GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL 2009 Draft question

+10
PTFlea
Jordo
Acrobat
rooneypoo
Cronie
Phoenix30
asq2
Riprock
caissie_1
PKC
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 10]

76NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 6 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:51 pm

The 1 thing the Sens have never truly had is a power forward. People might say Heatley, but he is a lot more finess than anything.

Would love to see a mean mother in black and red soon.

77NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 6 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:43 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:The 1 thing the Sens have never truly had is a power forward. People might say Heatley, but he is a lot more finess than anything.

Brayden Schenn and Zack Kassian fit the bill in that regard.

What are your criteria though? Because Fisher and to a certain extent Alfredsson have some powerforward characteristics IMO.

78NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 6 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:47 pm

asq2 wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:The 1 thing the Sens have never truly had is a power forward. People might say Heatley, but he is a lot more finess than anything.

Brayden Schenn and Zack Kassian fit the bill in that regard.

What are your criteria though? Because Fisher and to a certain extent Alfredsson have some powerforward characteristics IMO.

I was looking at Kssian and I think thats the kid that Murray would want on the wing in Ottawa eventually. I dont watch enough OHL hockey to really get an idea of what he bring, but I would love to know.

I like Fisher as a PF but more of a mean streak. Basically a dirty player who can back it all up with some skill. Someone who when you see him play you go "wow, thats was really uncalled for", and not much the other team can do about it. Then he pops one, haha.

79NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 6 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:18 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

What was Getzlaf's ISS ranking in the 2003 draft?

80NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 6 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:48 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:What was Getzlaf's ISS ranking in the 2003 draft?

I don't know, but I can't imagine it did him justice.

Apparently as a junior player Getzlaf was pretty lazy on the ice at times. His nickname, IIRC, was Getzloaf.

81NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 6 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:16 pm

Pasquale is not a good goalie from all I've seen of him. Roy and leaher(sp?) would both probably be better goalie picks

82NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 6 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:21 pm

Last year's can't miss, Markstrom, we missed (pretty good miss, I think 8) )...
This year's goalie draft class is largely forgetable, I think. There's nothing I can see worth taking in the first 3 rounds. That being said, we all know that forecasting that position is damn near impossible... I just don't see any can't miss goalies this year.

83NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 6 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:28 pm

Haha, ya, the cant miss goalie from the 03 draft seems to be Elliott, not the guy taken number 1 overall.

No one on this planet knows who the next great goalie is because 1/2 of that position is mental and the other 1/2 is hard work. These things change when players that are shooting on you are better, either in a positive or negative sense.

The next big thing is a guy that we dont have never heard of, or if we have, no one see's it coming. Except Elliott of course... haha

84NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 6 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:47 pm

That may have been largely true in the past, but I'm thinking the SJS method has spread a little further through the league and we'll start seeing more rational picks at the goalie position.
Markstrom is one of those examples...I knew it then as I know it now: He is going to be a good NHL goaltender.

85NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 6 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:24 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:That may have been largely true in the past, but I'm thinking the SJS method has spread a little further through the league and we'll start seeing more rational picks at the goalie position.
Markstrom is one of those examples...I knew it then as I know it now: He is going to be a good NHL goaltender.

Markstrom is fantastic.

To this day, I do not understand the Wings taking McCollum over him. To a lesser extent, I don't understand the Preds taking Picard over him.

Markstrom is further ahead in his development than Lundqvist was at his age.

86NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 6 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:39 pm

Thats some pretty high praise and I agree with it.

Imo Pickard rode Carey Price's coattails right into the first round...I really don't see him being an NHL #1 but, again, its pretty impossible to say for sure... I just don't see it.

87NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 6 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:03 pm

How can a goalie ride coattails? I could see how having a great team infront of you could help, but I struggle to understand one goalie increasing anothers stock.

Not trying to argue, just looking for clarification.

88NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 6 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:12 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
marakh wrote:What was Getzlaf's ISS ranking in the 2003 draft?

I don't know, but I can't imagine it did him justice.

Apparently as a junior player Getzlaf was pretty lazy on the ice at times. His nickname, IIRC, was Getzloaf.

I found this:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/6085/ducks2003_draft_review/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/news/2003/06/19/prospect_capsules/

Mike RIchards 30th just in North AMerica???
Murray, Find us something!

EDIT: I can't believe Shea WEber is not even there...

89NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 6 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:00 pm

Tukker wrote:How can a goalie ride coattails? I could see how having a great team infront of you could help, but I struggle to understand one goalie increasing anothers stock.

Not trying to argue, just looking for clarification.
Price was doing big things in the NHL and people were hyping him as the next Brodeur/Roy/blah blah blah... And Pickard was doing exactly what Price was doing when he was his age. The mere fact that he went ahead of Markstrom should prove my point (just saying) but obviously Pickard is no piece of Dung himself... My point is really that I don't foresee him being a can't miss prospect, whereas Markstrom Imo was.
Pickard will almost assuredly make the NHL one day, but his ability to play the role of number 1 is highly in question Imo.

As asq said: Detroit not taking him either says a hell of a lot about McCollum or it serves as more evidence that the only position Detroit isn't golden in drafting is the goaltender position. Really, its all about development and mentality, anyways, so its tough to criticize any of the choices. From my pov though, skipping over Markstrom was a terrible idea, but in Ottawa's case they made up for it beautifully Smile

90NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 6 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:06 pm

How can a goalie ride coat tails? lol, ask Emery.

91NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 6 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:44 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Watched the Brampton - Oshawa game today.

That Matt Duchene is something special. When I've watched him before, and he's shown he's a great sniper with tremendous speed, but the kid has play-making instincts as well. 3 assists today. He's also a regular PKer.

I think at this point, with Cowen's injury, Duchene should be considered the clear-cut number 3.

I'm hoping to catch Tavares and Kadri tonight as well.

92NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 6 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:35 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I was at the game, not watching through a viewfinder this time.

Brampton vs. London this Thursday.

93NHL 2009 Draft question - Page 6 Empty Re: NHL 2009 Draft question Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:09 pm

asq2 wrote:Watched the Brampton - Oshawa game today.

That Matt Duchene is something special. When I've watched him before, and he's shown he's a great sniper with tremendous speed, but the kid has play-making instincts as well. 3 assists today. He's also a regular PKer.

I think at this point, with Cowen's injury, Duchene should be considered the clear-cut number 3.

I'm hoping to catch Tavares and Kadri tonight as well.

Works the PK too? Nice!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum