GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man?

+6
SensFan71
asq2
PTFlea
wprager
Tuk Tuk
shabbs
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Empty Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:53 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Could be... Waddell may be putting together a massive offer...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/10/kovalchuk_may_be_next_100m_man.html

That's a lot of coin.

2Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Empty Re: Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:58 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

This article really makes me respect Kovalchuk more.

Kovalchuk is the perfect salesman for the team. Despite occasional
frustration with losing, he has never demanded a trade or been tainted
by any whiff of scandal. He’s worked hard to improve his game. His wife
is Russian, but their two children are Georgia-born, with a third on
the way. People joke about the fan base, but make no mistake, he is
beloved. If Kovalchuk leaves, you might as well lock the doors, pack up
the big trucks and move the franchise.

He is more of a leader than he gets credit for. He’s embraced the
captaincy, aiding Waddell in recruiting several players who’ve helped
the Thrashers get off to a good start. It was Kovalchuk who ordered
Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin to settle their differences, not wanting
their feud to jeopardize Russia’s Olympic chances.

3Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Empty Re: Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:51 pm

Tuk Tuk wrote:This article really makes me respect Kovalchuk more.

Kovalchuk is the perfect salesman for the team. Despite occasional
frustration with losing, he has never demanded a trade or been tainted
by any whiff of scandal. He’s worked hard to improve his game. His wife
is Russian, but their two children are Georgia-born, with a third on
the way. People joke about the fan base, but make no mistake, he is
beloved. If Kovalchuk leaves, you might as well lock the doors, pack up
the big trucks and move the franchise.

He is more of a leader than he gets credit for. He’s embraced the
captaincy, aiding Waddell in recruiting several players who’ve helped
the Thrashers get off to a good start. It was Kovalchuk who ordered
Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin to settle their differences, not wanting
their feud to jeopardize Russia’s Olympic chances.

In other words, worth every cent.

4Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Empty Re: Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:22 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

They should make him a $150M man.

$10M x 15 years

That will take him to age 41.

Wink

5Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Empty Re: Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:22 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

...he has never demanded a trade or been tainted
by any whiff of scandal

Oh, really. I remember a few years back I drafted him in a pool while he was threatening not to report to camp. Memory is a little fuzzy, but I remember he was in Russia, and his pregnant g/f was in New York. I felt pretty safe picking him because I couldn't believe a father-to-be would want to spend too much time away from his young family. At worst, I figured he would ask for a trade to the Rangers. As it happened, he only missed a few games (4 or so), but that was definitely a controversy.

6Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Empty Re: Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:40 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:They should make him a $150M man.

$10M x 15 years

Wink

Are you serious? 10 million? Or are you kidding? 8.5 is the max I'd go for him IMO, but I see how much he's worth to the Thrashers.

7Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Empty Re: Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:49 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:They should make him a $150M man.

$10M x 15 years

Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Icon_wink

Are you serious? 10 million? Or are you kidding? 8.5 is the max I'd go for him IMO, but I see how much he's worth to the Thrashers.
I was joking.

8Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Empty Re: Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:53 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

He went on record recently as saying that this year's Atlanta team is the best yet.

And they were pretty good in 2005-2006.

I think he'll stay. I also think, in terms of offence, he's only a hair worse than Ovechkin. And he's finally got some talent around him again.

9Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Empty Re: Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:41 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Man if this deal gets consumated, the wind will go out of the sails of Brian Burke, I think Toronto fans/brass think that every big name upcoming FA is Toronto's to lose, it seemed to be that way with Nash and I imagine up until Kovalchuk puts pen to paper on a deal with Atlanta, the Leafs will be thinking they can get this guy.

10Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Empty Re: Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:53 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I'll bet he gets 9 million per. 8 or 9 year deal

11Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Empty Re: Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:48 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SensFan71 wrote:Man if this deal gets consumated, the wind will go out of the sails of Brian Burke, I think Toronto fans/brass think that every big name upcoming FA is Toronto's to lose, it seemed to be that way with Nash and I imagine up until Kovalchuk puts pen to paper on a deal with Atlanta, the Leafs will be thinking they can get this guy.

I'm not sure the fans think that anymore. Tickets for Leafs games are getting sold for half price. To borrow a line from Wallace and Gromit, the spring has gone out of their bungie.

12Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Empty Re: Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:52 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I would give him a one-year, one million dollar deal to prove he's worth that big contract.

13Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Empty Re: Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:06 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:Man if this deal gets consumated, the wind will go out of the sails of Brian Burke, I think Toronto fans/brass think that every big name upcoming FA is Toronto's to lose, it seemed to be that way with Nash and I imagine up until Kovalchuk puts pen to paper on a deal with Atlanta, the Leafs will be thinking they can get this guy.

I'm not sure the fans think that anymore. Tickets for Leafs games are getting sold for half price. To borrow a line from Wallace and Gromit, the spring has gone out of their bungie.

Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? 62136 Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? 62136 Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? 62136 About time they came crashing back to reality, but at the same time, has Ottawa sold out a home game yet? Maybe it's the economic times playing a role instead?

14Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Empty Re: Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:33 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

beedub wrote:I'll bet he gets 9 million per. 8 or 9 year deal

That sounds in the ballpark. 10 million is too much. That's more than Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, Chara or Lidstrom make - the best players in the game.

15Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Empty Re: Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:59 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:
wprager wrote:

Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? 62136 Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? 62136 Kovalchuk to be the next $100M man? 62136 About time they came crashing back to reality, but at the same time, has Ottawa sold out a home game yet? Maybe it's the economic times playing a role instead?

Yes Ottawa sold out there only Saturday home game so far this season vs. Atlanta with an announced attendance of approx. 19,300.

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum