GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

what's next for the Sens?

+6
davetherave
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
Jordo
Cronie
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

31what's next for the Sens? - Page 3 Empty Re: what's next for the Sens? Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:00 am

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Hem, you're a toddler compared to Tuk and me. But DaveTheOld remembers the six-league team. Now, granted, I didn't get to Canada until '74 or '75 so I couldn't *remember* the six team league, but I don't even know if I was alive back then. A quick check tells me the Original Six lasted until the '67 expansion. So I *am* old enough to remember the last few years.

Old people love hockey too :farao:

...and yes, it DOES get better after 50. 8)

Last edited by davetherave on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

32what's next for the Sens? - Page 3 Empty Re: what's next for the Sens? Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:35 pm

davetherave wrote:
wprager wrote:Hem, you're a toddler compared to Tuk and me. But DaveTheOld remembers the six-league team. Now, granted, I didn't get to Canada until '74 or '75 so I couldn't *remember* the six team league, but I don't even know if I was alive back then. A quick check tells me the Original Six lasted until the '67 expansion. So I *am* old enough to remember the last few years.

Old people love hockey too :farao:

...and yes, it DOES get better after 50. 8)

I'll guess 53? :face:

33what's next for the Sens? - Page 3 Empty Re: what's next for the Sens? Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:13 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Tukk--good guess! 54...and still playing...

I have to admit I am extremely fortunate to have been able to watch the legends of the'Original Six' like The Rocket, Jacques Plante, Doug Harvey, Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr, Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Johnny Bower, Terry Sawchuk, Andy Bathgate among others, in their prime...and so many more great players since then.

Not being nostalgic, but I can say without reservation that players in the 'Original Six' all performed with a level of committment that would put many of today's young millionaires to shame. With only six teams, there just weren't that many jobs to be had.

But the game today has a different dimension. And so many exciting players.

Right now, enjoying the Hawks-Flames contest. Non stop action. Looks like a playoff game.
:D :D :D

Two terrific teams with two excellent goalies.

Last edited by davetherave on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

34what's next for the Sens? - Page 3 Empty Re: what's next for the Sens? Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:47 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

^I think Duncan Keith might be the best defenceman in the league right now.

I say that with all due respect to Chara, Lidstrom, Weber and Green.

35what's next for the Sens? - Page 3 Empty Hawkey Talk Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:06 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Asq, agree that Duncan Keith is playing some very fine hockey right now. I don't know that he ranks with Chara and Lidstrom, but he seems to be getting better as the season goes on.

Again, the core of the Hawks' success is that they emphasize, buy into, and execute based on, a T-E-A-M concept.

Tonight's victory over the Flames--a daunting opponent--was an excellent example, with Ladd, Walker and Burish providing the scoring. Stopping Toews, Kane and Sharp doesn't make the Hawks less dangerous.

They all play defense--their checking was especially tenacious tonight, though there were a few lapses...

And their goaltending, both from 'Bulin and Huet, is hot.

These kids have a terrific attitude and they are committed to constant improvement. You can hear it in their interviews--they never let themselves rest on their laurels.

After a number of difficult years, this franchise and this team are on the rise again.
:D :D :D

36what's next for the Sens? - Page 3 Empty Re: what's next for the Sens? Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:47 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I would LOVE to see a Bruins - Hawks SCF this year!! What a series that would be...

37what's next for the Sens? - Page 3 Empty Re: what's next for the Sens? Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:06 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'd prefer an all Canadian Final but that won't be happening for a long time Sad

- Unknown Author

38what's next for the Sens? - Page 3 Empty Re: what's next for the Sens? Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:09 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Bruins - Sharks would be interesting as well, after the Thornton trade.

39what's next for the Sens? - Page 3 Empty Re: what's next for the Sens? Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:40 pm

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Cronenbergfan wrote:I would LOVE to see a Bruins - Hawks SCF this year!! What a series that would be...

I would too-but there's still alot of question marks about Tim Thomas. Quite frankly, I don't really buy into it... but the media will have you believe they aren't going to go far.

With the B's defense, Thomas and Fernandez bringing in the rear, and their balanced attack on the forward (Don't forget they were missing Lucic last night)... I think Boston's pretty set to make a good run this year...

I'd be thrilled if we saw a Detroit/Chicago final in the west combined with a Boston/Montreal in the east (with Boston sweeping them and absolutely demolishing the Habs).

Get all the original 6 back in there.... Would be amazing to see.

40what's next for the Sens? - Page 3 Empty Re: what's next for the Sens? Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:19 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

At some point Tim Thomas' luck will run out and their D will be exposed by (Washington) a fast team.

They still might make the Cup, but I can see Washington making it, even with the necktie they have hanging in their net.

I like SJ to win it all personally. I doubt Chicago could match them or Detroit. It would be neat though.

41what's next for the Sens? - Page 3 Empty Re: what's next for the Sens? Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:29 pm

Its time for people to start giving the guy some credit... but I guess the more motivation the better for the guy.

When did Hasek stop being lucky and start being legit? Maybe when Thomas wins the Vezina people will give the guy some credit.

42what's next for the Sens? - Page 3 Empty Re: what's next for the Sens? Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:25 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Win a Cup and I'll be a believer.

43what's next for the Sens? - Page 3 Empty Re: what's next for the Sens? Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:30 pm

504Heater wrote:Win a Cup and I'll be a believer.

The thing I dont get is, how can people talk about Lundqvist being one of the best in the game, and not Thomas? Their NHL careers are almost a mirror of each other, just doesnt look like most goalies when he makes a save.

Who would you rather have right now? The answer should be Thomas, but the majority of people would sya Lundqvist. Hell, I would have said Lundqvist if I didnt just write this.

44what's next for the Sens? - Page 3 Empty Re: what's next for the Sens? Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:44 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

According to Pierre LeBrun, Tobias Enstrom was a target but Murray was rebuffed. He says that talks have also been held with the Islanders and Jackets.

I think what's next is not much.

45what's next for the Sens? - Page 3 Empty Re: what's next for the Sens? Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:48 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:

The thing I dont get is, how can people talk about Lundqvist being one of the best in the game, and not Thomas? Their NHL careers are almost a mirror of each other, just doesnt look like most goalies when he makes a save.

Who would you rather have right now? The answer should be Thomas, but the majority of people would sya Lundqvist. Hell, I would have said Lundqvist if I didnt just write this.

I dunno. Lundqvist is just more convincing for me. He's so big, cool and well-positioned in that net. And he's got agility and quickness.

That's not to say Thomas isn't convincing, he just seems to rely on luck at times.

46what's next for the Sens? - Page 3 Empty Re: what's next for the Sens? Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:58 pm

asq2 wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:

I dunno. Lundqvist is just more convincing for me. He's so big, cool and well-positioned in that net. And he's got agility and quickness.

That's not to say Thomas isn't convincing, he just seems to rely on luck at times.

The Dom was the greatest goalie of the last 10 years(with all respect to Brodeur and Roy) in my opinion. It may look like he's relying on luck, but Thomas obviously has an idea of what he's doing.

But I would still take King Henrik

47what's next for the Sens? - Page 3 Empty Re: what's next for the Sens? Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:03 pm

Unorthodox goalies never seem to get respect until they sustain a long playoff run. Then the idiots media call them genius...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum