GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher

+6
PTFlea
Riprock
asq2
LethalLehner
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Empty Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:58 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Both from the Booboo:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Hockey/2009/01/11/7985441-sun.html

It
would appear G Martin Gerber's days with the Senators are close to
being over. The veteran netminder is expected to be placed on waivers
in the next couple of days if the Senators can't deal him. It's
believed there was mild interest from the Canucks earlier this season,
but they passed. Brian Elliott was recalled from Binghamton of the AHL
to start last night's game vs. the Rangers, with Alex Auld serving as
backup. Gerber, however, did take the pre-game skate and had been out
on the ice earlier with goaltending coach Eli Wilson.

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hockey/2009/01/11/pf-7984086.html
The Oilers are eyeing the Senators for help at centre, but their No. 1 choice might not be Jason Spezza.
While league sources say the Oilers have a mild interest in
Ottawa's top centre, the man Edmonton GM Steve Tambellini really wants
in the middle is Mike Fisher.
Fisher has been struggling this season with only three goals in 35 games going into last night, after scoring 23 last season.
But the 28-year-old Fisher isn't one of the players the
Senators are looking to move -- despite his struggles and contract, an
average of $4.2 million (all terms US) for the next five seasons.
The Oilers wouldn't rule out bringing in Spezza, but his
seven-year, $49-million contract is tough to take on. Plus, Edmonton
would like to add a hard-nosed player, like Fisher.

The Ottawa Senators would have to be absolutely incompetent not to explore moving Fisher if there is interest.

The Gerber thing is just obvious.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So we're going to bury Gerber and then ride out the season with Auld and Elliott. Expensive for Melnyk, but I'm fine with that. Elliott will most likely be "the man" next year so maybe this is some good prep.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:So we're going to bury Gerber and then ride out the season with Auld and Elliott. Expensive for Melnyk, but I'm fine with that. Elliott will most likely be "the man" next year so maybe this is some good prep.

Which tells me that the "Tank Army" will be sorely disappointed.

LethalLehner

LethalLehner
Sophomore
Sophomore

SeawaySensFan wrote:Which tells me that the "Tank Army" will be sorely disappointed.

Having Elliott ride out the rest of the season here is not a big enough change to make this team win. He is a piece of that but other things have to change before the wins start happening again.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

ElliottRules wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Which tells me that the "Tank Army" will be sorely disappointed.

Having Elliott ride out the rest of the season here is not a big enough change to make this team win. He is a piece of that but other things have to change before the wins start happening again.

I was referring to the "expensive for Melnyk" part. He's not eating salary for this team to tank. Hence, other changes would be coming.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Why would we want to keep Fisher? We can't afford to pay someone top-4 money for that production.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
ElliottRules wrote:

I was referring to the "expensive for Melnyk" part. He's not eating salary for this team to tank. Hence, other changes would be coming.

To make the playoffs in the 8th seed against Boston, we would have to replicate what the Detroit Red Wings did in the first half of the season.

Melnyk's a shrewd guy. I don't think he's truly dumb enough to maintain that this team is a playoff contender.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think Garrioch is the one that wants to keep Fisher. The organization can't be that stupid.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

asq2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
ElliottRules wrote:

To make the playoffs in the 8th seed against Boston, we would have to replicate what the Detroit Red Wings did in the first half of the season.

Melnyk's a shrewd guy. I don't think he's truly dumb enough to maintain that this team is a playoff contender.

Then why would he sign off on burying Gerber's contract in the minors? I'd be shocked to find out that Eugene Melnyk doesn't want this season turned around somehow.

10Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:52 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Interesting, I too just heard the Fisher to EDM rumor from someone within the OHL today.

11Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:55 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

asq2 wrote:Melnyk's a shrewd guy. I don't think he's truly dumb enough to maintain that this team is a playoff contender.
At this point, I'd guess that Melnyk's vision for making the playoffs is purely for additional revenue.

12Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:00 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DashRiprock wrote:Interesting, I too just heard the Fisher to EDM rumor from someone within the OHL today.

Did that someone from the OHL hear it from Garrioch?

13Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:01 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
DashRiprock wrote:Interesting, I too just heard the Fisher to EDM rumor from someone within the OHL today.

Did that someone from the OHL hear it from Garrioch?
Or read this thread?

Wink

14Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:06 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
asq2 wrote:Melnyk's a shrewd guy. I don't think he's truly dumb enough to maintain that this team is a playoff contender.
At this point, I'd guess that Melnyk's vision for making the playoffs is purely for additional revenue.

I mean that he can't be stupid enough to believe that we can make the playoffs.

We'd have to go something like 30-11 the rest of the way just to get to face Boston.

15Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:07 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

asq2 wrote:
shabbs wrote:

I mean that he can't be stupid enough to believe that we can make the playoffs.

We'd have to go something like 30-11 the rest of the way just to get to face Boston.
Well, after hearing the "top 4" comment... I suspect his delusion runs deep.

Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum