GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kovalchuk could miss up to five weeks

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Kovalchuk could miss up to five weeks Empty Kovalchuk could miss up to five weeks Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:56 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Out with a broken foot.

FOX Sports wrote:Kovalchuk, the Thrashers' captain and one of the league's top scorers, is expected to miss three to five weeks with a broken bone in his right foot, the team announced on Monday.
The team said the break was found in a CT scan.

You can read about the injury more here, and if you scroll on the right, I believe there is a video of it:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=503615

Sucks for the Thrashers, but this will really allow Kovy to witness the team around him, and gauge whether it's going in the right direction. With a good showing, it could cement a re-signing deal.

Evander Kane will take his spot on the top-line.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Also, Atlanta is misspelled in the board's title.

3Kovalchuk could miss up to five weeks Empty Re: Kovalchuk could miss up to five weeks Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:53 pm

Quite a nice opportunity for Kane, but bad for Atl on the whole. Kovalchuk is definitely the straw that stirs that drink.

4Kovalchuk could miss up to five weeks Empty Re: Kovalchuk could miss up to five weeks Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:01 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

More pressure than ever on the rest of the cast. But, if they do well, they'd show Kovy it's worthwhile to re-sign.

Pretty serious event, in more ways than one.

asq2 wrote:More pressure than ever on the rest of the cast. But, if they do well, they'd show Kovy it's worthwhile to re-sign.

No doubt more pressure. Guys like Antropov are really going to have to step it up. They can't expect Kane to step in and replace Kovalchuk, not by a long shot. It will definitely be done by committee. Do you really think the team's showing with him, will be that big of a factor in Kovalchuk re-signing? He reportedly likes the city, and is immensely popular. If Waddell gets even a sniff of Kovy wanting to leave though, he'd better not wait until 3 minutes before the trade deadline like he did with Hossa.

My bet is he re-signs though, and for less than people think.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
asq2 wrote:More pressure than ever on the rest of the cast. But, if they do well, they'd show Kovy it's worthwhile to re-sign.

No doubt more pressure. Guys like Antropov are really going to have to step it up. They can't expect Kane to step in and replace Kovalchuk, not by a long shot. It will definitely be done by committee. Do you really think the team's showing with him, will be that big of a factor in Kovalchuk re-signing? He reportedly likes the city, and is immensely popular. If Waddell gets even a sniff of Kovy wanting to leave though, he'd better not wait until 3 minutes before the trade deadline like he did with Hossa.

My bet is he re-signs though, and for less than people think.

I think it'll be something factoring into the discussions. He's a competitive guy who wants to win.

It's been proven that despite his superstardom, Kovy can't bring a team to the playoffs on his own. The only time they've made it is when he hasn't had a terrible team around him.

If the team loses all its games handily while he's injured, it'll make re-signing less tenable. If they prove they're on the rise (which, with Kane and Bogosian, I believe is the case), then that may reduce the number he asks for and/or further convince him to stay.

Let's see what they've got.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Why do I now see the "thanks" button? Is it because I'm the thread-starter?

These new gizmos are too confusing for me. I miss the good ole days.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Wow, good thing I didn't pick him in the pool. I did, however, draft Antropov, hoping he'd click on the top line. He hasn't, but maybe this will give him top-line minutes with Kane, now.

The South East just got a little bit easier. Ironically, though, they only play in-division games three times over the stretch. They play the Caps as many times as they play the Sens, for example. It's a weir month of November for them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum