GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ilya Kovalchuk to sign monster extension ???

+4
PKC
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
jamvan
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:What's 20% of $56.8M less 10%? What happens if the cap drops 10% and his contract is $775K over that 20%? Just how are you supposed to have a guaranteed contracts with a hard (but variable) cap? Do they build in disincentive clauses?
Good question. If a players salary is right at the 20% mark and the cap goes down... does his salary go down as well?

From the disscussions I've seen here, it seems to me that salaries and cap hits are locked-in even if the cap goes down. I can't see how they could be, but that seems to be the consensus.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Dash wrote:I don't think so.... maybe the cap hit is adjusted though? Can't change the player's contract because of the economy - you offered it and he signed it, just like the player *cannot* re-negotiate during his contract.
Or would the excess go into escrow?

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Pretty sure the salary would remain the same, regardless of cap fluctuations. Every other salary in the league does.

Yet another reason why I have been maintaining for some time now that the new CBA will not survive a prolonged dip in revenues. The combo of fixed, guaranteed salaries and a fluctuating league-wide cap is a recipe for disaster.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:Pretty sure the salary would remain the same, regardless of cap fluctuations. Every other salary in the league does.

Yet another reason why I have been maintaining for some time now that the new CBA will not survive a prolonged dip in revenues. The combo of fixed, guaranteed salaries and a fluctuating league-wide cap is a recipe for disaster.

You'd think those eggheads who came up with this would have seen this coming. Shrug

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Pretty sure the salary would remain the same, regardless of cap fluctuations. Every other salary in the league does.

You'd think those eggheads who came up with this would have seen this coming. Shrug
Eggheads: "What? Salary cap decreasing? Surely you're joking... that would never happen. Now, pass me that cigar and let's hit the golf course with some hookers and blow."

Heh heh.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Wrong sport, Shabbs. You need to insert a few "Ehs?" in there to make it sound authentic.

OK, so no-one's got terms yet? It's 4 years, but for how much?
Edit: Ooops, sorry, wrong thread.

Last edited by wprager on Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Wrong sport, Shabbs. You need to insert a few "Ehs?" in there to make it sound authentic.

OK, so no-one's got terms yet? It's 4 years, but for how much?
Heh. I was putting an American spin on it... Bettman style...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Here's a Russian article on the subject...

Original: http://allhockey.ru/news/57412/

Maybe prager can read that for us. Wink

Google Translation of it:

Source: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fallhockey.ru%2Fnews%2F57412%2F&sl=ru&tl=en&history_state0=

"Atlanta" is going to sign a multi-year contract with Ilya Kovalchuk. At the same time forward the annual salary of $ 11.36 million a year - the maximum possible in the NHL.

In these days of negotiations between Dzheem Grossman, Kovalchuk agent and general manager of "Atlanta" Don Uoddellom. The agent refused the player's official comments. Uoddell also confirmed that the club intends to enter into long-term contract with Kovalchuk.

"Atlanta" Ilya offer a contract in which he will earn $ 11.36 million a year. This is the maximum fee allowed by the League. Every hockey player can receive a maximum of 20% of the wage ceiling ($ 56.8 million next season).

This will be a record for NHL postlokautnogo period. Earlier in the league, no player has not earned such amount of space. For comparison: in the next season, Alexander Ovechkina fee of $ 9 million, and Sidney Crosby - $ 8.7 million

Source: Soviet Sport
July 22, 2009, Wednesday. 10:59 10:59

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dzheem Grossman

Hee-hee. The name must be Jay, but in this specific situation with the preposition "between" in front of it, it has to take on the suffix "em". So then the name in Russian becomes "Jay-em" which Goole translates as "Dzheem".

Don Uoddellom

Now, this one is interesting. The suffix "om" is added to both the first and last names because of the preposition "with" before it (Don Wadell -- the letter 'W' is often replaced in Russian as 'Uo'). Thing is, they correctly removed the suffix from the first name, but not the last name.

Other than that, there's not much in the article that you don't get from Google.

Has it been confirmed, then, that he is getting the max?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I haven't seen any confirmation yet...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well, didn't the Russians "report" Kovalev re-signing with Montreal?

Or did they really mean he was resigning *from* Montreal?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I guess this was a miss too?

Frustrated1

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum