GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ilya Kovalchuk to sign monster extension ???

+4
PKC
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
jamvan
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Word is Kovalchuk is close to signing a deal that will pay him around $11 million a season!!!!

Add here as you hear information...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Please tell me you didn't see that on Ek's thread...

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Don't contracts top-out at 10-million?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:Don't contracts top-out at 10-million?
The limit for any one player is 20% of the cap.

Current cap: $56.8M

20% of that = $11.36M

Voila.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Don't contracts top-out at 10-million?
The limit for any one player is 20% of the cap.

Current cap: $56.8M

20% of that = $11.36M

Voila.

Yeah, I just checked. Good for him if it's true.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

jamvan wrote:Word is Kovalchuk is close to signing a deal that will pay him around $11 million a season!!!!

Add here as you hear information...

Why would they pay anyone more than Ovechkin?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I heard it too Jam, but I assumed they meant that he'd get a massively front loaded contract. No way the Thrashers pay him the league max. I think he ends up with 8 though, which is still amazing.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:I heard it too Jam, but I assumed they meant that he'd get a massively front loaded contract. No way the Thrashers pay him the league max. I think he ends up with 8 though, which is still amazing.

Come into chat for a minute Spez.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Hmmm... Kovalchuk = star... franchise player. Atlanta = not mayn players' first choice for a team as well as a non-playoff team (at least not SC contending). They may have the potential to get there one day, maybe sooner than I or we think, but in the meantime, you really cannot lose your star player, and if paying him the league max is what it takes, they might do it. They are far from a cap ceiling team, and as long as the owner's willing to pay, so be it. Sometimes you have to (over)pay to keep your players, teammates, and fans happy.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What's 20% of $56.8M less 10%? What happens if the cap drops 10% and his contract is $775K over that 20%? Just how are you supposed to have a guaranteed contracts with a hard (but variable) cap? Do they build in disincentive clauses?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:What's 20% of $56.8M less 10%? What happens if the cap drops 10% and his contract is $775K over that 20%? Just how are you supposed to have a guaranteed contracts with a hard (but variable) cap? Do they build in disincentive clauses?
Good question. If a players salary is right at the 20% mark and the cap goes down... does his salary go down as well?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I don't think so.... maybe the cap hit is adjusted though? Can't change the player's contract because of the economy - you offered it and he signed it, just like the player *cannot* re-negotiate during his contract.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:What's 20% of $56.8M less 10%? What happens if the cap drops 10% and his contract is $775K over that 20%? Just how are you supposed to have a guaranteed contracts with a hard (but variable) cap? Do they build in disincentive clauses?
Good question. If a players salary is right at the 20% mark and the cap goes down... does his salary go down as well?

From the disscussions I've seen here, it seems to me that salaries and cap hits are locked-in even if the cap goes down. I can't see how they could be, but that seems to be the consensus.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Dash wrote:I don't think so.... maybe the cap hit is adjusted though? Can't change the player's contract because of the economy - you offered it and he signed it, just like the player *cannot* re-negotiate during his contract.
Or would the excess go into escrow?

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Pretty sure the salary would remain the same, regardless of cap fluctuations. Every other salary in the league does.

Yet another reason why I have been maintaining for some time now that the new CBA will not survive a prolonged dip in revenues. The combo of fixed, guaranteed salaries and a fluctuating league-wide cap is a recipe for disaster.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum