GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL 2009 Draft question

+10
PTFlea
Jordo
Acrobat
rooneypoo
Cronie
Phoenix30
asq2
Riprock
caissie_1
PKC
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 10]

91NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:44 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Watched the Brampton - Oshawa game today.

That Matt Duchene is something special. When I've watched him before, and he's shown he's a great sniper with tremendous speed, but the kid has play-making instincts as well. 3 assists today. He's also a regular PKer.

I think at this point, with Cowen's injury, Duchene should be considered the clear-cut number 3.

I'm hoping to catch Tavares and Kadri tonight as well.

92NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:35 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

I was at the game, not watching through a viewfinder this time.

Brampton vs. London this Thursday.

93NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:09 pm

asq2 wrote:Watched the Brampton - Oshawa game today.

That Matt Duchene is something special. When I've watched him before, and he's shown he's a great sniper with tremendous speed, but the kid has play-making instincts as well. 3 assists today. He's also a regular PKer.

I think at this point, with Cowen's injury, Duchene should be considered the clear-cut number 3.

Works the PK too? Nice!

94NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:09 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:

Works the PK too? Nice!

Most scouting reports suggest Duchene is the best defensively of all of the top forwards in this draft. Some suggest Toews comparisons.

He'd be an ideal complement to Spezza IMO, but our turn-around might not allow that to happen.

I tells ya, if Tavares hadn't put in that training in the off-season to increase his strength, Duchene might be considered the better of the two.

I didn't get to watch the London game, though. Disappointing. It's hard to find coverage.

95NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:16 pm

If Murray likes him and we are drafting in the top 5 or 6, he will get him. If Murray has a top 5 pick, he will get the best player aside from Hedman and Tavares... even then he still might.

96NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:28 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Works the PK too? Nice!

Most scouting reports suggest Duchene is the best defensively of all of the top forwards in this draft. Some suggest Toews comparisons.

He'd be an ideal complement to Spezza IMO, but our turn-around might not allow that to happen.

I tells ya, if Tavares hadn't put in that training in the off-season to increase his strength, Duchene might be considered the better of the two.

I didn't get to watch the London game, though. Disappointing. It's hard to find coverage.

Aren't you in Ottawa? It was on Sporstnet.

97NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:38 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:If Murray likes him and we are drafting in the top 5 or 6, he will get him. If Murray has a top 5 pick, he will get the best player aside from Hedman and Tavares... even then he still might.

Duchene is rapidly emerging as the consensus #3 pick. Now pretty much every list has him there.

We'd have to trade up to get him, and I don't know how easy that is at that point in the draft.

98NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:39 pm

Depends who is drafting, say it is Tampa... do you really see tampa taking ANOTHER forward? They may very well draft Cowen.

99NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:40 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:
asq2 wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Works the PK too? Nice!

Aren't you in Ottawa? It was on Sporstnet.

Yeah, but at the last minute, without warning, I became otherwise engaged as a host. Sad

Ah well. Tavares will be in an Islanders jersey anyway. Kadri might be more our range though.

100NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:42 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:Depends who is drafting, say it is Tampa... do you really see tampa taking ANOTHER forward? They may very well draft Cowen.

Cowen might fall because of his injury.

If that's the case, Murray has to take advantage by moving up to try to grab him.

If he can grab a high-profile forward at the draft and Cowen, a statue could be built in his honour.

Walking out of the draft with Cowen alone would be very nice in itself.

101NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:43 pm

it would, but i can def see Tampa moving that pick for help on the back end. There are a few teams that need to get better now and have a lot of their best players already up front,

102NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:47 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:it would, but i can def see Tampa moving that pick for help on the back end. There are a few teams that need to get better now and have a lot of their best players already up front,

On the other hand, you can take Duchene, have a one-two centre punch of Stamkos and Duchene going forward and move Vinny and St. Louis for help on the back-end to complement their franchise d-man in Andrej Meszaros. Wink Razz

Alternatively, Tampa might be looking at MSP to play Forsberg to Stamkos' Sakic.

103NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:50 pm

Who knows, either way, I have 100% faith in Murray that he can get the player he really wants.

104NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:51 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I hope so.

105NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:51 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Duchene had another two goal performance today vs. Mississauga, one shorthanded.

106NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:54 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

DashRiprock wrote:Duchene had another two goal performance today vs. Mississauga, one shorthanded.

D@mn he'd look nice with Spezza as a 1-2 punch going forward.

Ah well, I suppose winning a few more games this season is more important.

107NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:56 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Also, per NHL.com Tavares' recent over-time winner was his 200th OHL goal.

108NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:59 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Well, Duchene could very well go anywhere between 3rd overall to 10th overall, so finishing 5th or lower is decent enough if you are the Sens. I'd prefer to finish with the first overall pick, but it's no guarantee, but at least you have a (albeit slim) shot at moving up to 1st, and still have a decent pick (Cowen, Duchene, Kane, Schenn, MSP?).

Too bad the Sens are looking like they Leafs of the later half of last season.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum