual form for them, sometimes they have to think a little bit more than we would like them to do. Again, it's only been two or three practices. It's coming."

When the subject was brought up to Heatley, he disagreed with the coach's view.

Here's how the question was phrased:

Q: Cory says he doesn't think your game is where it's usually at or where it should probably be at. He thinks maybe you're pressing too much. Is that fair?

Heatley replied: "No. I don't feel that way right now. I think I'm just trying to shoot the puck. I've had some good chances, like I said, last game, and it's kind of funny. The way I go, if a goal goes in and you play horribly, you guys all say everything is great and if you play well and the puck doesn't go in, you're playing bad, so ... I'm just going to keep trying to shoot the puck and eventually they'll go in."

NOT A MEDIA FAN
Heatley has always bristled at criticism from us great unwashed in the media -- we apparently only look to see who's scoring goals to see who's playing well -- but there is no misunderstanding his coach's assessment.

Heatley's play needs to improve and the coach was not talking about scoring goals here, though that would help.

Heatley has 22 this season (eight in his last 26 games) and is on pace to score 36, which would be his lowest total for a full season since his rookie year with Atlanta in 2001-02, when he had 26.

Bad seasons happen and Heatley isn't alone on the Senators this year.

"Everybody's numbers aren't there," said Jason Spezza, Heatley's linemate. "We haven't won very many games as a team. When the team struggles and we have 125 goals or whatever it is, everybody is going to be down. If everybody's numbers were where they should be, we wouldn't be talking about it, we'd be in first place. It goes with the territory. When the team has a bad year, individuals do, too, usually."

Clouston, who will take his team on the road today for a five-games-in-seven-days trip starting tomorrow night in Buffalo for a rematch with the Sabres, said he's encouraged by what he's seen from his club, which has a 1-1-1 record since he arrived.

"A nice progression," he called it. "I guess we've showed there is actually a lot character in that dressing room. We've battled from a 2-0 deficit (against Boston), we got up 2-0 as well (against Buffalo on Saturday) with all the momentum against us and we didn't break. Once they scored (the Sabres) second goal we turned the play back on and applied a lot more pressure to them and had opportunities to score in regulation."

"The general feeling is it's going a little better around here," said Spezza.

For most.

2The Heat's On Heatley Empty Re: The Heat's On Heatley Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:57 am

He is sounding more and more like a guy who wants out.

Just a point of clarification davetherave: Going by salary, Heatley is the leagues highest paid player this season. The league's only $10 million salary.

3The Heat's On Heatley Empty Re: The Heat's On Heatley Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:07 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Heatley needs to suck it up here. Don't get defensive and snippy with the media. If you have a problem with the coaches assesment (which I don't) then tell him yourself. What a freakin' baby.

- Unknown Author

4The Heat's On Heatley Empty Re: The Heat's On Heatley Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:15 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Why would he have a problem with the coach's assessment when it's evident that he's playing like garbage this year.

Good for Clouston...not afraid to chew out the big guy but keep in tone too.

5The Heat's On Heatley Empty Re: The Heat's On Heatley Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:19 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I think this is another case of a really good player who can't or won't produce for the Ottawa Senators.

They need to find out from Heatley which teams he'd consider moving to and get as much as you can.

They don't have to move him, they would just be better served by moving him

6The Heat's On Heatley Empty Re: The Heat's On Heatley Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:25 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think Clouston deserves praise for not being afraid to take a stand and trying to ignite Heatley's fire and get him going again...
Although, Heatley's reaction is slowly moving him into Sydney Crosby whinning territory, which quite frankly I want NO part of...

Whie moving a 40 -50 goal scorer will hurt, if they can get a NICE return for someone who TRULY wants to be here and can put the team first, then at this point, do it.

I must say, I'm a little in shock... what a freakin' baby-la-la!!

7The Heat's On Heatley Empty Re: The Heat's On Heatley Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:26 am

He wants out, big time.

He has been playing like that for a long time. Its time to trim the fat in Ottawa and he def is a large part of that group. GET HIM THE HELL OUT OF OTTAWA!

Good for Clouston!

8The Heat's On Heatley Empty Re: The Heat's On Heatley Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:34 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Change his song from "The Heat is On" to "I Want Out" by Helloween.

9The Heat's On Heatley Empty Re: The Heat's On Heatley Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:36 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I voted to have Coach Cory light a fire under his Donkey. From the first day of the season he's been all talk no action. First I would strip him of the A because he's far from being a leader (why did he get the A again over Fisher and Smith?? ?? ??). Then I would spend some one on one time with him and have him drill puck after puck after puck into the net. I'm not sure what else, but something's gotta give with this guy. As much as I love him and as some would say "goal scorers don't grow on trees", if things don't shape up with him, it's time for him to be moved, or given a lesser role.

10The Heat's On Heatley Empty Re: The Heat's On Heatley Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:42 am

You hear things like this and you wonder why this team is the way it is. Can Murray just blow it up already... its a mess in Ottawa!

A week in and Clouston is being questioned by a player... "we are not coach killers" Alfi. We? maybe not, but there are a few guys that are that shouldnt be put in that collective!

11The Heat's On Heatley Empty Re: The Heat's On Heatley Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:28 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Change his song from "The Heat is On" to "I Want Out" by Helloween.

Sweet! I love Helloween... Kudos SSF.

While it goes without saying losing Heater could potentially sink the Sens in terms of scoring, I don't want anybody who's not earning their keep and acting as an anchor... you want out Heater, say the word and I'm sure Murray will oblige...

12The Heat's On Heatley Empty Re: The Heat's On Heatley Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:33 am

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

The Sens have 7 players under contract for the 10-11 season, for a cap hit of 30 million. That is the season where the cap is expected to drop by a great deal, potentially to 50 million.

Whether or not Murray wants to move Heatley, I think he has to move Heatley. If he waits until the summer of 2010, he will get less of a return.

13The Heat's On Heatley Empty Re: The Heat's On Heatley Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:57 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Enough. Goodbye Mr 50 goals.

14The Heat's On Heatley Empty Re: The Heat's On Heatley Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:02 am

The Heat is gone.... The Heat is goooo nnnne

15The Heat's On Heatley Empty Re: The Heat's On Heatley Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:32 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Clouston has it under control. He's outlined what he thinks areas to improve are - and Heatley will listen. He hated Hartsburg's system so much, there's gonna be at least another 3-5 games before he gets back into the groove.

If Heatley thinks his game is A-OK, he'll be watching hours of tape with Clouston this morning.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum