GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL 2009 Draft question

+10
PTFlea
Jordo
Acrobat
rooneypoo
Cronie
Phoenix30
asq2
Riprock
caissie_1
PKC
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 10]

106NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 8 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:54 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

DashRiprock wrote:Duchene had another two goal performance today vs. Mississauga, one shorthanded.

D@mn he'd look nice with Spezza as a 1-2 punch going forward.

Ah well, I suppose winning a few more games this season is more important.

107NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 8 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:56 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Also, per NHL.com Tavares' recent over-time winner was his 200th OHL goal.

108NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 8 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:59 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Well, Duchene could very well go anywhere between 3rd overall to 10th overall, so finishing 5th or lower is decent enough if you are the Sens. I'd prefer to finish with the first overall pick, but it's no guarantee, but at least you have a (albeit slim) shot at moving up to 1st, and still have a decent pick (Cowen, Duchene, Kane, Schenn, MSP?).

Too bad the Sens are looking like they Leafs of the later half of last season.

109NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 8 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:03 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

DashRiprock wrote:Well, Duchene could very well go anywhere between 3rd overall to 10th overall, so finishing 5th or lower is decent enough if you are the Sens. I'd prefer to finish with the first overall pick, but it's no guarantee, but at least you have a (albeit slim) shot at moving up to 1st, and still have a decent pick (Cowen, Duchene, Kane, Schenn, MSP?).

Too bad the Sens are looking like they Leafs of the later half of last season.

Pretty much every list has him at #3 now.

Although I do see N4L's point that the Bolts might be more tempted to take Cowen or IMO a winger like MSP.

Anyway, Duchene's not the be-all, end-all but I'd rather be in that range than in the teens.

110NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 8 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:46 pm

I'd pick MSP over Duchene, but that's just me it looks.

111NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 8 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:53 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Tukker wrote:I'd pick MSP over Duchene, but that's just me it looks.

MSP is still my favourite player in the draft, but if you stack up the respective of the assets that each player possesses, Duchene seems the better pick.

Duchene is better defensively, equally as fast, almost as good a play-maker and a significantly better sniper IMO.

I also value centres over wingers. And while Duchene apparently is a good leader and wears the A for Brampton (which Hodgson captains), MSP I'm not sure of. That comment before the Canada - Sweden game was pretty strange.

I love watching MSP play. He's so fast and strong - like a bigger Hossa. Very few players can get to the net with the puck like he can. He's a great play-maker too.

I'd take MSP at #4, and I think he has more ultimate potential than Duchene or even Tavares, but Duchene is the safer pick IMO.

Still, walk out of the draft with MSP and I'm a happy Sens fan.

112NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 8 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:57 pm

I LOVE that comment before the Canada game, haha. He was right, and he spoke with confidence, nothing wrong with that at all.

I like guys who are humble but also speak with confidence, Swedes tend to have a good mixture of that. I just hope we end up with a Swede this draft, haha.

113NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 8 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:03 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

i hope for MSP we are already starting to build up a good swedish base as well with karlsson and peterson coming along soon

114NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 8 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:06 pm

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:i hope for MSP we are already starting to build up a good swedish base as well with karlsson and peterson coming along soon

This may be an odd question, but who is in your avatar?

115NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 8 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:07 pm

I think what MSP could be to Spezza is what Federov was to Yzerman, Foresberg to Sakic, so on. Neither are on the same levels, and Im still not crazy about Spezza, but that will eventually open things up for him. I just really hope we can deal HEatley out west for some prospects and solid picks along with one solid NHLer.

That would be ideal.

116NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 8 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:16 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:I think what MSP could be to Spezza is what Federov was to Yzerman, Foresberg to Sakic, so on. Neither are on the same levels, and Im still not crazy about Spezza, but that will eventually open things up for him. I just really hope we can deal HEatley out west for some prospects and solid picks along with one solid NHLer.

That would be ideal.

I think, though, that if Duchene really can bring a Toews-like game to the NHL, he'd be a pretty damn good complement to Spezza as well.

With that pick, I want to try to ensure either that we can build two strong scoring lines or that we have a #1 defenceman going forward.

I agree, though, that MSP would open up a lot for Spezza because of his combination of speed, strength and skill.

117NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 8 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:42 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

Blazer wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:i hope for MSP we are already starting to build up a good swedish base as well with karlsson and peterson coming along soon

This may be an odd question, but who is in your avatar?

Thats just me from 3 years ago

118NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 8 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:59 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

There's pros and cons to a lot of the Top 8. B.Schenn, Schroeder, these are all powerful young men who are gonna be Fisher + (that's the hope anyway).

119NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 8 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:54 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:There's pros and cons to a lot of the Top 8. B.Schenn, Schroeder, these are all powerful young men who are gonna be Fisher + (that's the hope anyway).

I think you mean Kane? He's the other powerforward centre in this draft.

Schroeder will never be confused with a powerforward, but he's got unbelievable offensive ability.

120NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 8 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:31 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

My new list goes:

Hedman, Tavares, Duchene, MSP

My late round hopeful steals are:
Peter Holland and/or Roy or Pasquale, or Despres.

121NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 8 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:07 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I admit I don't know too much about this Magnus SP kid (MSP). I do see MSP this and MSP that, and I am hoping that it's just not the catchy moniker.

Did he play at the juniors?

122NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 8 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:13 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

now call me ignorant, with regards to the top selections at this year's draft, but Tavares, I have seen him play and he strikes me as a Heatley-style sniper. Not bad to have, but certainly not Ovechkin or Crosby level. Hedman, as I understand it is one or two major concussions away from being a non player. A rugged defenceman is bound to get a concussion pretty quickly. Why the big hubbub, I do not know

What we need is a big, rangy forward with decent speed, good hands, better elbows, and a badass attitude, or a defenceman who is the same. What do you think, and who do you recommend, as I don't know this year's crop very well.

123NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 8 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:16 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

beedub wrote:now call me ignorant, with regards to the top selections at this year's draft, but Tavares, I have seen him play and he strikes me as a Heatley-style sniper. Not bad to have, but certainly not Ovechkin or Crosby level. Hedman, as I understand it is one or two major concussions away from being a non player. A rugged defenceman is bound to get a concussion pretty quickly. Why the big hubbub, I do not know

What we need is a big, rangy forward with decent speed, good hands, better elbows, and a badass attitude, or a defenceman who is the same. What do you think, and who do you recommend, as I don't know this year's crop very well.

What? How is that not the case for every player?

Tavares is the best goal-scoring prospect since Ovechkin. He could score 60 at the NHL level. He's Heatley with better hands and stick-handling.

Brayden Schenn is the closest thing to what you've described, and Zack Kassian later, but neither come close to Hedman or Tavares.

Who on the Wings fits that description?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum