GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vanek to miss 5 weeks

+6
rooneypoo
Cap'n Clutch
caissie_1
PTFlea
PKC
SensGirl11
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

31Vanek to miss 5 weeks - Page 3 Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:41 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:They always back up what each other say, doesnt matter what it is. Heater should just admit the comment made was extremely wrong for someone sitting at home typing on a computer to make about anyone who is injured while playing hard for any team.

Meh, I don't care. If he misses 5 weeks I'll be as surprised as she is. Have the surgery, take the anti-swelling pills and put the cage on. I expected him to be back the same game.

If it's an orbital bone, then fine, if it's something more than the jaw, then fine. If it's a deep laceration of the jaw - see you in a week, with a cage.

32Vanek to miss 5 weeks - Page 3 Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:43 pm

Neely4Life wrote:
Tukker wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:
Tukker wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:
504Heater wrote:By flip shot, do you mean a 100+ MPH baseball?

Then yes. It sucks. Life goes on. Vanek will return in less than 2 weeks.

Ill take a baseball any day over a puck. Ive taken both, a baseball more than a puck.

She actually questioned him, thats the point. Whether or not he returns is irrelivant. I dont care if you guys are married or not, the comment was stupid and 100% ignorant.

that comment was stupid and 100% ignorant.

They always back up what each other say, doesnt matter what it is. Heater should just admit the comment made was extremely wrong for someone sitting at home typing on a computer to make about anyone who is injured while playing hard for any team.
Asq and Hemlock are always on the same page.... what are you implying?

in all seriousness, you said you weren't married. Once you are, then you get the right to make comments like that.

I lived with someone for two years, who cares. I'll tell the person when they are WRONG.

I've seen the way you respond to people you don't agree with, and it's far more than telling them they are wrong.

33Vanek to miss 5 weeks - Page 3 Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:43 pm

Thats not the point, at all. The point was the original comment was totally uneducated and ignorant. It was wrong for her, or anyone to say something like that.

34Vanek to miss 5 weeks - Page 3 Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:44 pm

Tukker wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:
Tukker wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:
Tukker wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:

Ill take a baseball any day over a puck. Ive taken both, a baseball more than a puck.

She actually questioned him, thats the point. Whether or not he returns is irrelivant. I dont care if you guys are married or not, the comment was stupid and 100% ignorant.

that comment was stupid and 100% ignorant.

They always back up what each other say, doesnt matter what it is. Heater should just admit the comment made was extremely wrong for someone sitting at home typing on a computer to make about anyone who is injured while playing hard for any team.
Asq and Hemlock are always on the same page.... what are you implying?

in all seriousness, you said you weren't married. Once you are, then you get the right to make comments like that.

I lived with someone for two years, who cares. I'll tell the person when they are WRONG.

I've seen the way you respond to people you don't agree with, and it's far more than telling them they are wrong.

When you go after someone's character and desire after an injury like that, then ya, it is more than just wrong.

35Vanek to miss 5 weeks - Page 3 Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:49 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I don't really like the principle of this thread to be honest. I think questioning someone after an INJURY is quite ridiculous. I'm not gonna make any fuss about it, but I do think it's unwarranted to express a point of view that pretty much places the injured individual at blame and goes so far as to even call them selfish for being injured and not just dealing with it.

36Vanek to miss 5 weeks - Page 3 Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:51 pm

PKC wrote:I don't really like the principle of this thread to be honest. I think questioning someone after an INJURY is quite ridiculous. I'm not gonna make any fuss about it, but I do think it's unwarranted to express a point of view that pretty much places the injured individual at blame and goes so far as to even call them selfish for being injured and not just dealing with it.

THANK YOU!

37Vanek to miss 5 weeks - Page 3 Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:55 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Neely4Life wrote:

A baseball has almost the same mass as a puck (a baseball is 5 to 5.25 ounces, while a puck is 5.5 to 6). Force of the impact is mass times velocity squared. The impact will be very similar (I doubt Volchenkov's one-timer was anywhere Chara's numbers, so a 100 mph baseball is likely more dangerous).

The shape of the impact will be different -- for example, a baseball may not lacerate the cheek -- but the amount of damage will be very similar. Both have nearly no give to them so the force of the impact will not be absorbed over a larger surface area.

I took a softball to the mouth once and ended up with two of my teeth poking through my lower lip and bent back. Technically it was a broken jaw because the part of the jaw that held the teeth still held them, except now it was cracked and pushed back. Thirteen stitches inside and out and two root canals. Not fun. And I'm sure it wasn't traveling anywhere near 100 mph (although it has a greater mass than a puck). Oh, but it was just a softball, so what's the big deal, right?

38Vanek to miss 5 weeks - Page 3 Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Let's see what offended the always affable Neely so much:

1.So with the Sabres in a playoff spot and fighting their way up the standings, is it fair for Vanek to be taking 5 weeks off for a lacerated/broken jaw?

She obviously meant the 5 weeks off not as a vacation, but as in, 5 weeks to heal.

2.There have been many similar injuries to many players in the league, I can't remember the last time a player has missed that much time for a broken/lacerated jaw. This is why cages exist, no?

Me neither, and yes indeed.

3.Is it necessary for him to miss that long? He is the top scoring player on the team, some would argue, their most valuable player going into the end stretch of the season and the playoffs.

No, I doubt he'll let it come to that. Good question though. Are there any doctors in tha' house?

4.What do you all think of him missing this time? Is it necessary? What kind of a leader hangs their team out to dry like this?

All questions. Poor choice of words at the end, but all questions none the less.

Don't take things quite so seriously or literally. I think she questions the amount of time he's scheduled to be out - not the quality of his character.

I would just leave it at that. Just...leave it at that, it's annoying. You've said your piece, now let 'er go.

Thanks.

39Vanek to miss 5 weeks - Page 3 Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:00 pm

wprager wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:

A baseball has almost the same mass as a puck (a baseball is 5 to 5.25 ounces, while a puck is 5.5 to 6). Force of the impact is mass times velocity squared. The impact will be very similar (I doubt Volchenkov's one-timer was anywhere Chara's numbers, so a 100 mph baseball is likely more dangerous).

The shape of the impact will be different -- for example, a baseball may not lacerate the cheek -- but the amount of damage will be very similar. Both have nearly no give to them so the force of the impact will not be absorbed over a larger surface area.

I took a softball to the mouth once and ended up with two of my teeth poking through my lower lip and bent back. Technically it was a broken jaw because the part of the jaw that held the teeth still held them, except now it was cracked and pushed back. Thirteen stitches inside and out and two root canals. Not fun. And I'm sure it wasn't traveling anywhere near 100 mph (although it has a greater mass than a puck). Oh, but it was just a softball, so what's the big deal, right?

I wasnt about to go into what injuries ive recieved playing both hockey and baseball, and Im not going to. A puck can def do more damage than a baseball though, based simply on, what you said, the shape of it. Pucks are also frozen.

40Vanek to miss 5 weeks - Page 3 Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:02 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Tukker wrote:Asq and Hemlock are always on the same page.... what are you implying?

Yeah, what are you implying? :x Razz

41Vanek to miss 5 weeks - Page 3 Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:03 pm

asq2 wrote:
Tukker wrote:Asq and Hemlock are always on the same page.... what are you implying?

Yeah, what are you implying? :x Razz

Are you guys married....? dont lie now!

42Vanek to miss 5 weeks - Page 3 Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:14 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

We've been found out! affraid

43Vanek to miss 5 weeks - Page 3 Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:54 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

asq2 wrote:We've been found out! affraid
When's the wedding?

All gmhockey.com members invited?

Open bar?

Wink

44Vanek to miss 5 weeks - Page 3 Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:34 pm

shabbs wrote:
asq2 wrote:We've been found out! affraid
When's the wedding?

All gmhockey.com members invited?

Open bar?

Wink
Who's the best men?

45Vanek to miss 5 weeks - Page 3 Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:14 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Tukker wrote:
504Heater wrote:
Tukker wrote:Rolling Eyes

Did you change your avatar again? You can't get comfortable, can you?

Me neither. Although, I'll stick with the Muppet theme for a while, if anyone sees a cool pic of Ryan Shannon - preferable sitting on the bench with Fisher and Foligno, let me know please!
trying to find one that fits me. i had the Turris one for ever, and the filatov for a while. i had a couple .gifs that didnt work. I love this one though.

btw- Swedish Chef FTW

BSG (my avatar is a Centurion from Battlestar Galactica) only has 7 episodes left and, frankly, it's a shadow of its former self. So I'll be looking for a new avatar soon.

46Vanek to miss 5 weeks - Page 3 Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:20 pm

wprager wrote:
Tukker wrote:
504Heater wrote:
Tukker wrote:Rolling Eyes

Did you change your avatar again? You can't get comfortable, can you?

Me neither. Although, I'll stick with the Muppet theme for a while, if anyone sees a cool pic of Ryan Shannon - preferable sitting on the bench with Fisher and Foligno, let me know please!
trying to find one that fits me. i had the Turris one for ever, and the filatov for a while. i had a couple .gifs that didnt work. I love this one though.

btw- Swedish Chef FTW

BSG (my avatar is a Centurion from Battlestar Galactica) only has 7 episodes left and, frankly, it's a shadow of its former self. So I'll be looking for a new avatar soon.
I always wondered what your avatar was.

Anyone know what mine is? :D

47Vanek to miss 5 weeks - Page 3 Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:38 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:

I always wondered what that was as well. I thought it was a thing from Halo or something. :D

I've been told to go back and watch the BSG series by a lot of people. I'll do that pretty soon.

48Vanek to miss 5 weeks - Page 3 Empty Re: Vanek to miss 5 weeks Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:39 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Tukker wrote:
Anyone know what mine is? :D

Trick question? It appears to be some country CD by someone named Jason Aldean?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum