GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL 2009 Draft question

+10
PTFlea
Jordo
Acrobat
rooneypoo
Cronie
Phoenix30
asq2
Riprock
caissie_1
PKC
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

1NHL 2009 Draft question Empty NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:06 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Hey guys, I'm looking for some perspective here. Assuming the Sens land in the 1-9 pick this upcoming draft, how many of those players -- the ones projected to be in those slots -- will be ready to play in the NHL starting next year and possibly have an impact?

A list of the current projected top 9:

per TSN

1. Viktor Hedman
2. John Tavares
3. Jared Cowen
4. Matt Duchene
5. Brayden Schenn
6. Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi
7. Nazem Kadri
8. Jordan Schroeder
9. Evander Kane

per HF

1. John Tavares
2. Viktor Hedman
3. Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi
4. Jared Cowen
5. Matt Duchene
6. Evander Kane
7. Brayden Schenn
8. Jordan Schroeder
9. Nazim Kadri

2NHL 2009 Draft question Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:29 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

IMO, Tavares, Hedman and MSP will be nhl ready. I dont really no the other players so i couldnt tell you.

3NHL 2009 Draft question Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

It really all comes down to the team picking. A player one might not consider NHL ready in say Ottawa might be in NYI.

If Duchene makes the jump to the NHL next year, I have to feel for Brampton, who\'ll be without their top 3 in that case. Even with Duche it\'s a huge loss (assuming Grachev leaves as well?).

EDIT:
Also, teams that are deep enough that they can afford to hold off on tossing the young player into the fold, often benefits the player playing out the remainder of his CHL//USHL/ECHL eligibility. IMO Stamkos could have benefited from another year in the \"O\". He\'d be playing top minutes and Tampa would be at no loss, if anything they\'d be worse than where they are, which is not very far from the bottom. It could very well have meant another top 5 pick, which they surely could use to round out their defence.

Last edited by DashRiprock on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

4NHL 2009 Draft question Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:36 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Hedman and Tavares are ready to go. Tavares especially has learned all he can in the CHL. Jordan Schroeder and Jared Cowen, too, are probably guys who could step into the NHL next season. Cowen, however, is undergoing pretty serious surgery which could be a set-back. His defensive game, like Luke Schenn's, is already at an absurdly high level for a junior, so he should be an effective player somewhat quickly on.

I have a suspicion that Schroeder will be a productive player from the get-go, similar (though worse) to P. Kane.

Kadri and Kane are probably the least ready to go IMO, but I think Schenn could benefit from another year in Junior as well and MSP could stand more time in the SEL, although I think the amount (or lack) of ice-time he gets currently might be poor for his development.

As far as Duchene goes, I can't really say. He's the best of the forward bunch defensively and he's speedy as can be, but I think he needs to bulk up.

With any of these players, it depends on their off-season, but when watching Tavares you can tell that he's really worked on his fitness levels. Hedman at 6'6, 230 shouldn't have any problems either, Schroeder seems in pretty good shape and MSP seems to have that rare, wonderful Ovechkin/Hossa build with great strength, great open-ice speed and great two-step acceleration.

As far as making an impact, MSP might be the farthest away until he develops a better shot. But his upside, because of his build, vision and skill, might be the highest among the forwards. I think Tavares and Schroeder will probably be the most productive in the beginning but probably won't dominate the game in other areas.

Schenn and Kane when all is said and done will very likely be the most physical of the two forwards but could stand to fill out their frames and bulk up. They're younger than guys like Hedman or Tavares, though.

Personally, I can't believe TSN has Schenn that high. My list (although keep in mind this is in constructing the Sens draft board):

1. Hedman
2. Tavares
3. Duchene
4. MSP
5. Cowen
6. Kane
7. Schroeder
8. Schenn
9. Kadri

Last edited by asq2 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

5NHL 2009 Draft question Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:37 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

The question is being asked from the Sens point of view. I want to know how many of the current top 9 projected guys right now can or will step into the Sens lineup next season.

6NHL 2009 Draft question Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:39 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:The question is being asked from the Sens point of view. I want to know how many of the current top 9 projected guys right now can or will step into the Sens lineup next season.

But should that be our criterion?

Guys like Duchene and MSP are probably not as NHL-ready as a guy like Schroeder in my opinion but look to be better in the long-run.

7NHL 2009 Draft question Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:41 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Hedman and/or Tavares could play on the Sens next year. Depending on who is in and out from the team as well would make a big difference.

You have to think guys like Bass, Regin, Zubov are all going to get first consideration for a job.

I have to wonder how Tavares' injuries are going to affect his status.

8NHL 2009 Draft question Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:43 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

DashRiprock wrote:Hedman and/or Tavares could play on the Sens next year. Depending on who is in and out from the team as well would make a big difference.

You have to think guys like Bass, Regin, Zubov are all going to get first consideration for a job.

I have to wonder how Tavares' injuries are going to affect his status.

Tavares, Hedman, Cowen and Schroeder are good to go IMO, although as you said Tavares has been suffering from injury (and to a greater extent, Cowen).

Speaking of Tavares' injury, Taylor Hall blows me away with how good he is. A Canadian Pavel Bure.

9NHL 2009 Draft question Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:44 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
PKC wrote:The question is being asked from the Sens point of view. I want to know how many of the current top 9 projected guys right now can or will step into the Sens lineup next season.

Guys like Duchene and MSP are probably not as NHL-ready as a guy like Schroeder in my opinion but look to be better in the long-run.

That's not my question. I'm not saying we should draft only the players who can step in and play next year. I'm asking, given the depth of this draft, and assuming the Sens are picking somewhere from 1-9 how many of the players have a chance to be on the roster next season and what might their impact (ie. depth position) be?

10NHL 2009 Draft question Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:51 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:
asq2 wrote:

That's not my question. I'm not saying we should draft only the players who can step in and play next year. I'm asking, given the depth of this draft, and assuming the Sens are picking somewhere from 1-9 how many of the players have a chance to be on the roster next season and what might their impact (ie. depth position) be?

Alright, I was jumping to conclusions there.

I've given my opinion of who is NHL-ready, but it's hard to tell what a player's immediate impact will be.

Duchene seems to me similar to Stamkos, so he might not make an immediate impact if we judge him based on Stamkos' NHL performance thus far. Cowen is quite a bit like Luke Schenn and Schroeder quite a bit like Patrick Kane, so they could make more of an immediate impact (Cowen's injury's affect to be determined).

Players similar to Tavares and Hedman haven't entered the league in quite a while, so it's hard to reference another player.

Kadri, Kane and Schenn (despite their potential to be powerforwards) IMO aren't physically ready (like Duchene) and need to bulk up, so they probably should go back to Junior.

MSP has the perfect build and is physically ready but until he develops his shot might not be very productive.

11NHL 2009 Draft question Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:57 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Excellent analysis asq2. Should be extremely interesting to see where the Sens pick given that they most likely won't draft in the top 2 or 3.

12NHL 2009 Draft question Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:02 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Picking at #3 terrifies me. A really tough selection to make, because there isn't much of a consensus. I'd love to pick MSP there but if you stack up Duchene's attributes, he seems to be the better choice.

Definitely exciting though. I think all of these prospects have the potential to be very good (though I'm not crazy about Kadri). As long as we're picking in this area, we should do just fine.

13NHL 2009 Draft question Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:28 pm

Kadri won't go in the top 10...

14NHL 2009 Draft question Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:08 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:Picking at #3 terrifies me. A really tough selection to make, because there isn't much of a consensus. I'd love to pick MSP there but if you stack up Duchene's attributes, he seems to be the better choice.

Definitely exciting though. I think all of these prospects have the potential to be very good (though I'm not crazy about Kadri). As long as we're picking in this area, we should do just fine.

I think 3 is a great spot. It gives you the opportunity to trade down and pick up some great players and picks if you think you can still pick someone you want.

15NHL 2009 Draft question Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:14 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Phoenix30 wrote:
asq2 wrote:Picking at #3 terrifies me. A really tough selection to make, because there isn't much of a consensus. I'd love to pick MSP there but if you stack up Duchene's attributes, he seems to be the better choice.

I think 3 is a great spot. It gives you the opportunity to trade down and pick up some great players and picks if you think you can still pick someone you want.

Agreed. We could trade down to 6th or 7th and get another pick and still get a great player. But we migth be tempted to also keep it and not have to worry about someone else taking the player.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 10]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum