GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Would you trade our 1st round pick?

+9
LeCaptain
TeamRenzo
Cap'n Clutch
Mojo
dennycrane
SeawaySensFan
asq2
Riprock
PTFlea
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

31Would you trade our 1st round pick? - Page 3 Empty Re: Would you trade our 1st round pick? Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:45 pm

Mojo wrote:
hemlock wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:
TeamRenzo wrote:
asq2 wrote:
Tukker wrote:Kyle Turris, J. Toews, Kane, Gagner(maybe)

Not for Gagner, and the first three aren't going anywhere.

I wouldn't. Hedman has the ability to be something else.

Again you are over valuing Hedman, he will not be a generational player.
I have to ask, what are you basing your opinion on?

Ignorance. Noone here that's a "Hedman booster" has come right out and guaranteed or even stated that Hedman WILL be a generational defensive. He does have that potential though, and that's what we are saying.

It's funny TeamRenzo, you never seem to question DRR when he GUARANTEES that Tavares will be better than Hedman, but you question some of us when we talk about the potential of Hedman. Little bit of a double standard there isn't it?

I don't know, before the WJC there was a lot of Hedman loving going on here. It has died down quite a bit since then. He probably will become a good NHL player, but from his performance at the WJC, he is not as much of a shoe in as everyone thought. He has a lot of work to do. Tavares on the other, although having his faults, will probably immediately join an NHL squad next year and likely contend for the Calder.

After Ovechkin played agaisnt Canada as the go to guy for Russia, people questioned whether he could compete consistantly at the next level as well, same with Malkin. Hedman is in the same boat.

32Would you trade our 1st round pick? - Page 3 Empty Re: Would you trade our 1st round pick? Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:04 pm

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

Playing against Team Canada has a way of making you look very average.

33Would you trade our 1st round pick? - Page 3 Empty Re: Would you trade our 1st round pick? Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:35 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Also, people should remember that this is a tournament for 19 year olds, for the most part.

Hedman turned 18 I believe on the day of the Sweden-Canada friendly.

34Would you trade our 1st round pick? - Page 3 Empty Re: Would you trade our 1st round pick? Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:38 pm

PKC wrote:Playing against Team Canada has a way of making you look very average.

Thats exaclty it, people who play for Canada tend to look better than they really are, and people who play against them tend to look worse. Plus, Hedman is also dealing with injuries.

I have not a lot of doubt that Tavares will be the number 1 guy, but I'm a firm believer you build from the back forward, and Hedman is my guy, no matter what.

35Would you trade our 1st round pick? - Page 3 Empty Re: Would you trade our 1st round pick? Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:41 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I also seem to recall that before the 1993 draft there was something like an All-Star game for the prospects of sorts wherein Daigle was absolutely dazzling and Pronger looked like a dud.

Just goes to show you that performances in a Junior Tournament aren't always the end-all be-all.

Hedman could be in the NHL next season and be fine as well. Don't try to limit his game to being tall and skating fast. His on-ice vision is great, his puck skills are fantastic, he's got a big shot and a nice pass, end-to-end rushing ability and he's quite smart and effective defensively.

How many people played in the OHL as a 14 year old? One. Tavares.

How many people have entered the Swedish Elite League at the same or younger age than when Hedman entered? One. Hedman.

Both are great players and great prospects. I feel like Hedman has more ultimate potential and that he fills a greater need for us. Therefore, I'll take Hedman.

36Would you trade our 1st round pick? - Page 3 Empty Re: Would you trade our 1st round pick? Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:42 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Actually, I think I was responding to DRR's post in they "If you were the GM of the Sens..." forum with the above post.

37Would you trade our 1st round pick? - Page 3 Empty Re: Would you trade our 1st round pick? Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:43 pm

asq2 wrote:I also seem to recall that before the 1993 draft there was something like an All-Star game for the prospects of sorts wherein Daigle was absolutely dazzling and Pronger looked like a dud.

Just goes to show you that performances in a Junior Tournament aren't always the end-all be-all.

Hedman could be in the NHL next season and be fine as well. Don't try to limit his game to being tall and skating fast. His on-ice vision is great, his puck skills are fantastic, he's got a big shot and a nice pass, end-to-end rushing ability and he's quite smart and effective defensively.

How many people played in the OHL as a 14 year old? One. Tavares.

How many people have entered the Swedish Elite League at the same or younger age than when Hedman entered? One. Hedman.

Both are great players and great prospects. I feel like Hedman has more ultimate potential and that he fills a greater need for us. Therefore, I'll take Hedman.

Ill be objective here as I love Hedman, but his shot isnt anything to write home about haha. Its a nice shot, nothing special though.

38Would you trade our 1st round pick? - Page 3 Empty Re: Would you trade our 1st round pick? Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:45 pm

Karlsson can fire that thing though, WOW. That kid has a monster shot!

39Would you trade our 1st round pick? - Page 3 Empty Re: Would you trade our 1st round pick? Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:49 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

I really couldn't care less about any prospect until he is drafted. I didn't watch five minutes of the WJC. Easily the most over-hyped sporting event I have ever seen, IMO.

The Sens would be foolish to part with their 1st rd. pick. If they could move the SJ pick for as part of a package for a young player that they have salary control over and can help the team get on a roll for next year, then do it. Or take a player and the SJ pick to move up in the 1st round. I would say that the same goes for the 2010 1st round pick.

40Would you trade our 1st round pick? - Page 3 Empty Re: Would you trade our 1st round pick? Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:29 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

If I had to I'd trade the SJ 1st if it meant moving up into the top 10 but preferably the top 5. My preference would be to move a player to get into the top 5 and keep both present 1st.

41Would you trade our 1st round pick? - Page 3 Empty Re: Would you trade our 1st round pick? Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:18 pm

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

dennycrane wrote:I really couldn't care less about any prospect until he is drafted. I didn't watch five minutes of the WJC. Easily the most over-hyped sporting event I have ever seen, IMO.

The Sens would be foolish to part with their 1st rd. pick. If they could move the SJ pick for as part of a package for a young player that they have salary control over and can help the team get on a roll for next year, then do it. Or take a player and the SJ pick to move up in the 1st round. I would say that the same goes for the 2010 1st round pick.

To each their own, but the last three games Canada played (USA, Russia, Sweden) was the most entertaining hockey I've seen in quite some time. Being at the gold medal game, I can honestly tell you I've never felt that kind of energy at any Senators game.

I can see what you're saying with prospects not always being highlights at the WJC and not coming into their own until the bigs- but to call it the most overhyped sporting event you've ever seen either makes you completely ignorant or just completely oblivious

42Would you trade our 1st round pick? - Page 3 Empty Re: Would you trade our 1st round pick? Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:29 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Phoenix30 wrote:If I had to I'd trade the SJ 1st if it meant moving up into the top 10 but preferably the top 5. My preference would be to move a player to get into the top 5 and keep both present 1st.

That would be ideal.

43Would you trade our 1st round pick? - Page 3 Empty Re: Would you trade our 1st round pick? Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:26 am

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

On the hedman subject... I know he wasn't overly impressive in the juniors but I'm thinking of his size and skill. Chara was not considered a top prospect thanks to his lack of skill at the time and with some time to mature he became a premiere dman. Hopefully the case can be the same with hedman

44Would you trade our 1st round pick? - Page 3 Empty Re: Would you trade our 1st round pick? Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:22 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

Neely4Life wrote:
Mojo wrote:
hemlock wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:
TeamRenzo wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Ignorance. Noone here that's a "Hedman booster" has come right out and guaranteed or even stated that Hedman WILL be a generational defensive. He does have that potential though, and that's what we are saying.

It's funny TeamRenzo, you never seem to question DRR when he GUARANTEES that Tavares will be better than Hedman, but you question some of us when we talk about the potential of Hedman. Little bit of a double standard there isn't it?

I don't know, before the WJC there was a lot of Hedman loving going on here. It has died down quite a bit since then. He probably will become a good NHL player, but from his performance at the WJC, he is not as much of a shoe in as everyone thought. He has a lot of work to do. Tavares on the other, although having his faults, will probably immediately join an NHL squad next year and likely contend for the Calder.

After Ovechkin played agaisnt Canada as the go to guy for Russia, people questioned whether he could compete consistantly at the next level as well, same with Malkin. Hedman is in the same boat.

I saw him at the first Sweden-Slovakia game. He only stuck out because of his size, not his performance. Karlsson looked way better.

45Would you trade our 1st round pick? - Page 3 Empty Re: Would you trade our 1st round pick? Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:51 am

Mojo wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:
Mojo wrote:
hemlock wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:
TeamRenzo wrote:
asq2 wrote:

I saw him at the first Sweden-Slovakia game. He only stuck out because of his size, not his performance. Karlsson looked way better.

People are overlooking the fact that Hedman was coming off a fairly serious shoulder injury in late November. That isn't the sole reason for his perceived less than stellar play, but it does affect it I'd say. Bottom line, right now, I think Hedman has alot more upside than Tavares. Tavares won't be much better, if at all in the NHL. Not unless he works on his skating and defensive game. Hedman is still raw and is certainly in need of polish no question, but I think he's got more potential going forward. Plus, like I've said, given the choice between a stud foward and stud d-man, I take the d-man everytime, especially considering Ottawa's needs.

46Would you trade our 1st round pick? - Page 3 Empty Re: Would you trade our 1st round pick? Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:21 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:If I had to I'd trade the SJ 1st if it meant moving up into the top 10 but preferably the top 5. My preference would be to move a player to get into the top 5 and keep both present 1st.

That would be too good to be true.

Fixed :afro:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum